Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

**** that's pretty big news... guy is sitting behind a couple at the moment and was looking for outs in preseason, but has gone for a 3yr extension.

Long deal too.

Dobbo been on the mark so far... does that mean Payne could be coming soon as well 🤔🤔🤔

Also is Petey B on the outer... he didnt seem to have any inside knowledge of the deals and then backs it up trying to trap Kevvie during 360 the other night

Yep, 2 of 3 to Dobbo so far, if Haas signs on as well, sign Kevvie up to a multi-year deal too.

Mariner is one of the key signings I really hoped happened. Jensen and Arthars are great money ball signings and of course Patty is one of the pinnacles. Now to get Haas, Mam, Walsh and Riki done.

I dont think most were expecting big things from kevie from a coaching perspective (well I hadnt), but folowing the seibold era, he was hired to:
- improve the culture/vibes in the playing group after a couple difficult years where a toxic element had festered.
- improve the club's relationship with fans, ex-players and sponsors.
- help the broncos find their identity again
- improve on field performances.
- try to provide some stability.
Which I supported.

Whether he is considered a ",good coach', He has done what was needed from him. His next step is to make us consistent contenders. If "not a good coach" can do that, I would be happy to keep the "not a good coach".

I dont think most were expecting big things from kevie from a coaching perspective (well I hadnt), but folowing the seibold era, he was hired to:
- improve the culture/vibes in the playing group after a couple difficult years where a toxic element had festered.
- improve the club's relationship with fans, ex-players and sponsors.
- help the broncos find their identity again
- improve on field performances.
- try to provide some stability.
Which I supported.

Whether he is considered a ",good coach', He has done what was needed from him. His next step is to make us consistent contenders. If "not a good coach" can do that, I would be happy to keep the "not a good coach".
Noticed the boys had a culture night last night, with all sorts of different food from their cultures and alot of non players are there too, not sure if this is a new thing or not but it ties into some of the points you made

Just throwing this out into the ether to generate some discussion....

I'm looking at Hargreaves current situation at the Sombreros and wondering if he wouldn't be a decent pickup even for a moderate sized deal for his age. I'm thinking something in the vicinity of 400-500k per year for a season or two. We have Flegler's spot freeing up next year, going to JWH and selling him on a pack spot alongside Haas, Taupau and Carrigan and a potential swansong premiership may work greatly in our favor. His experience rubbing off on the younger blokes certainly wouldn't go astray either.
JWH is penalised and suspended at the chooks, he would be hard pressed to play 40 minutes here for the season.

So what do you guys reckon is the key to Arthars re-signing?

I think it is fantastic for the club but now we have 6 NRL level backline players, given Mariner has also excitingly re-signed, to fit into 5 positions. Will Arthars be happy to be that 6th man or will he be loaned out? And let's deal with the elephant in the room, what does it mean for Oates or does it mean nothing at all? Oates is a genuine gun and should be a one club player AND is a lot better than Arthars and even Mariner at this stage but is also apparently on a PO for next year. If a team comes knocking and there would be some interested for sure, does he leave?

So what do you guys reckon is the key to Arthars re-signing?

I think it is fantastic for the club but now we have 6 NRL level backline players, given Mariner has also excitingly re-signed, to fit into 5 positions. Will Arthars be happy to be that 6th man or will he be loaned out? And let's deal with the elephant in the room, what does it mean for Oates or does it mean nothing at all? Oates is a genuine gun and should be a one club player AND is a lot better than Arthars and even Mariner at this stage but is also apparently on a PO for next year. If a team comes knocking and there would be some interested for sure, does he leave?

If Oates starts to struggle, considering his recent honesty with himself, I think he'll be more than happy to slot back to Q Cup until he's needed. But in reality he has one, maybe two seasons left, so the Mariner & Arthors signings make sense.

How good would it be sending Oates out with a premiership?

If Oates starts to struggle, considering his recent honesty with himself, I think he'll be more than happy to slot back to Q Cup until he's needed. But in reality he has one, maybe two seasons left, so the Mariner & Arthors signings make sense.

How good would it be sending Oates out with a premiership?

What makes you think he's only got one or two seasons left? He looks as good as he ever has (minus the broken jaw of course).

