Brisbane hopeful of bringing Billy Walters, son of Kevin, to Red Hill in 2018

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
THE Brisbane Broncos are hopeful they can bring home the son of a former gun, with Kevin Walters’ kid Billy on their radar for 2018.

Brisbane is just one of a number of clubs who are interested in the talented Easts Tigers five-eighth for next season, following an impressive two years in the Intrust Super Cup.

Walters, who is the second eldest son of Broncos great and five-time premiership-winner Kevin, is understood to be among a number of reserve grade stars that the Broncos are considering adding to their books for next season.

It was revealed last week that the Storm, who are affiliated with Easts, are also interested in the versatile playmaker while a few Sydney clubs are reportedly keen on him.

The Broncos are expected to also throw their hat in the ring for the young No. 6, who starred for the Queensland Residents earlier this year.

While Walters has never been in an NRL system before, including during his under-20s years, he could prove to be a valuable utility at the first-grade level, having played hooker for a lot of his junior years.

He has also previously enjoyed a pre-season with the Storm.

While Easts coach Scott Sipple was unaware of the NRL interest in Walters, he had no doubt the 23-year-old would thrive in a full-time system.

Walters, who is considered a “late bloomer”, has been coached by Sipple for the last four years since his Colts days.

“Billy’s been going very well for us,” he said.

“He’s formed a good combination with (Melbourne affiliate) Brodie Croft. He’s a natural footballer and you don’t coach that.

“Going into a full-time system and training every day … he can definitely step up.

“He was late to mature because he’s such an instinct footballer. He wants to play what’s in front of him but sometimes you have to learn that game management and that’s what he’s learning with Crofty.

“He’s still got a little bit to go but he’s come along in leaps and bounds in the last 24 months. We’d love to see him go further.”

With Ben Hunt (Dragons) and Benji Marshall (Tigers) to leave Brisbane at the end of this season, Walters is not the only half the club are looking at.

It is understood current second-tier players Todd Murphy and Sam Scarlett could both be re-signed, while Wynnum Manly five-eighth Shaun Nona has also come into calculations.

Nona has played under Broncos assistant coach Jason Demetriou twice in the past, first at the Northern Pride and again last season at the Illawarra Cutters in NSW.

The duo won premierships together at both clubs.

Nona moved back to Queensland midway through this season, when he joined the Seagulls in hope of picking up an eventual contract with the Broncos.

However, it is understood Brisbane still want to bring in a half with some NRL experience.

Brisbane also have their eye on Redcliffe forward Myles Taueli, who joined the Dolphins this year after he was last season sacked by Cronulla for a drink-driving offence.

He has been in great form for the Dolphins, who are currently sitting second on the Intrust Super Cup ladder.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...8/news-story/afd323d9656642f9f3855fc18ef0c6bb

Guess that means jnik is out of equation now. Not sure Murphy or Scarlett will ever be considered so may aswell change things up.

That Myles guy got done for DUI twice in two months so maybe a dumbass. Watch the highlights of last week's Dolphins game and it is him, he brings the ball back like a missile.

I like the look of Nona, although I seem to recall reading about his defence being poor. He's also going on 27.

The last second generation Bronco we had was much maligned, but I like the idea of having someone come through that (through family) has had a lifelong connection to us. How does Walters go?

As for Taueli, I've not seen him play but looked him up and at 195cm and 108kg he's definitely got a bit of size about him, taller than Lodge even.

image.ashx

His photo looks like a police mugshot

I dont think Walters is that much of a loss tbh. I would still have liked us to bring in Hazard from Redcliffe.

I find our lack of urgency to sign another Half.. interesting..

We had an opportunity to sign this kid, but decided against it. Meanwhile, Tyrone Roberts is close to signing a deal overseas, another player we could've probably signed on the cheap.

To me this could indicate one of two things -

A) We have an under the table agreement with Ash Taylor already in place and don't want to hinder any possible cap flexibility for 2018, in the off chance that the Titans decide to release him early.

B) We're delusional and actually believe that a halves pairing of Milford & Nikorima could take us to a premiership.

We had an opportunity to sign this kid, but decided against it. Meanwhile, Tyrone Roberts is close to signing a deal overseas, another player we could've probably signed on the cheap.

A) We have an under the table agreement with Ash Taylor already in place and don't want to hinder any possible cap flexibility for 2018, in the off chance that the Titans decide to release him early.

B) We're delusional and actually believe that a halves pairing of Milford & Nikorima could take us to a premiership.

Im afraid they think the later , Rodger wilco said it himself. I think joe is on the same page aswell, im not so sure.

I'm of the opinion that possibility 'A' could be in action.

Surely all in the know at Red Hill can see that KNik isn't our answer at halfback.

The fact that Taylor has yet to sign a supposedly substantial contract with the Titans lends weight to this theory.

A) i want to believe.........

But I'm scared it's B

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Johnny92
  • barker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.