Boyd - I'm trying too hard

I don't believe that for a second. It is probably what he told the club happened though and they just said "yeah let's go with that"

Last edited:
I'd be willing to believe it. There are plenty out there who'd happily trash someone if it got them 5 seconds of reflected glory.

I'd be willing to believe it. There are plenty out there who'd happily trash someone if it got them 5 seconds of reflected glory.

I dunno. I mean it's possible, but I don't think there's many pubs left that will let a patron keep drinking to the point that they're passing out. They normally cut you off before you get anywhere near there. And carrying a passed out person by yourself is not fucking easy, two man job imo.

He didn't pass out in the pub though, the claim is he was asked to leave the bar and he complied, and then in the cab he passed out

I don;t know if this story is true, but it is plausible

Who needs friends like that. Its put Roberts Broncos career on a knife edge really.

"Friend of a friend". Like the article says, "It’s a lesson for every NRL player".

He didn't pass out in the pub though, the claim is he was asked to leave the bar and he complied, and then in the cab he passed out

I don;t know if this story is true, but it is plausible

Yeah I guess it's plausible, but still he'd have to be in some kind of a fucking state to pass out and not wake up when old mate is picking him up and carrying him in. It's not like he's a baby you can do it gently with.

I am not sure who you are referring to in relation to your post. If it is Boyd, I think you are conflating issues. Last year he was struggling with injury for most of the season and this clearly impacted his form and his ability to do his role as a fullback. He probably would have benefitted from a significant break to try and get his body right but this did not occur (for whatever reason).

In saying that, he is clearly declining as a player and that is occurring fairly quickly. He looks to me like either his body is giving out on him, or he thinks that is occurring and does not have confidence in his body and this is playing on his mind and impacting his play. The first one may well be terminal for his career, the second one can be addressed, but it is difficult. I honestly do not believe that he is not trying or deliberately dogging it.

I have heard a number of players say that they know when it is time to go (and quite often after they make the decision you can see a lift in their play and confidence). Boyd looks to be someone that is getting that message but he is doing everything to not acknowledge it.

It just seems like our spine has been out of form for a long time. At what point do the broncos say it’s not working instead of saying it’s form based? I’m guessing no one will ever say the Milford project is a bust because of his price tag and will continue to try make it work.

I dunno. I mean it's possible, but I don't think there's many pubs left that will let a patron keep drinking to the point that they're passing out. They normally cut you off before you get anywhere near there. And carrying a passed out person by yourself is not fucking easy, two man job imo.
I'm not sure if that's what happened , after all I wasn't there. Experienced staff can tell when the tipping point is fast approaching especially if a person is doing shots say. If you're truly pissed up you can still be running but the control centre is bypassed! He was probably headed home but his new best friend suggested this party with girls galore, let's go. Who knows but he was on private property when the photos were taken, there might be dozens of photos out there but more likely it's on video too. Those people might be better types and not sharing what they have. I mean it's unlikely just one still image is all there is. I personally don't give a **** though and it's only a bad look because someone leaked it and not because he was smashed.

I'm not sure if that's what happened , after all I wasn't there. Experienced staff can tell when the tipping point is fast approaching especially if a person is doing shots say. If you're truly pissed up you can still be running but the control centre is bypassed! He was probably headed home but his new best friend suggested this party with girls galore, let's go. Who knows but he was on private property when the photos were taken, there might be dozens of photos out there but more likely it's on video too. Those people might be better types and not sharing what they have. I mean it's unlikely just one still image is all there is. I personally don't give a **** though and it's only a bad look because someone leaked it and not because he was smashed.

I dunno Huge. It's a pretty disappointing IMO to see a professional sportsman who's had trouble in the past, put himself into a situation like that.

It just seems like our spine has been out of form for a long time. At what point do the broncos say it’s not working instead of saying it’s form based? I’m guessing no one will ever say the Milford project is a bust because of his price tag and will continue to try make it work.

...or it could also be that Milford has the most potential in regards to talent ...skill....and youth.

I dunno Huge. It's a pretty disappointing IMO to see a professional sportsman who's had trouble in the past, put himself into a situation like that.
Mmmm, I just see it this way. He's out in public, behaves modestly, has a few too many and heads home. Just at the wrong moment someone steers him off in another direction because he's not really able to think rationally and then arseholes with phones snap him. I just wouldn't blow up if I were the Bronco's because really, if we lost a fan or sponsor over such a triviality we're better off without that type of judgemental prick or pricks. Hey, that's just me though. I don't set the bar real high because I might have to jump it one day!

Mmmm, I just see it this way. He's out in public, behaves modestly, has a few too many and heads home. Just at the wrong moment someone steers him off in another direction because he's not really able to think rationally and then arseholes with phones snap him. I just wouldn't blow up if I were the Bronco's because really, if we lost a fan or sponsor over such a triviality we're better off without that type of judgemental prick or pricks. Hey, that's just me though. I don't set the bar real high because I might have to jump it one day!
Why do you believe this part to be true, but the rest of the article is just journalistic fodder?

