Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

Lol... hasn't it already been 'reported' that Oates turned down his PO to take a pay cut??

Are they now switching over to Oates now wanting more money than his PO... so he'll head off to Newy and restart his media career

He's happy to take a bit of a hit to stay here, but the current offer is a bit disrespectful imo.

He's happy to take a bit of a hit to stay here, but the current offer is a bit disrespectful imo.
I daresay this latest 'rumour' was his manager 'leaking' to Read to bring broncos back to the table. A deal will probably be sorted out in a couple weeks now if they're already talking

Manager: "Broncos low balled us hey... well you know what we're going to [checks notes] Newcastle.. for let's say 100k more than you're currently offering"

DD: "Fine how about we add $75k and an extra year"

Read: "Things change bro..."

All due respect to Oates, we all love him here, but.. he is closer to the end of his career, he's certainly no Dominic Young. He will make good metres, make the tough carries and consistently finish in the corners, he's not the tear away he used to be.

My point is, I can't see him getting some sort of a lucrative pay day.

All due respect to Oates, we all love him here, but.. he is closer to the end of his career, he's certainly no Dominic Young. He will make good metres, make the tough carries and consistently finish in the corners, he's not the tear away he used to be.

My point is, I can't see him getting some sort of a lucrative pay day.
I reckon the Wayne and the Dolphins would love to have Oatesy

I reckon the Wayne and the Dolphins would love to have Oatesy

Absolutely. They have no left winger and Oatesy is available. I hope he is a Bronco for life but he would be incredibly appealing for The. Given Herbie is going to be there as well, you have the Broncs very potent left wing-centre combo to just plug and play.

Absolutely. They have no left winger and Oatesy is available. I hope he is a Bronco for life but he would be incredibly appealing for The. Given Herbie is going to be there as well, you have the Broncs very potent left wing-centre combo to just plug and play.

I’m sure Oates would like some more tries before his career is over though …

100% that has been such a change this year. Imagine being a defender and Walsh or someone makes a break and you are trying to decide which way to go but then guys like Mam and Herbie are either side with Reyno lurking. ****. That.
Exactly this. Well except for the Herbie part…Who is this Herbie you speak of? I look at the team I don’t see the Herbies and Toms….

Not sure Oates would be as excited by being outside Herbie again though lol.,that being said, wasn’t part of. Herbie leaving meant to be a shot at fullback and right centre?

The scary thing about Walsh is that his biggest asset is his lightning speed but he is just scratching the surface of his technical abilities. The kid already has freaky passing and kicking abilities. 3 or 4 seasons developing those and he really could have one the better passing and kicking games in the comp.

His 40/20 last week was so effortless at first I thought it was just a 20 odd metre touch finder
Lots of people say he reminds them of Billy but in my opinion he reminds me of a young Darren Lockyer. Darren came into the side a very quick but talented fullback who had a great support game, quality pass/ball skills and kicking game. No fullback of his error had the skill set he had. Don't get me wrong there were elite fullbacks like Mullins and Brasher but these guys didn't have his long kick or 5/8 level ball skills. As the years went on he got better and better the rest is history. Billy could never have transitioned to a 5/8 roll, where Walsh I believe could as Darren did. He will be just as important I believe as Darren was to our club.

Lots of people say he reminds them of Billy but in my opinion he reminds me of a young Darren Lockyer. Darren came into the side a very quick but talented fullback who had a great support game, quality pass/ball skills and kicking game. No fullback of his error had the skill set he had. Don't get me wrong there were elite fullbacks like Mullins and Brasher but these guys didn't have his long kick or 5/8 level ball skills. As the years went on he got better and better the rest is history. Billy could never have transitioned to a 5/8 roll, where Walsh I believe could as Darren did. He will be just as important I believe as Darren was to our club.
Yeah Walsh has a lot of similarities to Slater but he’s in the Ponga camp of being a play maker fullback with a great running game. They’re almost the same as the other category of Hayne/Mitchell/Inglis except these guys were far more physical.

Workhorse:
Tedesco, RTS, Edwards

Quick/illusive:
Barba, Hamiso, Slater, Stewart

Reliable:
Boyd, CNK, Hoffman, Brimson, Dugan, Coote

Illusive play maker:
Walsh, Drinkwater, Ponga, Lockyer, Raiders’ Milford

Physical play maker:
Hayne, Mitchell

Physical:
Inglis, Trbo

Shit, now Huge isn't around I am slipping big time on my spelling. Have to give my self an uppercut for "era". Been away to long with the the baby and have to remember that I have to slow down when I have these thought explosions.

I daresay this latest 'rumour' was his manager 'leaking' to Read to bring broncos back to the table. A deal will probably be sorted out in a couple weeks now if they're already talking

Manager: "Broncos low balled us hey... well you know what we're going to [checks notes] Newcastle.. for let's say 100k more than you're currently offering"

DD: "Fine how about we add $75k and an extra year"

Read: "Things change bro..."
None of it makes sense. He's only going to make slightly more somewhere else and excluding the Titans and Dolphins would have to up and move his young family. So what, he's going to get a free house with his $100k more a year contract with the knights??

None of it makes sense. He's only going to make slightly more somewhere else and excluding the Titans and Dolphins would have to up and move his young family. So what, he's going to get a free house with his $100k more a year contract with the knights??
I have complete respect for Oates and think he's a great player, that I don't want to lose for sure. But he's not a player we must fight too much to keep, if Oates wants his pay day then let him seek it somewhere else. We have higher priorities in both Mam and Walsh that need our direction attention asap.

Brad Schneider is looking at signing for Penrith, I really think we should sign him

Yeah Walsh has a lot of similarities to Slater but he’s in the Ponga camp of being a play maker fullback with a great running game. They’re almost the same as the other category of Hayne/Mitchell/Inglis except these guys were far more physical.

Workhorse:
Tedesco, RTS, Edwards

Quick/illusive:

Reliable:

Illusive play maker:

Physical play maker:
Hayne, Mitchell

Physical:
Inglis, Trbo
While I agree that some of those fullbacks may have been "magicians" but I imagine their skills to be more elusive than illusory.
Magic Vanish GIF by VPRO

Workhorse:
Tedesco, RTS, Edwards

Quick/illusive:

Reliable:

Illusive play maker:

Physical play maker:
Hayne, Mitchell

Physical:
Inglis, Trbo
I'd probably put Walsh in a similar category to Matty Bowen

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.