I think arthars has been happy to resign because;
-There are always injuries (including mandatory head injury stand downs) to get a bit of game time.
-He may be used in a 17 position to cover the backs with the new head injury rules.
-The loan deal last year showed(it may be a term in the new contract) that the broncos will not stand in his way if regular first grade becomes an option somewhere, and he could action another loan deal.

The loan seemed odd last year but it has been good business. Arthars came back stronger and i think the working relationship with warriors helped with the walsh release.

What makes you think he's only got one or two seasons left? He looks as good as he ever has (minus the broken jaw of course).

Don't get me wrong, I've been an Oates fanatic since his debut, and was pushing his ability and usefulness to the team even when he was struggling in Q-Cup.

I just get a feeling that someone of his size is going to burn out faster and earlier than the nippier wingers. He used to be pretty fast once he wound up, he's already lost a bit of that speed. Once upon a time Oates would get the ball on the wing, and it was a 50/50 bet whether he'd get to the line with speed, or by running over the top of 3 guys.... but he'd always get it over the line. Nowadays when he gets the ball it just doesn't seem like he has the space. He'll most likely have to come back infield or die with the ball instead of getting pushed over the sideline. His record try-scoring feats last year sound contradictory to this, but if he hadn't let himself fall in to a hole, I think we would have seen those feats for the last 5 years consistently. Also, it is often reported that through his career he's been easily gassed, not surprising for someone of his size, but out on the wing it's not like he's making 40 tackles - I can't see that going anywhere but south as he gets older. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong, and steams along for another 5 or so years. But even if he doesn't he'll go down as one of my favourite ever Broncos.

Don't get me wrong, I've been an Oates fanatic since his debut, and was pushing his ability and usefulness to the team even when he was struggling in Q-Cup.

I just get a feeling that someone of his size is going to burn out faster and earlier than the nippier wingers. He used to be pretty fast once he wound up, he's already lost a bit of that speed. Once upon a time Oates would get the ball on the wing, and it was a 50/50 bet whether he'd get to the line with speed, or by running over the top of 3 guys.... but he'd always get it over the line. Nowadays when he gets the ball it just doesn't seem like he has the space. He'll most likely have to come back infield or die with the ball instead of getting pushed over the sideline. His record try-scoring feats last year sound contradictory to this, but if he hadn't let himself fall in to a hole, I think we would have seen those feats for the last 5 years consistently. Also, it is often reported that through his career he's been easily gassed, not surprising for someone of his size, but out on the wing it's not like he's making 40 tackles - I can't see that going anywhere but south as he gets older. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong, and steams along for another 5 or so years. But even if he doesn't he'll go down as one of my favourite ever Broncos.
think if he wants to prolong his career he would do well to get reps in at training in the second row couldnt hurt.

Them staph infections can **** you up pretty bad. ”let himself fall into a hole” is a tad unfair on him.

think if he wants to prolong his career he would do well to get reps in at training in the second row couldnt hurt.

Or burn him out / increase the risk of injury! Actually, I trust the Broncos to know what he needs to keep him on the field.

In years to come Oates could end up being that 17 jersey on the bench covering backs, but filling in at second row, etc. if needed.

That would be pretty cool, especially as he does slowdown as mentioned by other posters above.

The side is really building:
1. Walsh
2. Oates/Arthars
3. Staggs
4. Mariner/Cobbo
5. Cobbo/Arthars/Mariner
6. Mam
7. (Reynolds)
8. Haas (hopefully)
9. Mozer
10. Jensen/Carrigan
11. Capewell/Piakura
12. Riki
13. Carrigan/Hetherington

14. Paix
15. Hetherington/Jensen
16. Te Kura/Willison/??
17. Oates/Plath/Piakura/??

A few young 'uns coming through too which is exciting.

Active Now

• Morkel
  • BroncoFan94
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Culhwch
  • Gaz
  • Fitzy
  • Aldo
  • Financeguy
  • Galah
  • Jeza23
  • Broncs1459
  • Broncojim
  • Foordy
  • Behold
  • Horseheadsup
  • The Don
  • heartly87
  • ivanhungryjak
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.