Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really interested in JWall unless he's okay to take a bit less than he's on now.

Marty Taupau on the other hand... I've been a huge fan for years, he's a fucking quality player. No way it would ever happen but he would instantly improve the team, on and off the field.

I would absolutely love having Taupau at the club.

The guy is a fucking beast. The kind of prop where on his best day, can make 200+ metres easily. He has a great offload and he has matured quite a bit over the years.

I don’t really care if we lose a couple of our young props to sign him. He is worth it.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...0e582c50beaf3610-1526002525&memtype=anonymous

IT’s official — the Broncos have closed the door on the prospect of Titans prop Jarrod Wallace returning to Red Hill.
Blindside can reveal Wallace recently contacted Wayne Bennett to sound out the possibility of a second coming at Brisbane but the supercoach made it clear there is no room in the salary cap for the Maroons bookend.
Wallace has a 12-month option in his favour to remain at the Titans next year but has interest from Sydney-based rivals and stands to attracts offers of $700,000 a season.

THE raid on Brisbane’s young guns continues.
Jaydn Su’A and Payne Haas are in the sights of NRL rivals and rookie prop Pat Carrigan is also attracting attention.
Three clubs are watching Carrigan closely.
The Wynnum bookend is off-contract next year and was outstanding for the Seagulls last weekend, amassing 160 metres, 32 tackles and eight tackle busts against the Capras.

Bennett must be really confident retention wise then

Because Manly will know every club is interested and will pay full value if they want him early which some clubs will

Yeah that's true, I guess clubs could get into a bidding war for a player that a club desperately needs to offload, I just don't remember it happening

Probably has though

$700k though.

$600k to match titans. Only $200k more than we are apparently going to pay lodge and being a Queensland rep you could get third party deal to cover some as well it would have been close

When should we find out about these contracts everyone is talking about? Haas, TPJ, su'a, oats lodge ect. I'm not liking this unknown

When should we find out about these contracts everyone is talking about? Haas, TPJ, su'a, oats lodge ect. I'm not liking this unknown

when they either re-sign with us or 10 days after they sign elsewhere

when they either re-sign with us or 10 days after they sign elsewhere
Is there a date that it all has to be done by or it's just when ever they sort out a deal both parties are happy with? Sorry I'm not good with this resigning stuff, I am getting better since joining this forum tho

Is there a date that it all has to be done by or it's just when ever they sort out a deal both parties are happy with? Sorry I'm not good with this resigning stuff, I am getting better since joining this forum tho

no date for anyone who is off contract next year, can be done at anytime...

for those off contract for the 2020 season, we can offer them a new contract at any time, but rivals can't officially offer them a deal until November 1 (they can talk to them though)

no date for anyone who is off contract next year, can be done at anytime...

for those off contract for the 2020 season, we can offer them a new contract at any time, but rivals can't officially offer them a deal until November 1 (they can talk to them though)
Ok, it makes more sense now. You would think, that being the case, they would of locked up TPJ already.. Maybe the verbal declaration of loyalty to the club has them at ease for now

I want to continue to back Bennett, I truely do, but the fact we were allowed to head into this season without a genuine Halfback (almost certainly the most crucial position in any NRL side) and absolutely no backup Hooker with any NRL experience was very poor indeed.

I can resolve that maybe they had a plan that didn’t work out and it’s a bit unfortunate and I guess I can live with that, but the truely damning thing for me now is the fact that it appears we are now positioned to enter a SECOND STRAIGHT season in the same boat unless something drastic changes, and to me, for a club like Brisbane to be in that position is simply unacceptable

I want to continue to back Bennett, I truely do, but the fact we were allowed to head into this season without a genuine Halfback (almost certainly the most crucial position in any NRL side) and absolutely no backup Hooker with any NRL experience was very poor indeed.

I can resolve that maybe they had a plan that didn’t work out and it’s a bit unfortunate and I guess I can live with that, but the truely damning thing for me now is the fact that it appears we are now positioned to enter a SECOND STRAIGHT season in the same boat unless something drastic changes, and to me, for a club like Brisbane to be in that position is simply unacceptable

we tried to have a genuine halfback ...

one left us for a 1.2 million per season contract ... and if we had gottent close to that BHQ would have rioted and burned Red Hill to the ground

the other we chased decided to take the Titans massive contract.

no other good genuine halfbacks on the market.

we tried to have a genuine halfback ...

one left us for a 1.2 million per season contract ... and if we had gottent close to that BHQ would have rioted and burned Red Hill to the ground

the other we chased decided to take the Titans massive contract.

no other good genuine halfbacks on the market.

As I said above, I understand the situation we got ourselves in this year and whilst I don’t think it was a good reflection of the management I understand sometimes circumstances don’t work out the way we plan and I can go an extent accept that.

The point is though, we look like we’re about to set ourselves up to do exactly the same thing all over again, and I’m sorry, but that is frankly not acceptable.

