Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok some of this stuff is downright ridiculous. Firstly, Glenn doesn’t need to be Petro, he needs to be a consistent defender and a decent hole runner. And he’s both. Second it’s easy to get excited about rookies but rookies need old level heads to help them develop. Anyone who’s ever played footy can attest to the importance of that. Third footy isn’t all about individual brilliance and stats. It’s how you move as a team, cover each other and talk. Glenn does the little things really really well. Lastly that comment about how Glenn has never left the broncs so his experience is useless is the strangest thing I’ve read on this forum in a while. are you saying Lockyer’s experience was pointless? Or Parker? Or Cameron Smith? Come on, some of the best footy players are one club players.

That kind of mentality is why players like Cody Walker and Rhyse Martin go unnoticed for so long.

Clubs just end up recruiting "names" and reputations rather than genuine footballing ability. Which causes them to spend overs.

Walker was at the Panthers, Titans and Storm before Souths and Martin was at the Roosters. None of them unnoticed.

My issue with people wanting to keep Glenn purely for his "experience" and "reliability" is that we have Su'A & Fifita waiting. Every single thing I've seen of Su'A at every level of Rugby League indicates that he's ready, he doesn't need a post-prime veteran to show him how to train or how to run holes, he's arguably already a better player than Glenn and is 20 years old, we'd be doing him, and ourselves a disservice by thinking that he requires more time playing in the Queensland Cup and "learning from veterans", that's a load of shit. Sometimes you have to make the tough calls, Glenn has been a good servant, but we've got multiple players who are comparable, if not better than him already, who are a decade younger, ready to go. This is a business. If we feel as if we're getting too young as a whole, then as it's been said many times, it isn't hard to find level headed veterans on the cheap, as we've done with guys like Tagatese & Mead in the previous 2 years.

My issue with people wanting to keep Glenn purely for his "experience" and "reliability" is that we have Su'A & Fifita waiting. Every single thing I've seen of Su'A at every level of Rugby League indicates that he's ready, he doesn't need a post-prime veteran to show him how to train or how to run holes, he's arguably already a better player than Glenn and is 20 years old, we'd be doing him, and ourselves a disservice by thinking that he requires more time playing in the Queensland Cup and "learning from veterans", that's a load of shit. Sometimes you have to make the tough calls, Glenn has been a good servant, but we've got multiple players who are comparable, if not better than him already, who are a decade younger, ready to go. This is a business. If we feel as if we're getting too young as a whole, then as it's been said many times, it isn't hard to find level headed veterans on the cheap, as we've done with guys like Tagatese & Mead in the previous 2 years.

Yeah this for me.

I'm not having a go at Glenn and sometimes it feels like people get so defensive about great servants like Glenn, and I mean no disrespect. For many reasons he is still one of my favourite players and always will be, but I just don't see where he fits with this team anymore.

He is too good for reserve grade but if he stays here that is all he will be unless there are injuries. It makes no sense to anyone for him to stay here.

What about Blake this year makes you want to sign him?

JD probably would sign his old Pride mate if he was coach!

In my opinion I’ve always rated him he’s a good hole runner and the ability to play hooker and lock makes him versatile. He would be a cheap dean young. If we ever needed more depth he should get a look.

His one big chance in the NRL was at manly and like parcell and Cullen it seemed to hinder their career than anything

I think what most people arguing against this are saying revolves around a few points
- Glenn is off contract at the end of 2018
- His salary isn't ludicrously high
- He would need to be replaced in the top 30
- He's still playing at a level worthy of the top 17 or first reserve

I'd say if Glenn found himself a club that was willing to throw him a 3 yr contract right now then the broncos wouldn't stand in his way (similar to Blair), but outside of that there is no real point in dumping him to try and find a couple extra thousand when basically the only two re-signings left are TPJ and Oates.

It's likely from reports that our back row will be
11. Sua
12. Gillett
13. McGuire

So he's not standing in Sua's way, but if Sua struggles to find consistency then Glenn is there as a ready replacement.

Nobody has outperformed Glenn on a regular basis yet. Potentially we have 2 who are capable of doing it and When they do it's going to be a different story. At them moment, I just don't see why we need to try to push one of our most reliable and consistent performers out the door when he only has a year left on his contract anyway.

I just don't want him here solely for reliability and experience, I want him here because he is a good player and there are a lot of question marks over our other back rowers imo.

I guess it's not completely comparable, because the Roosters have big dollar talent everywhere except arguably the back row, but there is a reason they held on to Aubusson all this time. The only big name they've kept over time is Cordner. SBW leaving was not their preferred choice of course, but they've let (admittedly an ageing) Guerra go, Matterson go when he's looking to hit his straps, etc. Even bringing Crichton in, Aubusson is still there for depth and reliability.

Nobody has outperformed Glenn on a regular basis yet.

I did post the Su'A vs Glenn comparison statistics for the season at some point over the past month in games in which they started and played above 70 minutes, Su'A was comfortably ahead, and it was a reasonably large sample size. So I disagree.

