Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stupid business decision to re-sign him before the season starts, should be waiting until mid-season, if not post-season, to see if he improves under Bennet.

I can't see any of the Sydney teams wanting him, they all have pretty solid hookers.

Agreed.

His form tapered off as soon as Smith resigned with Melbourne.

He only seems to play well when his position is under threat.

That said, if he resigns, I really hope that becomes the player that some people think that he is capable of becoming.

Agreed.

That said, if he resigns, I really hope that becomes the player that some people think that he is capable of becoming.

I hope he resigns ... I don't want to re-sign him :tongue:

It's no secret I'm no huge fan, but I hope against hope he can actually improve and take his game to the next level. I'm not holding my breath that he will, and it's not even that I think he sucks, I just think he's bog average for a NRL hooker, and to be a truly top team you need a hooker above average.

I'm a big fan of Macca, but he really does need to get out of 2nd gear. He has the odd great game here or there, but he has to pull his finger out. Just up the quality of everything he does or can do. While it's generally accepted that the hooker is the first defensive contact, it would benefit his game to back off every 3rd tackle or so. As bad as it sounds, he'll have Blair to help in the 'wrestle' so he might get out of a bit of work. Also, I believe had we signed Smith, Melbourne would've taken him and turned him into Smith 2.0, which I think he has the potential to be (or at least 1.5)

His main flaw is that he sometimes lacks creativity around the ruck.
His delivery could also be a tad faster but I would call him well above average. Yes we could improve but not that greatly. IMO he's the third best kicker from hooker and one of the best defenders. He rarely makes a mistake out of dummy half he just doesn't create many opportunities either.

His main flaw is that he sometimes lacks creativity around the ruck.
His delivery could also be a tad faster but I would call him well above average. Yes we could improve but not that greatly. IMO he's the third best kicker from hooker and one of the best defenders. He rarely makes a mistake out of dummy half he just doesn't create many opportunities either.

In my view the following hookers are better than McCullough....

Smith
Friend
Luke
Ballin
Segeyaro
Farah
Ennis

He's pretty middle of the road.

He needs to up his game a long way to get anywhere near Smith, Friend etc...

Agreed.

This point is what infuriates me the most about McCullough. I know it's human nature - some people only produce their best when they have someone in their shadow. He's off contract this year - of course he'll have a blinder. Still pretty stupid to ink a deal before a game has been played. I hope Brisbane know what they're doing.

I call BS on a few things in the article. For example, he impressed at the Auckland Nines? Get your hand off it. Wasn't he hooked for the last game?

On a side note: It would be a disgrace if he eclipses some of Lockyer's records.

McCullough is a great defender but lacks speed and creativity in attack. He shows glimpses now and then but so do a lot of average players. I think that some Broncos fans have placed too much expectation on him. Some fans get over excited when young players show some promise and wrongfully start comparing them to elite players in the game. I think McCullough has reached his potential. Which is ok because not every player in the team needs to be elite.

This point is what infuriates me the most about McCullough. I know it's human nature - some people only produce their best when they have someone in their shadow. He's off contract this year - of course he'll have a blinder. Still pretty stupid to ink a deal before a game has been played. I hope Brisbane know what they're doing.

I call BS on a few things in the article. For example, he impressed at the Auckland Nines? Get your hand off it. Wasn't he hooked for the last game?

On a side note: It would be a disgrace if he eclipses some of Lockyer's records.

Haha hooked for the last game? Why don't you take your own advice and take YOUR hand off it. The senior players were rested from the last game.

Yeah. Bennett didn't give a **** about the competition so when we were no longer a chance he 'hooked' an apparent underperformer. Do you have any idea how stupid that sounds?

McCullough is a great defender but lacks speed and creativity in attack. He shows glimpses now and then but so do a lot of average players. I think that some Broncos fans have placed too much expectation on him. Some fans get over excited when young players show some promise and wrongfully start comparing them to elite players in the game. I think McCullough has reached his potential. Which is ok because not every player in the team needs to be elite.

Which is fair enough, but if he's not elite, then his position shouldn't be guaranteed. He's had the #9 jersey to himself since late 2009. It's a critical position, exacerbated by the fact that there's only one in the starting side, arguably the halves are a pairing so the only other position with as much singular responsibility is the fullback. There aren't many non-elite fullbacks that have had the spot to themselves for 4+ years unchallenged.

Haha hooked for the last game? Why don't you take your own advice and take YOUR hand off it. The senior players were rested from the last game.

Yeah. Bennett didn't give a **** about the competition so when we were no longer a chance he 'hooked' an apparent underperformer. Do you have any idea how stupid that sounds?

He was the captain though - wouldn't he want to see out the tournament? What do you mean rested? It's the Nines FFS!

and re-signing a player who hasn't really impressed for years before the season he's off contract even starts - Do you have any idea how stupid that sounds?

Last edited:
and re-signing a player who hasn't really impressed for years before the season he's off contract even starts - Do you have any idea how stupid that sounds?

I didn't make any comment on this so fucked if I know why you bought t up in response to my post.

Macca needs to improve as I have said previously but obviously bennett thinks he can, bennett isn't afraid to get rid of players.

My point was that it was stupid to suggest he was hooked from the nines because Bennett doesn't give a **** about the nines. If you can't see how that is a stupid thing to suggest then I really don't know what to say

Last edited:
I didn't make any comment on this so ****ed if I know why you bought t up in response to my post.

Macca needs to improve as I have said previously but obviously bennett thinks he can, bennett isn't afraid to get rid of players.

My point was that it was stupid to suggest he was hooked from the nines because Bennett doesn't give a **** about the nines. If you can't see how that is a stupid think to suggest then I really don't know what to say

The point I made is that it wasn't an impressive performance - like the article pointed out. Whether Bennett rates the Nine or not, whether they were rested or not is all wallpaper. The team played ****. McCullough included.

I think Glenn is as good as gone for next season so that will mean more spending money for Wayne. He'll sign Gagai for sure and I reckon he will be looking for big forwards.

The point I made is that it wasn't an impressive performance - like the article pointed out. Whether Bennett rates the Nine or not, whether they were rested or not is all wallpaper. The team played ****. McCullough included.

I won't keep this going but you said he was hooked which you know is wrong

I think Glenn is as good as gone for next season so that will mean more spending money for Wayne. He'll sign Gagai for sure and I reckon he will be looking for big forwards.

I think you're bang on

Which is fair enough, but if he's not elite, then his position shouldn't be guaranteed. He's had the #9 jersey to himself since late 2009. It's a critical position, exacerbated by the fact that there's only one in the starting side, arguably the halves are a pairing so the only other position with as much singular responsibility is the fullback. There aren't many non-elite fullbacks that have had the spot to themselves for 4+ years unchallenged.

All good dude, we signed Waddell.

[TWEET]563647513396133889[/TWEET]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Turks85
  • LittleDavey
  • BroncosAlways
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Tmac
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mustafur
  • Johnny92
  • Harry Sack
  • kiwi2
  • RolledOates
  • Shane Tronc
  • Strop
  • broncoscope
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Fatboy
  • OzeMike
  • Big Del
  • sooticus
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.