The idea that no good Halfbacks have come onto the mark in two whole seasons is a stretch, but we don’t even need a good Halfback, just a serviceable one. The bloody Warriors could manage to go out and get exactly what they needed to help Shaun Johnson fire and they’re an absolute basket case usually.

We’re supposed to be the Broncos, we’re supposed to have pulling power in the player market because of who we are and because of who our Coach is, yet we can’t seem to go to market to fill the biggest hole in our roster with an even passable NRL standard player. I’m sorry, but something is seriously wrong with that scenario.

I don’t want to open up another can of worms and get off topic here but honestly, if Ben Hunt, a likely State of Origin Halfback this year isn’t worth a marquee contract, then who exactly are we spending that sort of money on instead, because I look around our squad and I’m struggling to work out where exactly we have better spent that money instead?

As I said above, I understand the situation we got ourselves in this year and whilst I don’t think it was a good reflection of the management I understand sometimes circumstances don’t work out the way we plan and I can go an extent accept that.

The point is though, we look like we’re about to set ourselves up to do exactly the same thing all over again, and I’m sorry, but that is frankly not acceptable.

The idea that no good Halfbacks have come onto the mark in two whole seasons is a stretch, but we don’t even need a good Halfback, just a serviceable one. The bloody Warriors could manage to go out and get exactly what they needed to help Shaun Johnson fire and they’re an absolute basket case usually.

We’re supposed to be the Broncos, we’re supposed to have pulling power in the player market because of who we are and because of who our Coach is, yet we can’t seem to go to market to fill the biggest hole in our roster with an even passable NRL standard player. I’m sorry, but something is seriously wrong with that scenario.

I don’t want to open up another can of worms and get off topic here but honestly, if Ben Hunt, a likely State of Origin Halfback this year isn’t worth a marquee contract, then who exactly are we spending that sort of money on instead, because I look around our squad and I’m struggling to work out where exactly we have better spent that money instead?
Very well said, all incredibly valid points.

What people seem to conveniently forget too, is the exact type of player we needed did come on the market - twice.

Hodkinson, despite his injuries, would have come so cheaply he really was a no brainier and worth the gamble.

And as much as I dislike the bloke (see my post in NRL general thread), Pearce would have filled that hole perfectly (pun definitely intended). He may fail consistently at Origin level, but he has proven he can get the job done in the NRL.

Bennett’s flat out dismissal of signing him because of something along the lines of he’s not the type of player we want at the Broncos was just so arrogant and narrowminded. I mean, let’s not make ourselves out to be saints, we signed Matt Lodge FFS.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad we signed Lodge and that we have stuck by him so passionately and certainly agree he deserves a second chance. But I don’t know how Bennett could possibly know what sort of player / person Pearce is without ever having coached him. Bennett always bandies out the line about the media making stuff up, but to then go and judge someone without having spent any considerable time with them is hypocritical if nothing else.

Surely Pearce was worth at least considering, given the predicament everyone else could see we were in barring Bennett himself.

Last edited:
Very well said, all incredibly valid points.

What people seem to conveniently forget too, is the exact type of player we needed did come on the market - twice.

Hodkinson, despite his injuries, would have come so cheaply he really was a no brainier and worth the gamble.

And as much as I dislike the bloke (see my post in NRL general thread), Pearce would have filled that hole perfectly (pun definitely intended). He may fail consistently at Origin level, but he has proven he can get the job done in the NRL.

Bennett’s flat out dismissal of signing him because of something along the lines of he’s not the type of player we want at the Broncos was just so arrogant and narrowminded. I mean, let’s not make ourselves out to be saints, we signed Matt Lodge FFS.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad we signed Lodge and that we have stuck by him so passionately and certainly agree he deserves a second chance. But I don’t know how Bennett could possibly know what sort of player / person Pearce is without ever having coached him. Bennett always bandies out the line about the media making stuff up, but to then go and judge someone without having spent any considerable time with them is hypocritical if nothing else.

Surely Pearce was worth at least considering, given the predicament everyone else could see we were in barring Bennett himself.

both players you talk about were contracted for this season and didn't come on the market until well after last season was over ... most clubs don't keep a spare 700k (in the case of Pearce) on the off chance a quality player comes off contract

both players you talk about were contracted for this season and didn't come on the market until well after last season was over ... most clubs don't keep a spare 700k (in the case of Pearce) on the off chance a quality player comes off contract
So where did the Taylor money go?

If my memory serves me correctly, we were still chasing him post signing Bird, so we obviously had money spare.

I also can’t recall signing or extending anyone else (on considerable money anyway) since, so that does leave a surplus of funds.

I’m not trying to argue with you, I pose that as a legitimate question.

So where did the Taylor money go?

If my memory serves me correctly, we were still chasing him post signing Bird, so we obviously had money spare.

I also can’t recall signing or extending anyone else (on considerable money anyway) since, so that does leave a surplus of funds.

I’m not trying to argue with you, I pose that as a legitimate question.

technically we were chasing Taylor for next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • rnabokov
  • Mustafur
  • Gaz
  • Galah
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.