Broncos could struggle to keep Gillett

They are still running with the story despite the fact another Courier Mail journalist and the Warriors confirmed it wasn't true.

I'm assuming that's what Foordy is talking about.

I pointed that out in the comments, told them they suck at doing research because it's unbelievable just how many things they can get wrong.. They deleted it.

Exactly my point

I thought his smirk was an obvious indication he was trolling.

Good on him too, the game needs more trolls and less cliche.

Now I'm worried, Dobbo has confirmed Gillett is staying a Bronco

Last nights performance should have freed up enough cash to keep Gillette for sure. It's clear now that we don't need to buy an established first grade centre to replace Reed. Opacic will do just fine. All we really need is another minimum wage depth signing to add to Pearson, Seve and Moses Pangai.

JACK Reed’s season-ending and career-threatening shoulder injury will help the Broncos retain Origin forward Matt Gillett on a new deal worth almost $2 million.

The Broncos are confident Gillett will shun interest from the Warriors and Titans to sign a multi-year extension.

Gillett’s retention announcement has been held up by salary cap uncertainty surrounding his close mate Reed, who is desperately trying to keep his NRL career alive.

Coach Wayne Bennett’s revelation that Reed and Kodi Nikorima (shoulder) will not return this season was another crushing setback for the British Test centre.

Reed, who is off contract after next season, is on around $400,000 annually at Red Hill. Should he be unable to return next year, the Broncos will be entitled to salary cap concessions pending a medical submission to the NRL.

Gillett has fielded offers of more than $700,000 a season, but Reed’s likely retirement will give the Broncos additional cap space to upgrade the Maroons back-rower beyond 2018.

Gillett recently suggested he would be prepared to leave if the Broncos could not strike a deal but coach Wayne Bennett expects his star forward to be on deck next season.

“I hope he will be here next year,” Bennett said. “He was going to the Warriors the last time I heard, so I don’t know where he’s going next week. He’s playing for the Broncos this week.’’

Reed was initially expected to miss a month after pulling out of the Round 14 game against Canberra but Bennett confirmed he and Nikorima would not be back this season.

Reed’s right shoulder is believed to be so bad he is struggling to lift his arm above his head. After two operations on each shoulder, his right one has turned arthritic.

“There’s a few prognoses going on at the moment, but (Reed) won’t be back this year,’’ Bennett said.

“We were hoping to get (Nikorima) some games before the end of the year but we’ve run out of time. Jack and Kodi are in the same boat at the moment.’’

An NRL spokesman said clubs could only gain salary cap exemptions for players who suffered career-ending injuries.

The Broncos would have to convince the NRL with medical records that Reed suffered an injury which made it impossible for him to play rugby league again.

“Under our rules, a player who cannot continue in the game must be paid out for the rest of his contract by the club or insurance,” the spokesman said.

“If the club can demonstrate that the player has suffered a career-ending injury they can seek to have that player’s salary exempted from the cap.’’

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

Last edited:
I hope we keep reed he has a good passing game to guys like Oates which when I watch Opacic he looks like he struggles to get a good pass in and Nikorima is a good hooker not a good winger.

Unfortunately, Reed is gone.

His shoulders are arthritic.

I very highly doubt we'll ever see him play NRL again.. And if he does, he is one tough motherfucker.

Last edited:
I've thought all along that Gillette would stay but I must admit I'm getting worried now. I was really hoping we would get an announcement today or tomorrow to give the team a boost heading into the finals but it's not looking likely now.

I'm not going to get worried until after the finals.

Well, it took all season to re-sign Thaiday last year.

I imagine this is all just about TPA's.

I've thought all along that Gillette would stay but I must admit I'm getting worried now. I was really hoping we would get an announcement today or tomorrow to give the team a boost heading into the finals but it's not looking likely now.

Not today, or tomorrow, but the day after tomorrow! You were close.

Edit: Nevermind.. it wasn't the Gillett announcement we were hoping for ;(

Last edited:
I wonder if Jack Reed retirement's money would be exempt from the cap..

This would free up the money we need to keep Gillett.

Last edited:
I wonder if Jack Reed retirement's money would be exempt from the cap..

This would free up the money we need to keep Gillett.

It should be. Was he contracted beyond this year though?

Yeah, he was re-signed until the end of 2017.

Given it wouldn't be a fairy tail for us do do any good, the NRL will likely rule that the contract is counted, including all medical expenses.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Fitzy
  • Big Del
  • Johnny92
  • Porthoz
  • Midean
  • Volvo Driver
  • Broncosgirl
  • Tmac
  • LittleDavey
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Strop
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Galah
  • Santa
  • Brotherdu
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.