Broncos need ..... ????

We need to get some **** about us. Perfect example was last night when Slater lay on the ground and all the cowboys did was touch him.

Belt him! He’s lying down so he’s free game

I think teams need to start hiring wrestling/grappling/bjj coaches to counter the storm. It's what the game has come to. I noticed a lot of times cam smith would hold a player down with no particular downward force but that player wouldn't even fight or try to get smith off. But if that player had basic grappling training they may be able to fight the underhook or even sweep smith off the top.
I think we do have one now (you have to have one to even survive in the nrl these days very sadly), but it doesn't appear we spend the amount of time on it that Melbourne or even rooster do (no surprise they finished 1 and 2 in the season). Bennett supposedly hates it (like we all do). If Melbourne wasn't based in Melbourne where the nrl want the publicity a successful storm brings they would of had a serious crack at getting it out of the game. It's a massive blight on the spectacle of each game, last night highlighted that compared to every grand final storm hasn't been involved in lately.

On another note..... 1 thing we need to win a premiership that I read the storm did this year and this frustrates me SO MUCH EVERY YEAR, is why the hell dont we have a booze ban! Nearly every premier in the past 10 years has had one for AT LEAST the finals. If the players don't think it effects their performance they are kidding themselves

The Sharks beat the Storm last year because they were prepared to grub it up big time. Blair's hit on Cronk was a perfect example of what teams should do every single game against those scum. Knees in tackles and lashing out for a quick play the ball (with an accidental knee to the head of a wrestling Storm player) would also be a fantastic strategy.

I think we do have one now (you have to have one to even survive in the nrl these days very sadly), but it doesn't appear we spend the amount of time on it that Melbourne or even rooster do (no surprise they finished 1 and 2 in the season). Bennett supposedly hates it (like we all do). If Melbourne wasn't based in Melbourne where the nrl want the publicity a successful storm brings they would of had a serious crack at getting it out of the game. It's a massive blight on the spectacle of each game, last night highlighted that compared to every grand final storm hasn't been involved in lately.

On another note..... 1 thing we need to win a premiership that I read the storm did this year and this frustrates me SO MUCH EVERY YEAR, is why the hell dont we have a booze ban! Nearly every premier in the past 10 years has had one for AT LEAST the finals. If the players don't think it effects their performance they are kidding themselves
I don't understand how you can have a crack down on wrestling what they are doing is not illegal and I can't see how you can have a penalty for tackling a player such that he stays standing and then getting him onto his back.

What they do need to do is enforce the actual fucking rules... mainly the one for making a second effort, which is rife when their first effort doesn't get them on their back. If the attacking player gets a half break they should have the advantage and anything that prevents that should be a penalty.

They also need to enforce professional fouls for intentional penalties in attacking positions. These rules are already there but only seem to be enforced when the ref decides they want to manufacture some momentum... perfect example were the 4 penalties in about 5mins the cows got last night that ended up finishing in a try.

I think Blair’s niggling against the Storm was the right tactic, even the “late” one the commentators were bitching about was fair game. Blair was committed and if a playmaker wants to take it to the line it’s at their own risk.

Yeah a you'd think a booze ban would be a given for professional athletes. They have plenty of time in their lives to get on the piss just not in the season, can't be that hard.

On bennett, it's where his downfall is being so old and stubborn in his ways. The wrestle is part of the game now, he best embrace it and utilise it to get anywhere near the storm.

This team is definitely missing a spiritual leader since hodges retired, a leader on the field and a leader the fans get behind too.

I don't understand how you can have a crack down on wrestling what they are doing is not illegal and I can't see how you can have a penalty for tackling a player such that he stays standing and then getting him onto his back.

What they do need to do is enforce the actual fucking rules... mainly the one for making a second effort, which is rife when their first effort doesn't get them on their back. If the attacking player gets a half break they should have the advantage and anything that prevents that should be a penalty.

They also need to enforce professional fouls for intentional penalties in attacking positions. These rules are already there but only seem to be enforced when the ref decides they want to manufacture some momentum... perfect example were the 4 penalties in about 5mins the cows got last night that ended up finishing in a try.
That's exactly what I meant by crackdown. Every tackle they do has a subtle second effort in it (eg twisting the player after held is called, turning on the back after held is called, holding on to the player after held is called, getting the arm "trapped" by "accident"-these are all wrestling-taught manoeuvres that can be cracked down on easily and are actually outside the rules)...

I think Blair’s niggling against the Storm was the right tactic, even the “late” one the commentators were bitching about was fair game. Blair was committed and if a playmaker wants to take it to the line it’s at their own risk.
The commentators were just overreacting as usual. The shot wasn't late and cooper milked it to get the penalty.

