CRICKET Australia v West Indies

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
ou might not have seen it but if not for the stickiest bail of all time, he was clean bowled on practically nothing. If that bail had fallen as it should have (it was hit so hard it literally spun on top of the stump), he would have had yet another failure and this choice would not be even remotely controversial.

And yes, my post obviously said I want Inglis in the side, not only is he a better bat, he is a far better keeper.
Woulda / coulda / shoulda . Pedantic .
If a guy [ Marnus for example ] gets dropped and goes on to make a score we don`t discount it by saying he got a second chance . Marnus got #1 ranking for batters even though he was dropped a record number of times compiling those runs .
Dunno about far better keeper .I Haven`t seen Carey do too much wrong . And haven`t seen Inglis play 5 day cricket to be able to compare .

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Yeah just going off who i've seen in my lifetime. Don't think there's been better this century.

I'd add in Ambrose in Perth- 7/1 that blew out to 7/25 by the end of the innings.

I think that's my podium- Ambrose, Hadlee and Sharmar.

Fernando

Fernando

NRL Captain
Jun 6, 2015
Damn we suck
Huh? We are World Test Champions, Ranked #1 in the world and leading this cycles WTC points table. We weren't at our best and lost by 8 runs to an all time effort.

Even the dud England sides of the mid-late 90's & early 2000's would win 1 out of 5 tests here over summer.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
Head
Inglis (WK)
Green
Smith (C)
Labuschagne
Hardie
Short
Abbott
Bartlett
Zampa
Morris

12,13: Fraser-McGurk, Sutherland

This is the side for tomorrow. Happy that Green is playing the anchor role at 3 will be very good for him to get these opportunities where he plays a crucial role. Especially if he is missing valuable shield cricket at this stage in his red ball development you want him being highly involved. As much as white ball is seperate one day batting at 3 is far more translative to red ball top order batting than nearly any other role in white ball cricket. Pressure will be off because he has stability behind him and then 2 big hitters later on in Hardie and Short. Bowling will be very interesting as well with 2 debutants. Will say I’m surprised and a little bit disappointed that Short isn’t opening, I think they could have had a really good pairing between him and Head but clearly they will be dropping Short and likely Hardie for Maxi and Marsh when they return so need Inglis as the opener.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I’d really like them to go fully experimental and play Fraser-McGurk at 5 instead of Labs. Labs could use all the red ball cricket he can get, he’s woefully out of form. Is Abbott going to make the next World Cup? He’s the same age as Cummins et al isn’t he? I’d prefer they throw Sutherland in instead and as I said, just go full experimental.

Fernando

Fernando

NRL Captain
Jun 6, 2015
The West Indies have been good in short form games recently, they beat England in a T20 and ODI series and beat India in a T20 series. Building well for their home world cup.

I’d really like them to go fully experimental and play Fraser-McGurk at 5 instead of Labs. Labs could use all the red ball cricket he can get, he’s woefully out of form. Is Abbott going to make the next World Cup? He’s the same age as Cummins et al isn’t he? I’d prefer they throw Sutherland in instead and as I said, just go full experimental.

Yeah for sure, I just don't see it with Abbott at international level. I reckon he'd get hammered in a big world cup game if we had to pick him. It'll be good to watch Morris and Bartlett but I wish Spencer was there too.

Fernando

Fernando

NRL Captain
Jun 6, 2015
The under 19's are playing WI tonight too. We are 4 from 4 this tournament so far.

Callum Vidler (fast bowler contracted to the Heat) and Hugh Weibgen (Bulls rookie contract, #3 batsmen & captain of U19's) have been the stars so far along with Harry Dixon (Renegades contract, left handed opening batsmen).

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
The under 19's are playing WI tonight too. We are 4 from 4 this tournament so far.

Callum Vidler (fast bowler contracted to the Heat) and Hugh Weibgen (Bulls rookie contract, #3 batsmen & captain of U19's) have been the stars so far along with Harry Dixon (Renegades contract, left handed opening batsmen).

Dixon was in camp on Boxing Day, that's how highly they rate him. He carried drinks and just around the boys.

Weibbgen plays for Valleys and his 100 last game was outstanding.

Fernando

Fernando

NRL Captain
Jun 6, 2015
Dixon was in camp on Boxing Day, that's how highly they rate him. He carried drinks and just around the boys.

Weibbgen plays for Valleys and his 100 last game was outstanding.
That's cool, Dixon is putting up some good numbers.

Attachments

• hd.png
    hd.png
    65.8 KB · Views: 24
Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Dixon has been on the radar for some time, he is like the only under 19 that anyone actually knows. Weibgen and Kostas also look the goods

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
The West Indies have been good in short form games recently, they beat England in a T20 and ODI series and beat India in a T20 series. Building well for their home world cup.

Yeah for sure, I just don't see it with Abbott at international level. I reckon he'd get hammered in a big world cup game if we had to pick him. It'll be good to watch Morris and Bartlett but I wish Spencer was there too.
Spencer needs to play domestic cricket before getting consistent Aus selection. They want him to be a 3 format player and he has played 11 state games. Needs to go back and finish off the season strongly in both formats before he gets a run in any format that isn’t t20.

Abbot will be a case of experience and batting deep. Can’t chuck 3 debutants in and expect to win and I think we should still want to win this game with our side.

Edit: Abbot won’t be around next World Cup with our bowling stocks in the younger generation although he could be required at next years champions trophy so he will get selected in squads till then I think you will find. Unless one of these two can step up and claim it over him but that will be a tough ask on international debut series.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
Dixon has been on the radar for some time, he is like the only under 19 that anyone actually knows. Weibgen and Kostas also look the goods
Sam has not been good at all. Weibgen has been the pick of the batters and Vidler has been exceptional both wickets wise and economy wise as the pick of the bowlers. Dixon has been pretty bloody good as well. For Konstas’ hype he has been shithouse hopefully starts to put it together this tournament but Dixon has outshone him so far.

Weibgen has been playing first grade for Valleys since year 10 at 16 years of age he is an excellent prospect. Similarly to how Wyllie performed at the last tournament it shows that there experience scoring runs at a high level for years and years at such a young age just makes it look so easy. Great prospect that will start to see some more opportunities come his way soon. Some excellent performers in QLD 2nd XI and first grade like Angus Lovell, Hugo Burdon and Aryan Jain (especially last season) that will mean he will have to work extremely hard and perform well to squeeze his way into a Qld debut the next year or so.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Bartlett has announced himself.

He obviously has the likes of Cummins, Hazlewood and Starc to contend with but doing that on debut puts your name up in lights, happy for him.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
Bartlett has announced himself.

He obviously has the likes of Cummins, Hazlewood and Starc to contend with but doing that on debut puts your name up in lights, happy for him.
Gets to go back and play some domestic cricket at the conclusion of the series as well which is much needed for his development in red ball cricket and further development in one day cricket. He hasn’t played that much cricket in his career and more so recently with stress fractures so for an opportunity like this at the conclusion of a great big bash campaign and getting to take that confidence back to red ball and less importantly the one day set up in and will be big for him.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Horseheadsup
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.