Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

It's eating your insides that we sit at the top of the competition ladder after 16 rounds and our starting hooker is Billy Walters.
Not even a little bit, but we would be blowing sides out of the water with Hunt there. Beyond our wildest dreams.

Tough one for Kevvie:

1. Poach Hunt for 9, just for 2023. Broncos are back. Win Premiership. Coach of the Year. Job for life.​
2. Stick with son at 9. Shot at title, but lose semi. Remind everyone how far we've come. Full credit to the boys.​
No brainer to me. Be the bloodthirsty club we used to be. Can still give Billy 10 minutes in the second half. He'll understand.

Broncos are already back, baby.

Not even a little bit, but we would be blowing sides out of the water with Hunt there. Beyond our wildest dreams.

The problem is though that this theory runs on the proviso Hunt is willing to come back and play 9 which by all reports by your media friends, he doesn’t want to do.

It must be difficult for you, to believe so strongly that Billy isn’t a good 9 despite all the evidence to the contrary AND have to go against your media friends to push your agenda.

I can only imagine the conflict within you.

The problem is though that this theory runs on the proviso Hunt is willing to come back and play 9 which by all reports by your media friends, he doesn’t want to do.

It must be difficult for you, to believe so strongly that Billy isn’t a good 9 despite all the evidence to the contrary AND have to go against your media friends to push your agenda.

Sean Berrigan wasn't a 9 either and look how that worked out for him (and us) in 2006. Hunt owes us a premiership... the least he can do now is come back and help any way he can.

Come help heal old wounds and then make big money playing 7 from next year and retire rich and remembered as a 7, but also as a Broncos and Queensland legend.

Sean Berrigan wasn't a 9 either and look how that worked out for him (and us) in 2006. Hunt owes us a premiership... the least he can do now is come back and help any way he can.

Come help heal old wounds and then make big money playing 7 from next year and retire rich and remembered as a 7, but also as a Broncos and Queensland legend.
Probably could play him in a similar role to what the 14 used to play for Qld when Smith was at 9, basically just put him on the field to be that extra ball player and fill in at 9 when Billy needs a break.. Billy has been doing 60mins lately he's played 70 on occasions.

As much as I'd love Hunt to get redemption and come home, I'm definitely in the against camp. Hunt could be a silver bullet that ignites us to even better things, but he could just as easily be a handbrake or affect team chemistry in a negative way. We're leading the comp, we look solid across the park, let's just stick with what has got us this far. Heck, it even seems every player* has bottled their seething rage about the nepotistic picking of Billy at nine and come together to play great footy in spite of that, and their disdain for the coach.

Plus the Hunt thing was never going to happen anyway.

*except Cory Paix.

Too many weird attempts to insult for me to unpack there. Hunt is the world's best 9.

There's a lot of player swap options on the cards to be played out.

I think its about 20% odds hunt comes here for this season only. The reasons being:
  • We would be squeezing cap space. Unknown how pissed off Paix is, so maybe this wouldnt matter in grand scheme with juniors coming through.
  • It wouldn't be long term (unless he has some kind of reincarnation wanting to play hooker full time)
  • Roosters are offering good "external benefits".
  • Dolphins have the cap to pay him full time to play halfback. Add WB and a solid roster - this would be attractive.
  • Dogs are trying on whim and prayer of "what could be" with their squad. The money is good, not as good as his current salary.
  • Titans would be like a retirement village for his career, unless he suddenly just desires money.
  • His sell to Dogs and Roosters was wanting to have a chance of premiership and top of table success. Reports are that Titans talk is just to drive up negotiating power.

Well if the Bulldogs were smart (and yes I know this is debatable), they could consider something like this:

1. Sailor
2. Kiraz
3. Averillo
4. Crichton
5. Addo-Carr
6. Burton
7. Hunt
8. Pangai Jr
9. Mahoney
10. McLean
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Fitzgibbon

14. Sandwich
15. Pele
16. King
17. Sutton

I'll be honest, I have no idea who their forwards are but they are so light on there, I am not sure Hunt will make much difference unless they also sign some big guys. The catch-22 there is that if they sign Hunt, how do they afford the big guys and vice versa?

Then again, they are signing anyone and everyone, so maybe they should just go all in on the salary cap rorting.

Well if the Bulldogs were smart (and yes I know this is debatable), they could consider something like this:

1. Sailor
2. Kiraz
3. Averillo
4. Crichton
5. Addo-Carr
6. Burton
7. Hunt
8. Pangai Jr
9. Mahoney
10. McLean
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Fitzgibbon

14. Sandwich
15. Pele
16. King
17. Sutton

I'll be honest, I have no idea who their forwards are but they are so light on there, I am not sure Hunt will make much difference unless they also sign some big guys. The catch-22 there is that if they sign Hunt, how do they afford the big guys and vice versa?

Then again, they are signing anyone and everyone, so maybe they should just go all in on the salary cap rorting.
think they still have thompson to come back into the side too,still think tpj is wasted in the middle

There's a lot of player swap options on the cards to be played out.

I think its about 20% odds hunt comes here for this season only. The reasons being:
  • We would be squeezing cap space. Unknown how pissed off Paix is, so maybe this wouldnt matter in grand scheme with juniors coming through.
  • It wouldn't be long term (unless he has some kind of reincarnation wanting to play hooker full time)
  • Roosters are offering good "external benefits".
  • Dolphins have the cap to pay him full time to play halfback. Add WB and a solid roster - this would be attractive.
  • Dogs are trying on whim and prayer of "what could be" with their squad. The money is good, not as good as his current salary.
  • Titans would be like a retirement village for his career, unless he suddenly just desires money.
  • His sell to Dogs and Roosters was wanting to have a chance of premiership and top of table success. Reports are that Titans talk is just to drive up negotiating power.
The obvious attraction of Hunt playing out the season for us, other than being the final part of the jigsaw we're missing, is at the very worst he would be able to cover Reynolds in a realistic way. Our season is screwed if we lose either half otherwise.

I can see a lot of you believe Billy has been born again this season - and to some extent I agree - but he's so far behind Hunt they're not in the same conversation. And as for covering a half position, please God no.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.