The commentators also seem to forget their glowing terms when Wade Graham was belting Cooper in the 2016 GF and Beau Scott's game plan when playing JT and just about every other dominant playmaker... but that's all well and good when it's not a bronco.

Can't wait for the glowing terms Blair will get next year for bringing a hard edge to the warriors pack

The commentators were just overreacting as usual. The shot wasn't late and cooper milked it to get the penalty.

The commentators also seem to forget their glowing terms when Wade Graham was belting Cooper in the 2016 GF and Beau Scott's game plan when playing JT and just about every other dominant playmaker... but that's all well and good when it's not a bronco.

Can't wait for the glowing terms Blair will get next year for bringing a hard edge to the warriors pack

I can recall both Andrew Johns and Sterlo coming out and condeming blokes for hitting playmakers late when their backs are turned. Couple that spring to mind are the Scott tackle on Thurston a couple of years ago and the Sam Moa hit again on Thurston in a test match.

Last edited:

A lot of what they do is against the rules. How many times did a Storm player wrestle a standing attacker to the ground after the ref called held last night? Or when they make the tackle and the player land face down and they twist the player over after the tackle has been finished? The referees are complicit because they let them get away with it every week because penalty counts have to be even.

A lot of what they do is against the rules. How many times did a Storm player wrestle a standing attacker to the ground after the ref called held last night? Or when they make the tackle and the player land face down and they twist the player over after the tackle has been finished? The referees are complicit because they let them get away with it every week because penalty counts have to be even.

The wrestling they employ I can live with, great tactics, others should do the same, Judo should be included as part of every teams training. It wouldn't just help the defense but attack too, for the props anyway. Increased hand strength, better balance, ability to shift body to better positions (post contact meters) etc. My sons defense (and attack) improved a heap after starting Judo, made rep team this year.

What I can't deal with. is how the storm are able to continue to lay or hold down the player for at least 0.5 -1.5+ seconds more, than every other team.....other teams continually get penalised for it, far more often, for far less time holding down and slowing down the ruck.

The wrestling they employ I can live with, great tactics, others should do the same, Judo should be included as part of every teams training. It wouldn't just help the defense but attack too, for the props anyway. Increased hand strength, better balance, ability to shift body to better positions (post contact meters) etc. My sons defense (and attack) improved a heap after starting Judo, made rep team this year.

What I can't deal with. is how the storm are able to continue to lay or hold down the player for at least 0.5 -1.5+ seconds more, than every other team.....other teams continually get penalised for it, far more often, for far less time holding down and slowing down the ruck.
EXACTLY! Great post!

The thing is yes the refs don't do shit about what the storm do but the opposition never do anything either to fight back. Being an mma enthusiast myself I like the wrestle and would love to see teams counteract the storm with wrestling, judo or bjj. See how they handle it.

The thing is yes the refs don't do shit about what the storm do but the opposition never do anything either to fight back. Being an mma enthusiast myself I like the wrestle and would love to see teams counteract the storm with wrestling, judo or bjj. See how they handle it.

Bo staff fighting?

Our solution i beleive looks as follows:

1. McGuire to second row
  2. Gelnn/Thaiday stays on interchange as 20 min flash player - bring brains and experience
  3. Bird to Lock - 80min player
  4. Pearson and Opiac into the backs
  5. Captaincy to Mcullough (boyd is a pussy when it comes to getting in refs ear and getting agro)
  6. Send Oates, Kahu, Pearson and Mead to bootcamp for discipline and general life skills (harden the F*$K up)
  7. Send Roberts to train with all blacks in off season - learn how to not hide during the game
  8. WE NEED A HALFBACK - Kodi does not have the brains or physical ability to bring us a premiership.
  9. Bennett needs to make this his last year - As a club we are losing our ability to attract star players at a cheaper rate due to coaching success.
Until we find a halfback solution we will be top 8-4 team. It does not matter the draw, how many top 8 teams we play, how many sunday or friday matches we get. If we dont have brains and instilled discipline we will not win matches in arm wrestles. Blair and Moga have gone - although they come up with some good football - their brain explosions hurt and stack up during games.

We should not have let Benji go - hes better than Kodi - has 2 years left still and brings the kicking game and experience we needed in the halves. Hunt is not worth the money he went to the Dragons on - so there is no point saying we should have kept hunt either. I hope Bennett has a young gun up his sleeve in the half dept coming through ranks.
Dumbest shit Ive ever seen, McGuire to second row HAHA! Oates and Kahu to harden up... wtf. Out of the whole team those to players you mentioned to "harden up" are the hardest players on our team. Some of the dribble on this forum... I'll tell ya what..

PS Kodi has great physical ability, remember Allan Langer? Multiple premiership winner 165cm 80kg not strong, no blinding speed. But Kodi standing at 172cm 88kg, crazy strength through the hips and blistering off the mark speed. Please make this your last post.

Last edited:
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.