OFFICIAL Bellamy extends contract with Melbourne Storm

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
I watched him interviewed on NRL Tonight yesterday and he said something that i thought was interesting.

When asked if he would follow Wayne if he goes, or would he retire, he said no he would stay as he loves The Broncos. He then mumbled " i don't have much longer to go anyway" as the host was saying something over the top of him.

Didn't seem like much at the time but made me think that he might be considering pulling the pin before his time is due [emoji848]

Did anyone else hear this, or were my ears deceiving me [emoji53]
If Bennett was moved on Boyd ruled out following his coach for a fourth time.
“Yeah mate I’m almost done anyway,” Boyd said when asked if he would stay at the Broncos even if Bennett moved on.
“I love the Broncos and I’ll definitely be staying.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/569cd3dd3087745df73610235b8803a5 1m40s into that video

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
Watching Waynes interview yesterday - i think its possible hes moving on end of this year. To me Wayne seemed to get a little upset. There no real reason for Wayne to get upset unless he knew it was coming to an end/leaving/replaced/decided. I would say before this media bust out, it was a 90% deal done. The speed at which Broncos and Belly reacted, the words spoken says to me its a plan and their focus is to control the situation rather than let the rumours spiral out of control.

Broncapz

Broncapz

NRL Player
May 1, 2016
Unlike last year were Melbourne were just a step ahead of everyone else, at full strength this year we can beat ANY team in this competition.

Bennett is fucking good for this club and if you can't see that, you're more short sighted than Hans Moleman. "Oh no a mediocre start to the most competitive league in the world, maybe a magical coach change can make us 11-0"

2nd best win record since his return Broncos. Exact same W/L as Bellamy and within reach of the top 4 in a poor start to 2018. Throw in a massive injury toll and disrupted pre-season.

Goddamn how people are forgetful that we are consistently making the finals, and were one spear tackle away from a premiership since his return.

I'll say it again.. Bennett is good for this club.

R

Reyter

QCup Player
Apr 7, 2018
I was reading the print edition of the Courier-Mail just before. Lol at all the hot takes. Tallis's was the funniest. Wayne is definitely a rock star coach if that is possible.
They all have good points. He has thrown many players and staff members under the bus over the years. Sometimes I felt a little harsh but I liked his (WBs) ruthlessness (when it came to results). Now it's WBs turn.

Last edited:
Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Why does Bellamy's win record never have an asterisk beside it?

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Unlike last year were Melbourne were just a step ahead of everyone else, at full strength this year we can beat ANY team in this competition.

Bennett is fucking good for this club and if you can't see that, you're more short sighted than Hans Moleman. "Oh no a mediocre start to the most competitive league in the world, maybe a magical coach change can make us 11-0"

2nd best win record since his return Broncos. Exact same W/L as Bellamy and within reach of the top 4 in a poor start to 2018. Throw in a massive injury toll and disrupted pre-season.

Goddamn how people are forgetful that we are consistently making the finals, and were one spear tackle away from a premiership since his return.

Dont come in here with logical facts mate, the Bennett bashers will take offence to it. They wont admit though that the reason for our such high expectations year in year out is because of Bennett to begin with.

R

Reyter

QCup Player
Apr 7, 2018

It's just a question of "how good", how long will he be good for, (I've said a few times, IMO he has done quite well with the team he has but it's his team) keeping mind that almost halfway through the season we are out of the top 8 (and were extremely lucky to get the win against the Tigers) and will Bellamy be better? It's a ruthless business. WB was one of the chief architects of that ruthlessness. I'm not privy to all the details but I very much hope we get Bellamy even if it means putting WB out to pasture a year early. He was always so proud of his mantra of moving on players a year too early rather than letting them go a year too late.

Would be nice to have a coach who is good at his job, engages with the media and shows some emotion in the coaches box.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Wayne has done it to himself tbh
Refusal to sign a HB
Horrible start to the year
Over paying Boyd and Bird
ect

You think the club is trying to replace him because of his results? The rest mean **** all if the team is playing good footy. His second tenure here has been pretty good don't you think?

