Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

I don't understand your point. It blew up on Reddit. There is nothing to suggest the media found about it from here. As much as we like to imagine how influential we are.

Blame me. I sent it just before midnight to one the the Journos that published it the very next morning.

Blame me. I sent it just before midnight to one the the Journos that published it the very next morning.
Bloody NSWRL plant.... you've just blown your cover

fox broadcasting hiding GIF by The Last Man On Earth

Apparently the latest reports are the Raiders are out of contention for David Fiftia. And it will be between the Titans and the Broncos. The reports suggests Broncos are not going passively for Fifita but are going hard. Apparently they wanted Fifita back for a while but kept it quiet. It was suggested in the Courier Mail that Fifita manager was fishing for intrest from the Broncos and not vice versa.

I swear someone last year randomly asked if we would consider giving up player X to get Fifita back. Might have been Riki?

The people saying he was "easily in the top 5 backrowers in the comp" didn't watch the rest of the comp.

He wasn't even close to being in the top 5. Maybe in 2021, but in 2022 he was wildly inconsistent and at times looked very much out of shape. He was lazy and went missing a lot when the Titans needed him. He had some good moments, but there was more bad than good.

Nanai, Koloamatangi, Kikau, Papali'i, Lane, Olakau'atu, Crichton and several others had better seasons than him.
He wasn't even the best backrower in his own team

Out of that conversation though, and they brushed over it pretty quick, was that if we signed him he might be gettable early and to be honest, that actually does make sense. We can swap Palasia for Fifita and assume significant discussions about cap implications for this year for such a deal as it wouldn’t be a straight swap as only the Roosters get away with stuff like that. Would be great to have Fifita this year.
I'd give it zero chance of happening now... Titans have just confirmed that Fermor has done his ACL, so they aren't going to give up Fifita on the back of losing Fermor.

Could also see them make a bigger push to retain Fifita with Fermor now rehabbing for the next 12 months and then unknowns about how he might return when he's fit again.

Fifita may not be inherently lazy. But he was essentially given permission by the Titans to take it easy.

Comfortable football. $1.2 million wasn't enough to get him over the line, he was also sold on being able to play his natural game, just hang around doing **** all until everyone gets tired, and then make that run between the half and the centre to score the Barnstorming Solo Try. Every 4 or 5 games, or at least when playing bottom 6 sides.

I don't blame it on the fact he had no one to work off, I blame it on the fact that he wasn't expected to put in the work himself. Just cruise out in the centres or on the wing so as to not get uncomfortable.

The approach to the Broncos was surely his manager trying to get a little more out of the Titans. It worked last time (beyond expectations) so why not try again? An extra $50k - $100k to keep him from going back to the Broncos, which would be a big factor because if he did come back at a more modest price it would 100% confirm that their whole Fifita experiment was an abject failure.

Apparently the latest reports are the Raiders are out of contention for David Fiftia. And it will be between the Titans and the Broncos. The reports suggests Broncos are not going passively for Fifita but are going hard. Apparently they wanted Fifita back for a while but kept it quiet. It was suggested in the Courier Mail that Fifita manager was fishing for intrest from the Broncos and not vice versa.

The media have to make out we are going hard at Fifita, because that will then fuel their we are cheating the cap narrative

Let's say we could make it work for a swap for Palasia this year and I don't know how that happens but let's say it works, surely this has to be a contender:

1. Walsh
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Farnworth
5. Cobbo
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Haas
9. Walters
10. Carrigan
11. Fifita
12. Riki
13. Capewell

14. Paix
15. Taupau/Jensen
16. Flegler
17. Hetherington/Piakura I guess until Hetherington is fit

As much as I love Flegs, in the event we got Fifita early, I'd be dropping him and keeping Jensen in the side

I'd give it zero chance of happening now... Titans have just confirmed that Fermor has done his ACL, so they aren't going to give up Fifita on the back of losing Fermor.

Could also see them make a bigger push to retain Fifita with Fermor now rehabbing for the next 12 months and then unknowns about how he might return when he's fit again.

Yeah I saw that must be devastating for Beau Fermor. Whatever team you support nobody would wish that on anyone. Your right in the sense that there is probably zero chance from the Titans with an early release of David Fifita. But then again there was never any proof the Titans were considering that option anyway. Despite a vague floating of the idea from Paul Kent.

I'm not sure I agree with breaking the bank on Fifita though. The Titans have been burnt before with Ash Taylor, Jarryd Hayne, and to some extent currently Fifita. I think they would have pause on getting into a bidding war with the Broncos. I'm starting to think the Broncos may have the upper hand. Its going to be hard to convince Fifita to re-up with the Titans. If he's seriously contemplating whether its the best way forward for his career.

Kenan can play back row apparently too. Whether he’s a 80min prospect is a different topic though. We could ship him right away if the need be.
John Lewis Lol GIF by Waitrose & Partners

Yeah I saw that must be devastating for Beau Fermor. Whatever team you support nobody would wish that on anyone. Your right in the sense that there is probably zero chance from the Titans with an early release of David Fifita. But then again there was never any proof the Titans were considering that option anyway. Despite a vague floating of the idea from Paul Kent.

I'm not sure I agree with breaking the bank on Fifita though. The Titans have been burnt before with Ash Taylor, Jarryd Hayne, and to some extent currently Fifita. I think they would have pause on getting into a bidding war with the Broncos. I'm starting to think the Broncos may have the upper hand. Its going to be hard to convince Fifita to re-up with the Titans. If he's seriously contemplating whether its the best way forward for his career.
I think the possible bidding war comes down to the integrity of the titans.

They could see the opportunity to retain Fifita as an opportunity to save face and getting one up on the Broncos.... but that would be a tigers mentality and could set them back for ages.

They should be looking at his retention and possible price tag based on the football needs....

Do they absolutely need Fifita?? Probably not

Do they have juniors coming through that could fill the spot or would they need to go to market?? I dont know

Is the money better spent elsewhere for their roster?? Maybe

If they need Fifita's signature for football related reasons then he becomes a priority re-signing... if it's just to get one over the Broncos at all costs (like it was in 2020) then they'll hurt themselves in the long run.

If they dont need him for football reasons then they may need to accept their losses and put it down to a mistake back in 2020... that's a big ask in a competition where media scrutiny can be harsh... are they willing to admit publicly they made a mistake and let him walk.

He's very respectable has an excellent track record. It was taken out of his hand by the editor. It was going to come out anyway.
Seeing it happened months ago I wouldn't be so sure that it was coming out away. Seems pretty weird to help the media derail your club but each to their own I guess.

It actually wasn't.
Indeed.

@Morepudding posted it here at 22:26 AEST, on 7 January.

It was posted on r/nrl at 13:40 UTC on 7 January - 13:40 UTC is 23:40 AEST.

Ergo, it was posted on Reddit one hour and 14 minutes after it was posted on BHQ.
Doesn't make any difference to my point. It got traction from the Reddit thread. Also, the source was Youtube. No opinion was necessary.

I see Reddit, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram commonly cited in the media as sources. