NEWS Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett warns NRL rivals off trying to sign Broncos winger Corey Oates

In other words, not so flagrant just more passive aggressive? Doesn't make it any better at all. Some would argue it makes it worse. Unless the guy is a moron and doesn't understand passive aggressive.
Sometimes context is important. You don't get that from the words alone, so if 1910 says there was nothing in I tend to go along with it. We call each other all sorts of names and make inferences, but it's all in good fun.
The broncos is their workplace. Sure, there will be rivalry and clashes of opinion, but I doubt they air the serious stuff in front of media. At least if they like playing at the club. Bennet is pretty hard on that type of thing.
Oates has publicly stated that is his preference. I believe him, but even if he was saying it for forms sake, he'd have to know antagonizing both the highest paid player and the coach would not end well. If you require an example: DCE and Townsend come to mind.

In other words, not so flagrant just more passive aggressive? Doesn't make it any better at all. Some would argue it makes it worse. Unless the guy is a moron and doesn't understand passive aggressive.

Sure or a joke between team mates and the type of joke that happens all the time- either one.

Alf used to walk past while Wendell was giving interviews and hand him back $50 and say you dropped this- don't care?

Oh my the passive aggressive behaviour!

Sometimes context is important. You don't get that from the words alone, so if 1910 says there was nothing in I tend to go along with it. We call each other all sorts of names and make inferences, but it's all in good fun.
The broncos is their workplace. Sure, there will be rivalry and clashes of opinion, but I doubt they air the serious stuff in front of media. At least if they like playing at the club. Bennet is pretty hard on that type of thing.
Oates has publicly stated that is his preference. I believe him, but even if he was saying it for forms sake, he'd have to know antagonizing both the highest paid player and the coach would not end well. If you require an example: DCE and Townsend come to mind.
That's the point. To be making way less money than co-workers with similar or less seniority while performing much better is an insult. Hence the passive aggressive public comment. Like some moron on this forum called me something nasty a few weeks back (can't recall who, but if I were to guess, I'd say Rover) and then added "only joking"....... Oates "jokingly" eluded to how much money Milford was on compared to himself.

I never even suggested his preference wasn't/isn't to stay at the Broncos. Firstly, given the environment he is in almost every day, what do you expect him to say? Secondly, it's his "preference" which means very little. While being disappointed, I couldn't begrudge him accepting a much higher offer from elsewhere. It's ............ someones fault for the farcical position the team is in, in regard to the salary-cap. Milford is overpaid and signed for too long. Boyd is significantly overpaid and his contract is far too long. Gillett is overpaid and signed for too long. The forums favorite punching bag, Sam Thaiday isn't overpaid or signed beyond this season. Bird is shaping up to be a monumental signing blunder.

This is the environment in which Oates "prefers" to stay.

Last edited:
Sure or a joke between team mates and the type of joke that happens all the time- either one.

Alf used to walk past while Wendell was giving interviews and hand him back $50 and say you dropped this- don't care?

Oh my the passive aggressive behaviour!
Well the last sentence was passive aggressive behavior. The first was merely repeating what you said previously and the second....... I'm still trying to get my head around that. Is it some story you have been bursting to tell and finally saw what you mistakenly thought was an opportunity to tell it without giving the impression it was a story you were bursting to tell?

In future and as I'm not a moderator it's just a suggestion, you should start a new thread called something like: "Stories I really want to tell, whether you care or not." That way I can easily ignore it.

Last edited:
That's the point. To be making way less money than co-workers with similar or less seniority while performing much better is an insult. Hence the passive aggressive public comment. Like some moron on this forum called me something nasty a few weeks back (can't recall who, but if I were to guess, I'd say Rover) and then added "only joking"....... Oates "jokingly" eluded to how much money Milford was on compared to himself.

I never even suggested his preference wasn't/isn't to stay at the Broncos. Firstly, given the environment he is in almost every day, what do you expect him to say? Secondly, it's his "preference" which means very little. While being disappointed, I couldn't begrudge him accepting a much higher offer from elsewhere. It's ............ someones fault for the farcical position the team is in, in regard to the salary-cap. Milford is overpaid and signed for too long. Boyd is significantly overpaid and his contract is far too long. Gillett is overpaid and signed for too long. The forums favorite punching bag, Sam Thaiday isn't overpaid or signed beyond this season. Bird is shaping up to be a monumental signing blunder.

He has an entirely different job description. Is he tasked with running the side week after week? No. He has a job, and he does it very well, should be paid accordingly. You asked earlier, I believe, whether he is dumb or not? Yes, it's been a running joke for a while that's a bit of a dummy. It wasn't a dig, it was a joke from a dumb dude - he and Milf get along very well.

He has an entirely different job description. Is he tasked with running the side week after week? No. He has a job, and he does it very well, should be paid accordingly. You asked earlier, I believe, whether he is dumb or not? Yes, it's been a running joke for a while that's a bit of a dummy. It wasn't a dig, it was a joke from a dumb dude - he and Milf get along very well.
Fair point. But whether he and Milf get along or not is beside the point. And to be honest, if it's Milfords job to be running the team, he is doing a piss poor job and should be on less than Oates.

Fair point. But whether he and Milf get along or not is beside the point. And to be honest, if it's Milfords job to be running the team, he is doing a piss poor job and should be on less than Oates.

It is Milford's job to be running the team, but it shouldn't be. Be on less than Oates? Just because Milf isn't being used right, doesn't mean he's not worth more than an above average winger. Put a solid number 7 next to Milf, he's a million per season player, easy.

It is Milford's job to be running the team, but it shouldn't be. Be on less than Oates? Just because Milf isn't being used right, doesn't mean he's not worth more than an above average winger. Put a solid number 7 next to Milf, he's a million per season player, easy.
Objection your honor. Hypothetical.

Well the last sentence was passive aggressive behavior. The first was merely repeating what you said previously and the second....... I'm still trying to get my head around that. Is it some story you have been bursting to tell and finally saw what you mistakenly thought was an opportunity to tell it without giving the impression it was a story you were bursting to tell?

In future and as I'm not a moderator it's just a suggestion, you should start a new thread called something like: "Stories I really want to tell, whether you care or not." That way I can easily ignore it.

Or you could get English and understand I was highlighting how players do the same thing Oates and Milford did all the time and have done forever- by giving an example.

Last edited:
Objection your honor. Hypothetical.

It's not hypothetical at all - back in '15 when Hunt did his job at the Broncos, Milford shined. And even for a while after that (first half of '16).

Methinks , as only a casual poster but read most things, that Reyter has some real issues with people that point out flaws with his character and sentiment. Only my opinion but you need to tone it down friend if you dont want other posters attacking you. I come to read about broncos news etc . Not this constant bickering which you seem to feature in constantly

Methinks , as only a casual poster but read most things, that Reyter has some real issues with people that point out flaws with his character and sentiment. Only my opinion but you need to tone it down friend if you dont want other posters attacking you. I come to read about broncos news etc . Not this constant bickering which you seem to feature in constantly

He loves the attention. I kind of imagine him as a real life version of that comic book guy from the Simpsons.

I was thinking more that comic book guy from The Big Bang Theory.
FFS........ this is ridiculous. Has Rover gotten to you people so easily?
So any thoughts on the topic? holdzy89 is right about a decent 5/8 being more valuable to the team than a very good winger and about Milford being an excellent 5/8 2 years ago. It's hypothetical to say he can be that good again no matter the halfback. Maybe he can, and maybe he can't. To get a decent halfback so we can see should be the first step and if that means Oates leaving, bye.

FFS........ this is ridiculous. Has Rover gotten to you people so easily?
So any thoughts on the topic? holdzy89 is right about a decent 5/8 being more valuable to the team than a very good winger and about Milford being an excellent 5/8 2 years ago. It's hypothetical to say he can be that good again no matter the halfback. Maybe he can, and maybe he can't. To get a decent halfback so we can see should be the first step and if that means Oates leaving, bye.

Now now, no need for that. I've already told you your name calling isnt very good. Maybe if you didnt tell lies people would take your thoughts more seriously

I will say this. There are people who would with your opinion of Boyd and Milford being overpaid. I think milf was paid on promise and Boyd on past performance. That said they are both good players, and despite criticism of their form (sometimes fair, sometimes not) are easily the best for their positions in the club, injury allowing.
Gillet though has been and still is if not the best 2nd rower in the competition, close to it. You may have a dissenting opinion based on recent performances, but remember he was essentially playing with a broken neck.
On his day, when fit, will run as hard as sua and make as many tackle as macca. Ones that hurt their opponents. Also he plays the full 80 minutes without break, allowing impact players to rest up.
You never know how players recover from injuries and Gillet may never be that player again but if he is close to it, he is easily worth his price.
As for Oates being worth more than Milford, let's break that down. Milford is a devastating runner who can draw defenders, offload in tackles, organise the attack and kick profficently. His form is inconsistent and needs to be corrected but in his worst games still has more impact on the teams attack than Oates because of the threat he represents.
Oates is a good winger in hot form, who deserves more money. He is a good runner, a proficient catch and an excellent finisher, but that's it. He can tackle alright on the wing but is sometimes caught out when he is closer to the ruck. He rarely passes or kicks (it's not his job). He almost never passes except to beat the last defender and has stuffed that up at times. No way would I lose Milford for him, let alone pay him more.

Ha ha, only just seen that. Never called you anything nasty yet, so you owe me an apology. I would never use the term " only joking ", if i call you something i'll mean it. Worst i've called you is a liar, which is correct anyway.

You probably arent man enough anyway to apologise.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Sproj
  • barker
  • broncos4life
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Midean
  • NSW stables
  • Dash
  • bert_lifts
  • Harry Sack
  • thenry
  • Financeguy
  • RolledOates
  • Broncosgirl
  • LittleDavey
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.