Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

We've had a heap of "this guy is the big unit we've been needing" over the last 10 years. The best of which was Blair (until the NRL neutered him out of the game), the next best was Lodge. You could argue Taupau would be next in line in terms of value vs price.

There have been heaps that were signed with big hopes that most will have forgotten:
* Lama Tasi (Roosters), looked good rolling with Roosters pack, had him for half a year.
* Martin Kennedy (Roosters) big unit (120kg?) got the Roosters "failed test" retirement, then done for smuggling snakes????
* Mitch Garbutt (Melbourne), I refer to him as Garbage Butt.
* James Gavet (Tigers), I think he was the one that did his knee in his first game for us and that was it.
* Korbin Sims (Knights), did pretty good in his first year and was cheap, but fizzled out quick

There are probably more that even I have forgotten.

Edit, and that's not even including the plodders that were never expected to do much, and definitely lived up to that expectation, like Shane Tronc, Scott Anderson etc.

We've had a heap of "this guy is the big unit we've been needing" over the last 10 years. The best of which was Blair (until the NRL neutered him out of the game), the next best was Lodge. You could argue Taupau would be next in line in terms of value vs price.

There have been heaps that were signed with big hopes that most will have forgotten:
* Lama Tasi (Roosters), looked good rolling with Roosters pack, had him for half a year.
* Martin Kennedy (Roosters) big unit (120kg?) got the Roosters "failed test" retirement, then done for smuggling snakes????
* James Gavet (Tigers), I think he was the one that did his knee in his first game for us and that was it.
* Korbin Sims (Knights), did pretty good in his first year and was cheap, but fizzled out quick

Edit, and that's not even including the plodders that were never expected to do much, and definitely lived up to that expectation, like Shane Tronc, Scott Anderson etc.

Kennedy didn't fail a test he just got banned for two years by ASADA for attempting to use performance enhancing drugs. Then got another nine months on top for deleting his phone when ASADA said give it to us.

Then he spent two years in jail for exporting exotic animals to Sweden.

Remember that year Nick Kenny was our best prop?
Yeah we spent a fortune on Joel Clinton(to this day I still don't understand why, by then he was well past his prime) but he was owned by the poster child of what the most barebones average prop forward could be.

I loved Nick Kenny. Good honest player didn't let you down
I do too and you need players like that in your team because it provides better balance across the board. It's why I love a player like Jesse Arthars, safe as a bank especially under the high ball and less prone to the mistakes that players like Cobbo and Staggs are. But still capable of finishing tries.

If my memory serves me well, Nick Kenny was actually a smoky for Kangaroos selection at one point.

There was a season there where he was doing very well for us. No glitz, no glamour, just a lot of bloody hard work.

If my memory serves me well, Nick Kenny was actually a smoky for Kangaroos selection at one point.

There was a season there where he was doing very well for us. No glitz, no glamour, just a lot of bloody hard work.

I've made no secret of my respect for Nick Kenny. IIRC it was between him and Matt Scott weho was just starting to come in to his own. Kenny realised he could make just as much being a physio I think.

I've made no secret of my respect for Nick Kenny. IIRC it was between him and Matt Scott weho was just starting to come in to his own. Kenny realised he could make just as much being a physio I think.

I think he was picking up a lot of injuries, so ended up retiring earlier than usual, and as you said, fell back on his physiotherapist qualifications.

Kennedy didn't fail a test he just got banned for two years by ASADA for attempting to use performance enhancing drugs. Then got another nine months on top for deleting his phone when ASADA said give it to us.

Then he spent two years in jail for exporting exotic animals to Sweden.

Banned for attempting? So someone else got caught and they were able to get a list of contacts? Or the authorities just happened to know when and where to be to intercept a transaction / exchange? You may be cynical and think that I am trying to suggest that somehow the Roosters were instrumental in getting him off their books, in which case, let me assure you, you are completely correct.

Banned for attempting? So someone else got caught and they were able to get a list of contacts? Or the authorities just happened to know when and where to be to intercept a transaction / exchange? You may be cynical and think that I am trying to suggest that somehow the Roosters were instrumental in getting him off their books, in which case, let me assure you, you are completely correct.

He was framed. Innocent people delete everything off their phone when ASADA ask for it and then go into exporting turtles because that's clearly the next step of an innocent intelligent person.

High Court judge Ian Callinan, was comfortably satisfied Kennedy ordered each of the substances, paid for them, before chasing up the delivery of the substances.

Kennedy became increasing concerned when the drugs were not delivered on time, meaning he had less time to use the substances - bought so he could "increase his size and strength" in the lead-up to the 2013 season.

"Just checking for the fifth time today if that package that I know nothing about is here?"

"No Mr Kennedy not here yet."

Squeaky clean, model citizen that accidentally pays for imported performance enhancing drugs and waits for delivery, but it wasn't him.

#freemarty

Yeah we spent a fortune on Joel Clinton(to this day I still don't understand why, by then he was well past his prime) but he was owned by the poster child of what the most barebones average prop forward could be.
It was a Wayne Bennett spite signing like Jack Bird. For all he was worth, **** he could sign a spud like the best of them.

Media at it's best.

Greg Eden was once the next Billy Slater.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • mitch222
  • Ondi
  • Culhwch
  • Jazza
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • azza.79
  • Dash
  • RolledOates
  • Santa
  • Sproj
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Brocko
  • Mr Fourex
  • The Strapper
  • kman
  • Morkel
  • Justwin
  • Socnorb
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.