Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oates makes a lot of errors. So do a lot of other wingers including the best in the game. Even when he was at the top of his game, he was making a lot of errors. That's just something wingers do. Always have, always will. They are more prone to making errors.

If people are hoping for a winger that's not going to make a lot of errors, you're going to be waiting a while...

We had it so good with maranta.

Errors per game for backs (Position 1-7) this year, minimum 5 games played -

Kepoa - 2.6
Lomax - 2.0
Drinkwater - 2.0
T.Trbojevic - 1.9
Lemuelu - 1.9
Don - 1.8
Harper - 1.8
Fusitu'a - 1.7
Holmes - 1.7
Coates - 1.7
Morgan - 1.7
Tupou - 1.6
J.Morris - 1.6
Opacic - 1.6
Valemi - 1.6
Watene-Zelezniak - 1.6
Wighton - 1.5
Vunivalu - 1.5
Momirovski - 1.5
Talau - 1.5
Mulitalo - 1.5
Ponga - 1.4
Isaako - 1.4
S.Crichton - 1.4
Hiku - 1.4
Burns - 1.4
To'o - 1.4
Garrick - 1.4
Tedesco - 1.3
Perham - 1.3
Staggs - 1.3
Taufua - 1.3
Ferguson - 1.3
Kelly - 1.3
Oates - 1.3 (Note: Did play 2 games off the interchange & 3 games in the second row)
Is there a stat that shows stupid errors that put the team under more pressure than they need to be in? Or a stat that shows what their errors led to? Stats without context are almost worthless.

Last edited:
Shows how rubbish the entire backline is.

Errors, rightly or wrongly, are also judged by context.

Unfortunately, many of Oates’s errors seem to come when we need them the least - dropping bombs or defending kicks and early in the set hitups losing possession in our own end. Coach killer errors

Compared to putting a foot out trying to score or dropping a bad pass on the end of a backline play - still two errors but can be potentially far less significant as far as what happens in the game, and assuming they don’t cost the game, can be more easily forgiven

Is there a stat that shows stupid errors that put the team under more pressure than they need to be in? Or a stat that shows what their errors led to? Stats without context are almost worthless.

I'm on your side, Oates is dog shit. Was just showing the numbers for reference sake.

Guys like To'o, Fusitu'a & Tupou average more errors per game than Oates, but they're some of the best wingers in the comp and have great hands.

Errors per game for backs (Position 1-7) this year, minimum 5 games played -

Kepoa - 2.6
Lomax - 2.0
Drinkwater - 2.0
T.Trbojevic - 1.9
Lemuelu - 1.9
Don - 1.8
Harper - 1.8
Fusitu'a - 1.7
Holmes - 1.7
Coates - 1.7
Morgan - 1.7
Tupou - 1.6
J.Morris - 1.6
Opacic - 1.6
Valemi - 1.6
Watene-Zelezniak - 1.6
Wighton - 1.5
Vunivalu - 1.5
Momirovski - 1.5
Talau - 1.5
Mulitalo - 1.5
Ponga - 1.4
Isaako - 1.4
S.Crichton - 1.4
Hiku - 1.4
Burns - 1.4
To'o - 1.4
Garrick - 1.4
Tedesco - 1.3
Perham - 1.3
Staggs - 1.3
Taufua - 1.3
Ferguson - 1.3
Kelly - 1.3
Oates - 1.3 (Note: Did play 2 games off the interchange & 3 games in the second row)
I'm guessing these errors are also taking into account drops, knock ons, etc. from attacking kicks. Like when they go into a contest with little chance of getting it but knock it on in the process.

We rarely do cross field kicks whereas someone like Lomax is an aerial target for the dragons... although interesting that our only noted aerial threat in Coates also has the highest error rate in our team.

These errors dont really cost your team in the long run, because at least you were in position for an attacking kick in the first place

Errors, rightly or wrongly, are also judged by context.

Unfortunately, many of Oates’s errors seem to come when we need them the least - dropping bombs or defending kicks and early in the set hitups losing possession in our own end. Coach killer errors

Compared to putting a foot out trying to score or dropping a bad pass on the end of a backline play - still two errors but can be potentially far less significant as far as what happens in the game, and assuming they don’t cost the game, can be more easily forgiven
If Oates doesn't play the last two games we probably avoid the spoon.

I used to love the guy but he's fucking poo now, he still runs in like an absolute moron off his wing everytime.

If Kev wants to keep him next year I'll give him benefit of the doubt but I hope Kev is happy to drop shit players because Seibold took way too long to make any decisions.

I didnt think oates played too badly in the games he played in the second row. I think they were actually some of his stronger games for the year. He is one of the few that can run a line and hit a hole.

I didnt think oates played too badly in the games he played in the second row. I think they were actually some of his stronger games for the year. He is one of the few that can run a line and hit a hole.
Yea, i agree with this 100%

Maybe if Kevvie just reassured Oates that he is a secondrower now, and will only be used in that position, he might start to get a bit of consistency in his game.

Yea, i agree with this 100%

Maybe if Kevvie just reassured Oates that he is a secondrower now, and will only be used in that position, he might start to get a bit of consistency in his game.
He had consistency this year, just not the kind you want.

You're acting like Fogarty was Thurston this year ...

the fact is he did enough to take the pressure off Taylor to allow him to shine. Fogarty on his own wasn't anything special. Hell, if he was playing for us this year, then his career would have been over before it got started.

Fogarty finished:

24th in Try Assists (same number as Darius Boyd had)
23rd in Line Break Assists
outside the top 50 in Line Breaks
outside the top 50 for tries
Did you watch his games?

Oates makes a lot of errors. So do a lot of other wingers including the best in the game. Even when he was at the top of his game, he was making a lot of errors. That's just something wingers do. Always have, always will. They are more prone to making errors.

If people are hoping for a winger that's not going to make a lot of errors, you're going to be waiting a while...
Maranta? Tbf the only errors he made was that he couldn't finish a try to save his life.

Not sure if anyone wanted him but just got told that the Melbourne Rebels have signed Young T. Couldn't find confirmation anywhere though so don't quote me on it.

Not sure if anyone wanted him but just got told that the Melbourne Rebels have signed Young T. Couldn't find confirmation anywhere though so don't quote me on it.

Ha well there you go. I would have been happy to have him at Brissy.

Ha well there you go. I would have been happy to have him at Brissy.
Never sold me personally and I'm sure there was a reason we offered him a tiny contract to stay. Good thing you missed out I'd say.

We may as well just keep Kennar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Wild Horse
  • Dash
  • Porthoz
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fitzy
  • broncos4life
  • Bish
  • theshed
  • Rambstien
  • thenry
  • Sproj
  • dasherhalo
  • HarryAllan7
  • Wolfie
  • Midean
  • something
  • Rookie Alan
  • kiwibronco
  • BooKhaki
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.