Arrow vs McGuire

It doesn't take much to drop off from that early promise either, I especially love the comparisons of being the next so and so.

So much this. How many times have we heard 'This guy is the next blah blah blah' and then 2 or 3 years later they are struggling to make first grade. Remember how guaranteed it was that Kane Elgey would be the QLD halfback for a decade?

He's good, Carrigan is Arrow+ though and I'd be more pissed if we lost him. Bigger too.

Yeah this. And I don't mean this as a slight towards the OP but people really need to understand the concept of we can't keep them all and the constant 'Should we have kept him instead of him' threads are a bit tiresome.

Arrow vs McGuire are similar players and I don't think you can say either is overly better than the other, both are very good. The fact is we only need one of the type of player at the Broncos and given the stupid money thrown at Arrow by the Titans you stick with your established, prime of his career guy every day of the week. If we had kept Arrow as well it would have been at the expense of a TPJ/Sua/Joe O

Yep.

It was McGuire or Arrow. We couldn't justify paying Arrow decent money to sit on the bench, otherwise we'd lose some or most of the younger players. Not only was McCullough proven at the time, but he was under contract.

No different to Gillett vs Te'o back in the day. One or the other, with a salary cap you can't hoard them all on big money if you can only fit one in to your starting side.

It was another Wallace situation, he got offered a lot more and promised a starting spot we can’t top that.

I would be lying if I didn’t ask the same thing last night but the way things are going it might be TPJ vs Arrow and in that case I am happy with the choice the club made. Carrigan could be the goods as well.

Moose is good but limited. His lack of eye sight is probably the reason he doesn’t offload at all and with the 4th tackle runs well shouldn’t the halves or hooker be making the decision not him?

Happy arrow is going well and you never know he might find his way back it’s a funny game

Last edited:
Arrow is considerably better than "a dime a dozen high workrate forward"

He's the next Corey Parker and will likely be in rep teams for the next 10 years, we absolutely made a mistake by letting him leave, incredible defender, great tackling technique, runs hard, awesome offload, oh, and he's 22.
Even if that's true, that he's "rare", which I don't think that type of forward is, he's little to no value to our team comp. How is he better than McGuire in any way? Josh is 28 this year, young doesn't come into it, he has at least 5 good years if not longer. Discussing time frames beyond that is pointless, plenty of players flop mid/late career, it's purely guess work at that point.

TPJ/Haas are talents that are a lot harder to find, and add to our team composition by being a genuine point of difference.
I'm not saying he's not an excellent player, but we have someone like McGuire, who for all his faults is still a top class forward, what we didn't have is game breaking backrowers, and if keeping Arrow cost us one of the two I mentioned, I'd say that would be a big mistake.

Even if that's true, that he's "rare", which I don't think that type of forward is, he's little to no value to our team comp. How is he better than McGuire in any way? Josh is 28 this year, young doesn't come into it, he has at least 5 good years if not longer. Discussing time frames beyond that is pointless, plenty of players flop mid/late career, it's purely guess work at that point.

TPJ/Haas are talents that are a lot harder to find, and add to our team composition by being a genuine point of difference.
I'm not saying he's not an excellent player, but we have someone like McGuire, who for all his faults is still a top class forward, what we didn't have is game breaking backrowers, and if keeping Arrow cost us one of the two I mentioned, I'd say that would be a big mistake.

If we're being real for a moment, the odds of Pangai, Haas & Fifita all having the careers we "hope" they do is very low, there's bound to be a flop in there. Arrow was a known commodity, we had a couple of years to re-sign him for a reasonable price, and didn't, then the Titans swoop in with an offer we can't afford to match, that's just called poor roster management.

There's a reason we've already re-signed Haas & Fifita before having any clue if they'll even be good in first grade, it's because we realised we can't keep leaking talent, like we did with Arrow & Taylor, both of whom could've been re-signed for acceptable prices prior to the Titans offering overs if we had any clue.

If we're being real for a moment, the odds of Pangai, Haas & Fifita all having the careers we "hope" they do is very low, there's bound to be a flop in there. Arrow was a known commodity, we had a couple of years to re-sign him for a reasonable price, and didn't, then the Titans swoop in with an offer we can't afford to match, that's just called poor roster management.

There's a reason we've already re-signed Haas & Fifita before having any clue if they'll even be good in first grade, it's because we realised we can't keep leaking talent, like we did with Arrow & Taylor, both of whom could've been re-signed for acceptable prices prior to the Titans offering overs if we had any clue.

Haas was showing great signs before he got hurt so he will be great, Fifita needs a shot at first grade before we can really judge.

Haas was showing great signs before he got hurt so he will be great, Fifita needs a shot at first grade before we can really judge.

Fifita is nowhere near being worth a shot at first grade yet. I still think people are also buying into the hype a bit too much with Haas as well right now. His debut was solid, but not the fantastic display everyone raved about imo. He has the tools, i think he will be a very good player, but he needs to show what he can do consistently. There is way to much pressure placed on him and some of our other less experienced players. Showing great signs as a young player doesnt mean you will be great. Jonas Pearson showed great signs in his early games. So did Leon Bott. You could go on and on with promising players who petered out. I'd like more of our younger guys perform like Carrigan is in ISC. He is consistently producing the goods, and he does the tough stuff and the dirty work that you need from a forward imo.