He did it to himself by agreeing with White that the Broncos needed to speak with Bellamy sometime. He's doing it for himself, his club, his players and his fans.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
6b45b22f0ded0d42d4d3aba25eff8617

Storm warning to Broncos over Craig Bellamy bidding war

MELBOURNE Storm’s powerful chairman and part-owner Bart Campbell has warned the Brisbane Broncos about waging a chequebook war for his supercoach Craig Bellamy.
Campbell declared the Broncos were no longer a financial powerhouse compared to his own club and other major sporting organisations across the country.
“The Broncos are not the only big club in Australia,” Campbell said.

“They are not on the top of the pile anymore.
“People talk about the Broncos turning over $41 million last year … well, we’ll turnover $52 million this season.
“To say that the size of the revenue will determine the outcome, it won’t necessarily mean the Broncos.”
The Storm are owned by three of Australia’s most successful businessmen in Campbell, Jayko caravan king Gerry Ryan and Australia’s biggest bookmaker Matt Tripp.
Campbell revealed the Storm would consider having further discussions with Bellamy if the supercoach wanted a four-year deal like the Broncos have offered rather than the three-year offer they have already tabled.
“We’re in live economic conversation,” Campbell said.
Craig Bellamy and Wayne Bennett.

“Craig knows we’re doing our best to deal with his demands. We offered three years, which is the term he asked for. If that changes, we could move with him.
“And rest assured we will be competitive as far as his remuneration goes.”
The Storm supremo is anxious for Bellamy to make his decision as soon as possible, preferably next week, to prevent any potential disruptions to the team.
Melbourne chief executive Dave Donaghy seemed at odds with Campbell yesterday when he said the Storm would not consider a one-year extension for Bellamy.
The NRL has a long history of teams faltering during uncertainty over coaching roles.
“Next week would be as good a week as ever to have the matter resolved,” Campbell said. “Deadlines aren’t our style but we’ll encourage him to make a decision in a time frame that works for everyone.
“Will it have an impact? I don’t see how it can’t. We’re not robots and it’s a big issue.
“Will it impact the team? We’ll know more after the Cowboys game.
“Craig’s a professional but all this will be in the back of his mind. It must have an impact.”

Bellamy’s son Aaron works in the Storm football department and has two young children. Bellamy’s daughter Rachel has moved back to the Gold Coast after living in Melbourne.
Storm officials and Campbell are convinced the Broncos have tabled a financial offer, knowing Bellamy could not possibly make a decision without knowing what the Broncos are offering.
This was denied by their CEO Paul White.
Whatever happens, the Storm are doing everything in their powers to keep Bellamy.
They have already put highly regarded football general manager Frank Ponissi and senior assistant coach Adam O’Brien on long-term deals.
“We want him to stay,” Campbell said. “He’s part of the furniture. He’s synonymous with the game and the state of Victoria.
“We understand he’s not indentured to us or chained to a seat. If he wants to move on, that’s his call. We’ve made an incredibly compelling offer.
“We would back ourselves to be extremely competitive. We love him and want him to stay. Without Craig, Cameron Smith, Billy Slater and previously Cooper Cronk, the game would be nothing in Victoria.”

Storm bosses have their old fella out swinging in the breeze.
This is one of the few things I agree with Kent about. After all the success of the past ten years plus, they're still losing money and, if Bellamy goes, they'll be in real trouble. I'd go further though and say that they're in real trouble no matter what because , Cronk is gone, Smith (while still good) is not as fast as he was and both he and Slater will be gone in the next year or so. If they're not making a profit now, they won't do it when the stars go and they come back to the pack.

We're in a win-win situation here. Either we get Bellamy or we don't and we keep Bennett while Storm have to pay a shit ton extra to keep Bellamy.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Broncs_Fan

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2015
They all have good points. He has thrown many players and staff members under the bus over the years. Sometimes I felt a little harsh but I liked his (WBs) ruthlessness (when it came to results). Now it's WBs turn.