I did post the Su'A vs Glenn comparison statistics for the season at some point over the past month in games in which they started and played above 70 minutes, Su'A was comfortably ahead, and it was a reasonably large sample size. So I disagree.

What about the things that dont get recorded? Stats quite often dont tell the whole story. Look at ball hog peptide Paul for example. His meters can look amazing, doesn't mean he does a great deal though. There are two many variables for me in using stats to try to determine how effective a player is or isnt. TPJ was immense against the Cowboys at home and by far the best player on the field. His running meters were pretty low for a prop, but his overall performance was immense. Stats wouldn't have given you the whole picture.

If you do want to judge a player by stats anyway, there isnt really a great deal between Sua and Glenn anyway i wouldnt have thought based on this season. I'd probably say the only thing i currently see Sua being a lot better than Glenn at is probably his offloading.

What about the things that dont get recorded? Stats quite often dont tell the whole story. Look at ball hog peptide Paul for example. His meters can look amazing, doesn't mean he does a great deal though. There are two many variables for me in using stats to try to determine how effective a player is or isnt. TPJ was immense against the Cowboys at home and by far the best player on the field. His running meters were pretty low for a prop, but his overall performance was immense. Stats wouldn't have given you the whole picture.

If you do want to judge a player by stats anyway, there isnt really a great deal between Sua and Glenn anyway i wouldnt have thought based on this season. I'd probably say the only thing i currently see Sua being a lot better than Glenn at is probably his offloading.

From memory Su'A was averaging close to 40 more metres per game, considerably more offloads & tackle busts, and similar levels of tackles & tackle efficiency in his starts vs Glenn in his starts. Stats don't always tell the whole story, but they rarely lie.

Last edited:
From memory Su'A was averaging close to 40 more metres per game, considerably more offloads & tackle busts, and similar levels of tackles & tackle efficiency in his starts vs Glenn in his starts. Stats don't always tell the whole story, but they rarely lie.

They dont have to lie, but there is a hell of a lot they dont tell you as well. I agree stats can be useful, but there are way too many variables to rely on them to judge a player. I'd rather see how both Sua and Fifita back up next year before i'd be wanting Glenn gone. We know Glenn does the job well, we know we can rely on him. He doesn't give away dumb penalties and he always competes every minute he is on the field and he has been doing it for a long time. Thats not the sort of player i want to get rid of.

We dont want to leave ourselves short either if they have a dip in form ( not uncommon in younger players ). Like i keep saying, going into next year relying on two unproven players, a player coming back from a serious injury and a prop who can play back row who might not even be here anyway is a hell of a risk.

We also need to find some backs as well imo, especially if Oates leaves. We are bit skinny at the moment especially for wingers. AS much as i like Kahu, i'm beginning to wonder if all his injuries have caught up with him. We dont have a great deal of wing cover at all now Jonas is gone.

Last edited:
We also need to find some backs as well imo, especially if Oates leaves. We are bit skinny at the moment especially for wingers. AS much as i like Kahu, i'm beginning to wonder if all his injuries have caught up with him. We dont have a great deal of wing cover at all now Jonas is gone.

Will have to agree to disagree about the Glenn part, I think Gillett, Su'A, Fifita & TPJ is more than adequate in the edge back row department and is close to zero risk of backfiring.

I do 100% agree with this part though, Kahu is completely cooked, we need some more outside backs pronto.

Will have to agree to disagree about the Glenn part, I think Gillett, Su'A, Fifita & TPJ is more than adequate in the edge back row department and is close to zero risk of backfiring.

I do 100% agree with this part though, Kahu is completely cooked, we need some more outside backs pronto.

Thats fair enough, but i'll never feel stats are the way to judge players because like i said, there are too many variables. You just cant use scientific facts to compare two players when the environment they are in isnt set up to give them a fair comparison. Thats just basic science. All the variables need to be the same, which of course they can never be in a game of footy.

Hope your right though about it having zero chance of backfiring, i'm not 100% convinced especially with Gillo. Neck injuries can seriously effect players.

Thats fair enough, but i'll never feel stats are the way to judge players because like i said, there are too many variables. You just cant use scientific facts to compare two players when the environment they are in isnt set up to give them a fair comparison. Thats just basic science. All the variables need to be the same, which of course they can never be in a game of footy.

Hope your right though about it having zero chance of backfiring, i'm not 100% convinced especially with Gillo. Neck injuries can seriously effect players.

For the record, I hope you're not under the assumption that I'm basing my entire standpoint off stats, I also happen to think Su'A looks significantly more impactful and better than Glenn from just watching and comparing the two. I'd say it's very likely Fifita surpasses both of them within 12-24 months as well.

If Glenn was signed for another 3 years I think there would be a fair argument, but the fact that he only has 1 year kinda makes it irrelevant imo.

If the young guys kill it and relegate him to Q Cup - no problem.
If he performs as he normally does and keeps the young guys on their toes - also no problem.

He isn't costing that much as it is, and in any case if we needed his money for signing up other players, we can simply backend the contracts so it can be used on whomever post 2019

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.