Jai would have stayed if he had a better chance at starting which im surprised we didnt offer him. Plenty on here thought he was pretty bang average. So pleased for him he has played Origin. Always knew he was going to the top. He is going to be some player.

**** Moose cops a hiding on here. He is the Aussie and QLD lock for **** sakes. Its not like we let Arrow walk to keep a mediocre player.

Where did he cop a hiding? I must've missed that post, I think almost everyone here is a fan of him.

You're allowed to keep multiple good players though funnily enough, especially when one of them has already played the majority of his career at Prop.

Fifita is nowhere near being worth a shot at first grade yet. I still think people are also buying into the hype a bit too much with Haas as well right now. His debut was solid, but not the fantastic display everyone raved about imo. He has the tools, i think he will be a very good player, but he needs to show what he can do consistently. There is way to much pressure placed on him and some of our other less experienced players. Showing great signs as a young player doesnt mean you will be great. Jonas Pearson showed great signs in his early games. So did Leon Bott. You could go on and on with promising players who petered out. I'd like more of our younger guys perform like Carrigan is in ISC. He is consistently producing the goods, and he does the tough stuff and the dirty work that you need from a forward imo.

Jai would have stayed if he had a better chance at starting which im surprised we didnt offer him. Plenty on here thought he was pretty bang average. So pleased for him he has played Origin. Always knew he was going to the top. He is going to be some player.
Of faffita, Carrigan and haas, the one I fear for most but also see the biggest potential is haas.
That kind of injury lay off has seen even the most hardened professionals go off the rails.
Haas is young and appears to have had a good attitude. He still has plenty of time to be the player we all hope for but it will mean learning a resilliance that not everyone can find .
If he does though, I predict he will be not one of our best, but the game's ( providing he can make it through)
So many great stars have been crueled with their careers, losing pace, strength or just self-confidence. We can only be patient and hope for his success.

I think it's quite simple.

You keep the players that are going to have more upside, and that's not Arrow.

I think it's quite simple.

You keep the players that are going to have more upside, and that's not Arrow.

Why?

He's young, has a fantastic motor, has an offload, can defend as well as anyone, does a lot of clean up work and has a fantastic drive to succeed like few else. Has Parker v2.0 written all over him. I mean, do people feel Parker was a fairly dime a dozen player? If so, then fair enough in saying Arrow is average. If people (like me) feel Parker was an absolute gun, then Arrow has a massive amount of upside.

I think that is what it really comes down to - was Parker a legend or not, and that will reflect how you feel about Arrow's potential.

I think he's pretty bang on target to be a weapon.

Why?

He's young, has a fantastic motor, has an offload, can defend as well as anyone, does a lot of clean up work and has a fantastic drive to succeed like few else. Has Parker v2.0 written all over him. I mean, do people feel Parker was a fairly dime a dozen player? If so, then fair enough in saying Arrow is average. If people (like me) feel Parker was an absolute gun, then Arrow has a massive amount of upside.

I think that is what it really comes down to - was Parker a legend or not, and that will reflect how you feel about Arrow's potential.

I think he's pretty bang on target to be a weapon.

Because they will be more damaging, more skillful. They will have more upside, and that's what we need. We don't need another workhorse with an offload, we have those already and we have another one coming through the ranks.

If I had a choice between a Taumalolo and a Parker, I would take a Taumalolo every day of the week because that's what we are missing. Damaging, skillful forwards that will give us the best chance of success.

Because they will be more damaging, more skillful. They will have more upside, and that's what we need. We don't need another workhorse with an offload, we have those already and we have another one coming through the ranks.

If I had a choice between a Taumalolo and a Parker, I would take a Taumalolo every day of the week because that's what we are missing. Damaging, skillful forwards that will give us the best chance of success.

But for every JT, there's a Cooper or even Lowe (I'm talking 2015), guys that can do the clean up work and offer something else. The Broncs have TPJ, Su'A (will likely get there), Haas and (pre-injury Gillett, although different and often unused skill set).

Everyone say Carrigan will be better (and he may well be) but Arrow has the runs on the board. And even after all that, look at the price tag attached to a JT2 / TPJ (eventually) compared to a Parker. TPJ has also proven he can play anywhere in the forward pack. Arrow isn't even just a workhorse lock, he hits hard (and sticks) as well as having an offload that can become better yet (given his age).

Where did he cop a hiding? I must've missed that post, I think almost everyone here is a fan of him.

You're allowed to keep multiple good players though funnily enough, especially when one of them has already played the majority of his career at Prop.

And then you get the people arguing that moose is to small to be a prop
He can’t win any which way he looks despite being one of the best forwards in the world

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Wendall Taylor
  • Fozz
  • Bucking Beads
  • Galah
  • Bish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.