Yeah, I agree with you.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Storm bosses have their old fella out swinging in the breeze.
This is one of the few things I agree with Kent about. After all the success of the past ten years plus, they're still losing money and, if Bellamy goes, they'll be in real trouble. I'd go further though and say that they're in real trouble no matter what because , Cronk is gone, Smith (while still good) is not as fast as he was and both he and Slater will be gone in the next year or so. If they're not making a profit now, they won't do it when the stars go and they come back to the pack.

We're in a win-win situation here. Either we get Bellamy or we don't and we keep Bennett while Storm have to pay a shit ton extra to keep Bellamy.

That article just sounds like a dick measuring contest..

the_next

the_next

NRL Captain
Mar 9, 2018
If Brisbane fail to get the signature of their man Bellamy, there will be so much egg on their face, it'll be unbelievable.
The way this debacle has played out in the media is not what the club, or the fans deserve..
I wouldn't even be surprised if White stood down as a result. Couple of reasons; I think they would be seen as failing, not only on the recruitment front ie retaining Hunt and going after Taylor, but they will be slammed for having lost the "aura" Brisbane pride themselves on.
I'm not sure, even if Bennett stays on that the relationship between he and White will be one that can be maintained moving forward. It seems as though Bennett feels mistreated in not being told that talks had commenced with Bellamy, and I think that there will definitely be some ramifications as a result.

Personally, I don't think Bellamy will arrive at the Broncos. I think it has played into his hands beautifully, and he will get a nice kick in the back pocket with how it's all played out.

S

Slippin Jimmy

QCup Player
Jun 8, 2017
Would be nice to have a coach who is good at his job, engages with the media and shows some emotion in the coaches box.
Bennett shows emotion when it's warranted. I'd be embarrassed if we had someone like Stuart throwing tantrums every time there's a dropped ball.

As for engages with the media, who in your mind is the gold standard for their media commentary? I can't think of a single coach who satisfies your first condition that actually bothers giving the media more than either contempt, or boring platitudes. There have been a few lousy coaches that hold a greater presser (Matt Elliot springs to mind), but that sort of candour gets tiresome when your team stinks.

john1420

john1420

It's Bronco Time
Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
Not that I'm convinced that Bellamy is the saviour, in fact far from it, but if that's the way the club wants to go I'll back them

And to me the "1 year contract overlap issue" is not a problem

You simply sign Bellamy from 2019, and state that in his first year, his duties are entirely research based

You know how some coaches like to travel overseas at the end of the year and learn something from one of the world's most successful sporting clubs? Well imagine doing that for a year! Imagine how much you could learn! In my mind, a career coach would find an offer like that too good to be true. It would be something never before done, and it's not just a contrived way to keep him on the burner for a year, it's real forward thinking, future success stuff

I'd imagine a guy like Bellamy would jump at the chance

What he might not be happy with is having a paid 12 month vacation, but this is high performance research

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
All the fuss around Bellamy intending for Broncos job had totally overshadowed Wayne's achievement today. Why in the world do anybody had to do it before the great man's milestone match? Why can't it/they wait until say, after our game against Storm or even end of season?

NRL needs to celebrate the occasion. They went brouhaha for Bellamy's 400th game. Why not now?

There's a saying -"keep your fiends close & your enemies closer". We are definitely not doing either. There's so much hatred against the great man & the Broncos out there & I pity them for that. Even if Wayne decides to end his association with Broncos beyond this year or extends it further 2019, I stand by him. He deserves the acknowledgement and wish him further success (maybe the premiership this year!:superhappythumbsup:).
To be fair Fox are doing a special interview with Bennett specifically about his 800th game.

The other difference to Bellamy was that most of the highlighting was coming during the pre-match review shows Thursday pregame, super Saturday, etc. and his game was probably Saturday night??

Bennett's 800th is on Thursday literally the first cab off the rank.

They've done a couple spots on the interview but 360 probably should have made a bit more of a deal about. There's also no reason why the pregame tonight won't have some sort of feature on it.

Active Now

• BroncoFan94
  • Jedhead
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Fozz
  • Culhwch
  • Waynesaurus
  • Harry Sack
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Dash
  • Bucking Beads
  • BroncosAlways
  • broncsgoat
  • Swordfish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.