Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

While I agree that some of those fullbacks may have been "magicians" but I imagine their skills to be more elusive than illusory.
Magic Vanish GIF by VPRO
I stand by what I said

I'd probably put Walsh in a similar category to Matty Bowen

In terms of running game, they are similar - that electric agility and elusive ability to leave defenders grasping at thin air.

I think Walsh will be miles ahead of Bowen in terms of ball-playing ability and kicking as his career progresses.

Still, would've loved to have Matty Bowen in our team. How good was he to watch! A true entertainer.

All due respect to Oates, we all love him here, but.. he is closer to the end of his career, he's certainly no Dominic Young. He will make good metres, make the tough carries and consistently finish in the corners, he's not the tear away he used to be.

My point is, I can't see him getting some sort of a lucrative pay day.
Sad for Oatesy. His injuries this season have ruined any chance he had of proving his value.

As a fan I love Corey, as a business man I just can't see his value anymore.
He should have won player of the year last year, and earned his spot back in the QLD side.

I think it will be an error from the club and Oates if they don't make a deal. Pretty sure Oates already has a bunch of 3rd party deals in Brisbane, including a radio gig, and should be looking to take slight unders to stay at Brisbane with the likely job with the club after footy. And Brisbane should be coming to the table to at least compete with offers from other clubs to make sure he is retained.

He should have won player of the year last year, and earned his spot back in the QLD side.

I think it will be an error from the club and Oates if they don't make a deal. Pretty sure Oates already has a bunch of 3rd party deals in Brisbane, including a radio gig, and should be looking to take slight unders to stay at Brisbane with the likely job with the club after footy. And Brisbane should be coming to the table to at least compete with offers from other clubs to make sure he is retained.

All of those things The can accommodate and offer him more money.

All of those things The can accommodate and offer him more money.
I'd imagine Redcliffe could be a legit threat to get him. Moving down to Newcastle would be strange, especially for only slightly more. Although the golf courses down there are great.

We haven’t missed a beat without him this year 400k spare can be the difference between keeping some of these players. As much as I love him you have Mariner and Arthars their if you prioritise your winger who is a year or two away from probably having to retire over future just for sentimental reasoning would be a big mistake. Some tough decisions will need to be made and I’d rather in 2 years keep someone we want to keep rather than in 2 years having lost a valuable player to keep Corey and then Corey retired and we are missing 2 of them.

If hypothetically Oates was to go and Mariner is our left centre. I would be talking to Xavier Savage.

Seems out of favour at Raiders, Mariner has blistering speed and if he makes a break his winger needs to be able to keep up. Herbie already outpaces Oates when he makes a break, Mariner will be a lot quicker.

Someone else will offer him more, but we should be a really attractive destination for these kind of guys now.

Or we just stick with Leota, he's quick.

In terms of running game, they are similar - that electric agility and elusive ability to leave defenders grasping at thin air.

I think Walsh will be miles ahead of Bowen in terms of ball-playing ability and kicking as his career progresses.

Still, would've loved to have Matty Bowen in our team. How good was he to watch! A true entertainer.
I think mam and Bowen have very similar games.

We haven’t missed a beat without him this year 400k spare can be the difference between keeping some of these players. As much as I love him you have Mariner and Arthars their if you prioritise your winger who is a year or two away from probably having to retire over future just for sentimental reasoning would be a big mistake. Some tough decisions will need to be made and I’d rather in 2 years keep someone we want to keep rather than in 2 years having lost a valuable player to keep Corey and then Corey retired and we are missing 2 of them.
It's not saving 400k though, you still need to replace him. And you're talking about Oates like he is 33, he is 28 and only 3yrs older than Arthars. People have memories like gold fish, Oates was our best player last year, and was good this year when on the field. Wait for Arthars to have a shit game, and you'll be crying about losing Oates to keep him.

I think because the teams going so well this season and Arthur's and Mariner have done the job in his place people forget how good Oatesy is for us.
Think he got BHQ player of the match or close too in some of his games this season.

I don't think people are forgetting how good Oates is, people are just understandably thinking about the salary cap.

Remember, Haas has gone up AT LEAST 200k a year. Mam will likely go up 500k a year and then there is Walsh who will likely go up AT LEAST 700k a year.

Now Flegler, Palasia and Farnworth leaving will help to alleviate a lot of that increase but not all of it. Mariner will also have upgraded and Riki, Willison, Mozer + Piakura likely will over the next couple of years too. If Capewell stays, likely he and Reynolds will take downgrades but even so, there is still likely a 2-300k short fall and that has to come from somewhere.

Now IF one of Capewell, Oates, Riki or Piakura will possibly have to go to keep the out and out guns, which one is most expendable even though we really, really, really want to keep them all?

I don't think people are forgetting how good Oates is, people are just understandably thinking about the salary cap.

Remember, Haas has gone up AT LEAST 200k a year. Mam will likely go up 500k a year and then there is Walsh who will likely go up AT LEAST 700k a year.

Now Flegler, Palasia and Farnworth leaving will help to alleviate a lot of that increase but not all of it. Mariner will also have upgraded and Riki, Willison, Mozer + Piakura likely will over the next couple of years too. If Capewell stays, likely he and Reynolds will take downgrades but even so, there is still likely a 2-300k short fall and that has to come from somewhere.

Now IF one of Capewell, Oates, Riki or Piakura will possibly have to go to keep the out and out guns, which one is most expendable even though we really, really, really want to keep them all?

We need to keep Riki. His kick pressure is game changing.
Capewell has not been amazing on the field but apparently great leader.
Piakura is up and coming.

Oates is unfortunately the easiest to replace, although he is right up there with my favourite players.

I do think, there needs to be some reflection by his manager that he got paid a lot when his form did not warrant it, and he probably owes the club as much as it owes him.

It's not saving 400k though, you still need to replace him. And you're talking about Oates like he is 33, he is 28 and only 3yrs older than Arthars. People have memories like gold fish, Oates was our best player last year, and was good this year when on the field. Wait for Arthars to have a shit game, and you'll be crying about losing Oates to keep him.
The bloke moves like he just had a hip replacement at 70 years old. How many wingers excel after 30? How many wingers excel after 30 with very little speed, injury problems and declining athleticism? Not many. Plus the longer he goes on the less and less likely he is to snag a media gig his odds of getting one over the last few years have gotten longer and longer by the minute. Still is a handy player don’t get me wrong but a couple of effective years at best is not worth losing yourself a Staggs, a Cobbo or a Piakura because it’s going to be one of them we lose if we don’t grow a set and make a tough call that expands upon sentimental reasoning.

I CBF digging up the stats but remember when he came back against the Sharks and waltzed like 220m or something. A bad year of injuries but we should find the room somehow.

He’s fishing though. Even with these good performances, he knows that his value has depleted a bit because he’s a bit unco and held together by duct tape.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.