Broncos need ..... ????

So next year we could have a halves merry go round again. We seriously need to settle on a 6 & 7

having zero competition for spots in the halves doesn't do us any good either. we need another half to put pressure on the starters and keep them on their toes

What is happening with Tyrone Roberts, has he re-signed with the Titans yet?

I thought his running game was his strong point ?
Was it? Speed and running game aren't the same thing, but I don't remember him ever being particularly fast.

having zero competition for spots in the halves doesn't do us any good either. we need another half to put pressure on the starters and keep them on their toes
Pressure is fine but continual shuffling of the halves like this year is far worse in my eyes.

Also Milf basically knows there's no pressure on him... however kodi will be living with the detractors forever it seems. Not to mention talk all year should we sign Ash. Dropping and promoting him all year or changing his role from starting half to bench utility does us no favours.

Carney is clearly not a mentor like Benji was and he's also a dominant ball player when on the field which will limit Milf's development as a primary playmaker.

It seems a very short term patch job to try and keep us competitive

he's also a dominant ball player when on the field which will limit Milf's development as a primary playmaker.

Milford is our million dollar player, if he isn't prepared or isn't able to take control of the team unless he has someone less experienced next to him then he shouldn't be on that kind of money. His pay check alone should tell him the team is his to control and the club expect him to be the dominant play maker.

It seems a very short term patch job to try and keep us competitive

of course we are going to try and stay competitive and if that means a short term signing while we wait for the right longer term deal then so be it.

Milford is our million dollar player, if he isn't prepared or isn't able to take control of the team unless he has someone less experienced next to him then he shouldn't be on that kind of money. His pay check alone should tell him the team is his to control and the club expect him to be the dominant play maker.
You're right that milf shouldn't have to be coddled into taking the reins... but the fact is we look better when milf is given the team and the current situation is milf is happy to take a backseat if his halves partner is happy to overcall him.

Putting another short term option next to him or rotating his halves partner continually throughout the year just creates disruption and doesn't help us with the long term.

of course we are going to try and stay competitive and if that means a short term signing while we wait for the right longer term deal then so be it.
We are a competitive team with Knik in the halves.

It just reeks of a panic signing and having no long term plans. I haven't been paying too much attention to the Carney situation but has he actually stated he will play under a train and trial?? We only got Benji cheap because he literally had no other option is this the same situation with Carney?? Would you be willing to take a chance on Carney for $250k-$300k if he had other options??

I don't think we should be having Milf be our primary playmaker in the long term. We play like headless chooks. Much rather have him play a supporting/running role, looking for offloads and what not, like in 2015.

I don't think we should be having Milf be our primary playmaker in the long term. We play like headless chooks. Much rather have him play a supporting/running role, looking for offloads and what not, like in 2015.
It's why everyone is screaming for Taylor to return but he's gone. Titans are going to throw a mountain of cash at him (Gordie will talk them into 2m a season if it means keeping him out of Bennetts reach) which is quite funny and maybe the sly old fellas way of ensuring they pay him way overs.
Your right about Milf needing a conductor though and letting him play off the cuff and pop up all over the place. Taylor isn't the only young half coming through so maybe another stop gap year will be enough time to find the one we need. I like what I've seen from Taylor but I'm still not convinced he's all that.

I actually think that what the Broncos need most are players with intelligence especially in the halves. Milford as the 6 and the dominant half worries me. Not because of lack of talent but I question whether he has the mind to be at the helm. Have a look at the best halves in the modern era...guys lock Lockyer, Johns, Cronk and Thurston. Besides being great athletes, they had great football minds. Smith has a great football mind. Every great team needs a leader, someone who not only leads but sees what is in front of them and can make key decisions on the spot and evolve with the game at hand.

Great players whether it be basketball ( think Magic Johnson, Jordan, Kobe Bryant etc) or Leauge have players that always seem to have time when everyone else looks rushed. Until the Broncos secure that guy I can't see the Broncos winning a championship. At present the two young halves that look like they have those skills are Clearey and Taylor. Hopefully their is someone coming through that has those qualities. Sorry, but I don't think Hunt had it, I don't think Milford has it (see him better suited in the one) and I don't think Kodi has it.

Just my two cents.

Agree with @Alec and @animal eater. Milford is suited to the Lockyer role. Lockyer was shocking whenever he played halfback.

Milford was likely to have to take control because he has more experience as a starting half in first grade than Nikorima. But seniority doesn't mean he has to be the organiser. He can still demand the ball when he thinks there is something on, or if he wants to inject himself in to the game, just like Lockyer did. But if that part of his game gets diminished by having to lead the team around, set up for kicks, organising etc, then we're playing away from his strengths.

I actually think that what the Broncos need most are players with intelligence especially in the halves. Milford as the 6 and the dominant half worries me. Not because of lack of talent but I question whether he has the mind to be at the helm. Have a look at the best halves in the modern era...guys lock Lockyer, Johns, Cronk and Thurston. Besides being great athletes, they had great football minds. Smith has a great football mind. Every great team needs a leader, someone who not only leads but sees what is in front of them and can make key decisions on the spot and evolve with the game at hand.

Great players whether it be basketball ( think Magic Johnson, Jordan, Kobe Bryant etc) or Leauge have players that always seem to have time when everyone else looks rushed. Until the Broncos secure that guy I can't see the Broncos winning a championship. At present the two young halves that look like they have those skills are Clearey and Taylor. Hopefully their is someone coming through that has those qualities. Sorry, but I don't think Hunt had it, I don't think Milford has it (see him better suited in the one) and I don't think Kodi has it.

Just my two cents.

Did these guys have great football minds at 23? When comparing 5 of the best players from the last 20 years of course Milf will come up short because they all had another 10 seasons of games to cultivate their skills and game management.

I wouldn't swap milf for Cleary or Taylor in a million years.

Did these guys have great football minds at 23? When comparing 5 of the best players from the last 20 years of course Milf will come up short because they all had another 10 seasons of games to cultivate their skills and game management.

I wouldn't swap milf for Cleary or Taylor in a million years.

Not asking to get rid of Milford, just saying he isn't the dominant half and may be better suited as a fullback.

Milford shouldn't have to be the dominant half though that's not what playing 5/8 is.

as bad as it sounds carney is the best performed of the 3 - kicking game is prob what wayne is chasing on a short term basis.
jayden isnt big enough and doesnt provide a settled 7 option, hastings is a different cat all together!!! its a big no for him from me and a big no for nikorima as well.
long term view for me - i would not bring ash taylor back!!! i would go elsewhere or invest heavily in paix. i think he can play grade at a young age

I'd bring Ash back, but it would have to be for the right price. At the money bandied around for him, i wouldnt touch him. He still has a lot to prove.

Active Now

• Bish
  • Culhwch
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Tim K
  • Midean
  • Fitzy
  • Johnny92
  • Big Del
  • Foordy
  • Sproj
  • porouian
  • Wendall Taylor
  • john1420
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fozz
  • Alec
  • Broncosgirl
  • levikaden
  • KateBroncos1812
  • leon.bott
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.