If it happened this way, it is an absolute dog act from whomever did that, but it doesn't absolve Roberts from getting smashed in the first place.

I'm the closest to @lynx000 opinion on Boyd, and believe it's a combination of his body no longer performing to the standards needed by a FB, and possibly some mental demons tormenting him, whatever those may be.
I do not believe for a moment he is bludging intentionally, although I do think he was already seriously declining in 2017 after a stellar 2016 (probably his best year ever!), and he has shown no signs of getting out of that slide.

I know we need to fix many things, but besides being our last line of defense, as a captain and example to the youth in the team, he is a major part of the problem, certainly a much bigger part than any of the other members of the spine IMO.
I think Seibs would be doing him a favour moving him to the wing in Isaako's spot, who appears to be suffering from a serious case of 2nd year syndrome.

Move Kodi (preferably) or Milford to fullback, and add an organiser / game manager to the spine and reduce Macca's minutes (easier said than done at the moment, although I would love to see what Staggs can do from dummy half), and I think we may not be far from realising our potential.

Why do you believe this part to be true, but the rest of the article is just journalistic fodder?

If it happened this way, it is an absolute dog act from whomever did that, but it doesn't absolve Roberts from getting smashed in the first place.

I'm the closest to @lynx000 opinion on Boyd, and believe it's a combination of his body no longer performing to the standards needed by a FB, and possibly some mental demons tormenting him, whatever those may be.
I do not believe for a moment he is bludging intentionally, although I do think he was already seriously declining in 2017 after a stellar 2016 (probably his best year ever!), and he has shown no signs of getting out of that slide.

I know we need to fix many things, but besides being our last line of defense, as a captain and example to the youth in the team, he is a major part of the problem, certainly a much bigger part than any of the other members of the spine IMO.
I think Seibs would be doing him a favour moving him to the wing in Isaako's spot, who appears to be suffering from a serious case of 2nd year syndrome.

Move Kodi (preferably) or Milford to fullback, and add an organiser / game manager to the spine and reduce Macca's minutes (easier said than done at the moment, although I would love to see what Staggs can do from dummy half), and I think we may not be far from realising our potential.
I neither believe or disbelieve. I have a degree of confidence based on a lifetime of experience. I think I know what's likely or unlikely. Some things seem reasonable, others not so much. I think it's very likely Robert's fell off the wagon, had too many, the bar staff said you've had enough, whoever he was drinking with ordered a Uber (likely using Roberts phone) and put him in it.

Continuing with what I could easily see happening, an inebriated Roberts was coaxed into having more to drink by a 'friend' at a private residence. I could also see Roberts getting the Uber driver to drop him at the party with his friend and then falling asleep at the residence and other drunken people taken advantage. All of it likely. The unlikely bit is people carrying Roberts around like a sideshow attraction. My experience of journalists is they are less trustworthy than used car salesman or Reyters 'evidence'.

It's rather depressing just how much Boyd has gone backwards over the past couple of years.

Just a few years ago he was the form fullback of the comp.

Not my video... Just to put that out there.

I neither believe or disbelieve. I have a degree of confidence based on a lifetime of experience. I think I know what's likely or unlikely. Some things seem reasonable, others not so much. I think it's very likely Robert's fell off the wagon, had too many, the bar staff said you've had enough, whoever he was drinking with ordered a Uber (likely using Roberts phone) and put him in it.

Continuing with what I could easily see happening, an inebriated Roberts was coaxed into having more to drink by a 'friend' at a private residence. I could also see Roberts getting the Uber driver to drop him at the party with his friend and then falling asleep at the residence and other drunken people taken advantage. All of it likely. The unlikely bit is people carrying Roberts around like a sideshow attraction. My experience of journalists is they are less trustworthy than used car salesman or Reyters 'evidence'.

Agree, I have my suspicions on the validity of the story told. It's not inconceivable but seems unlikely to me.

I like the rest of your post although I wouldn't describe Boyd as seriously declining rather I think it's only by a small margin because a serious decline would be a park footballer. At most a moderate decline.

It's rather depressing just how much Boyd has gone backwards over the past couple of years.

Just a few years ago he was the form fullback of the comp.

Not my video... Just to put that out there.

You could not believe that it is the same player after watching that. Sort of reinforces the point that it looks like something is broken. His whole body language and demeanour in that clip is completely different to what we are seeing the last two years.

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  • Fitzy
  • porouian
  • Brotherdu
  • Sproj
  • Battler
  • Midean
  • Wolfie
  • Ondi
  • Scdeac
  • BroncosAlways
  • Johnny92
  • TimWhatley
  • mitch222
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.