Australia vs India Discussion

Renshaw averaging 19 this year but he should easily pumped that up to 60 in Tests. That's where everyone finds form.

Renshaw averaging 19 this year but he should easily pumped that up to 60 in Tests. That's where everyone finds form.

Righto champ, no Renshaw then. Are we just biding time before the sandpaper bandits are available?

Smith and Warner have masked our pathetic batting line up for the past 4 years
I hate to break it to people too but burns and renshaw aren’t test standard. Neither are any of the current Australian batsmen either. Usman still can’t play spin.

As for Bancroft speaking out, he was lucky to be in the squad to begin with. He certainly isn’t a lock for an ashes spot

What exactly has Burns done wrong (compared to the other current options, not the greats of yesteryear) to have been dropped in the first place?

He is EASILY better than every other current Aussie opener available AND is actually fairly consistent in an age terrible inconsistency.

The opening partnership will be different the second Warner is off his ban anyway. JL will probably get Bancroft straight back in somehow too; just listen to the way JL goes on about Bancroft.

1. Renshaw
2. Warner (Puvoski if you want a lineup without Warner)
3. Burns
4. Smith (Patterson if you want a lineup without Smith)
5. Maxwell
6. Wade
7. Carey

There's an alternate top 7 consisting of no current test players that looks infinitely better than the shit we're subjected to atm.

Selecting keepers just on runs. Dear me.

Pretty much
They are the only class batsmen we have at the moment

Steve Smith will and should be parachuted back in to the side the second his ban is up. I’m not so sure about Warner or Bancroft, for different reasons.

All I know is that Aaron Finch looks out of place in whites.

Selecting keepers just on runs. Dear me.

If you're referring to Wade, he's averaging 70 this shield season at number 6, most of those runs were scored with him playing as a pure batsman.

If you're referring to Carey, he's a better batsman than Paine and probably a better keeper too. You can't pick pure keepers anymore in test cricket, especially not with the state of our top 6: this isn't pre-1980s test cricket.

EDIT: Paine was thrust into the side Mitch Marsh style with no form, long term or short, to justify it. I'm biased against players who are picked in such circumstances.

Last edited:
This batting is pathetic, now the bowlers are batting, no rest at all for them, absolutely pathetic.

This should be the test line up once Smith returns:

1. Burns
2. Khawaja
3. Smith
4. Pucovski
5. Maxwell
6. Paine
7. Cummins
8. Starc
9. Richardson
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

Bancroft was never good enough, Head is your ideal 12th man, not really good enough to be a mainstay but better than your average Shield player...slightly. Warner, as good as he is, is cancerous to a team environment, should be stamped never to play again.

You love to criticize but offer nothing in the way of alternatives, it’s a bit tiresome.

I would have thought suggesting stability and saying not pick guys that can't hold down a Shield spot would be alternatives to random selections of guys for a Test.

Honestly what do you expect me to say to drop Paine? He's been terrific I have praised him. You thinking that's an awesome idea I should get on board with is worrying.

If you're referring to Wade, he's averaging 70 this shield season at number 6, most of those runs were scored with him playing as a pure batsman.

If you're referring to Carey, he's a better batsman than Paine and probably a better keeper too. You can't pick pure keepers anymore in test cricket, especially not with the state of our top 6: this isn't pre-1980s test cricket.

EDIT: Paine was thrust into the side Mitch Marsh style with no form, long term or short, to justify it. I'm biased against players who are picked in such circumstances.

Carey got his first Shield 100 a week ago. How is he a better batsmen than the guy with the second best keeper average for Aus ever?

Against guys with no form but Carey has one 100 in five years- you pick him. That is a complete contradiction.

Last edited:
The problem with all of these hypothetical line-up changes in comparison to back in the day is that back then we could make 1-2 line-up changes to fix the issue with the team. Line-up changes right now are almost irrelevant, no matter what we do nothing is going to change, nobody is scoring enough runs at any level of the game for us to win cricket games reliably.

I almost want CA to announce we're taking 2 years off international cricket to focus on re-developing the First Class cricket scene in Australia. Until we start prioritising FC, we aren't going to be a tier 1 cricket nation anymore. All of these kids grew up in an era where we were beating everyone with ease, so they've grown up practising their ramp shots and reverse sweeps instead of their fundamentals, which is what they would've been practising if we were as shit as we are right now.

This is going to take 15-20 years to fix, not 5 minutes with a quick line-up change.

This batting is pathetic, now the bowlers are batting, no rest at all for them, absolutely pathetic.

This should be the test line up once Smith returns:

1. Burns
2. Khawaja
3. Smith
4. Pucovski
5. Maxwell
6. Paine
7. Cummins
8. Starc
9. Richardson
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

Bancroft was never good enough, Head is your ideal 12th man, not really good enough to be a mainstay but better than your average Shield player...slightly. Warner, as good as he is, is cancerous to a team environment, should be stamped never to play again.
There you go with Cummins at #7 again despite not being anywhere near an allrounder. That batting lineup would struggle to score 200 in Zimbabwe. You might as well keep the current lot.

I would have thought suggesting stability and saying not pick guys that can't hold down a Shield spot would be alternatives to random selections of guys for a Test.

Honestly what do you expect me to say to drop Paine? He's been terrific I have praised him. You thinking that's an awesome idea I should get on board with is worrying.

I actually am not saying drop Paine.

What is your reason for not going with Burns?

There you go with Cummins at #7 again despite not being anywhere near an allrounder. That batting lineup would struggle to score 200 in Zimbabwe. You might as well keep the current lot.

Again, I know as well as you do that Cummins isn’t a 7 but there aren’t 6 good batsmen in the country, no one better than the current keeper anyway. So why reward the terrible batsmen with another batting place? The current top six wouldn’t put bat WI.

I actually am not saying drop Paine.

What is your reason for not going with Burns?

Well I am certainly not going to say awesome idea if it isn't.

Again I already said it's unfair to drop him in for one Test like they did against SA and expect a result. I said the side has changed the openers too much. They need an extended run.

Last edited:
Again I already said it's unfair to drop him in for one Test like they did against SA and expect a result. I said the side has changed the openers too much. They need an extended run.

So why was Burns dropped after SA?

Active Now

• barker
  • Bish
  • Jedhead
  • thenry
  • Mr Fourex
  • bb_gun
  • Maroon4life
  • broncoscope
  • MrRobot
  • broncos4life
  • mrslong
  • Mister Wright
  • Broncorob
  • Dash
  • Foordy
  • Battler
  • Justwin
  • Wolfie
  • broncs30
  • BroncoFan94
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.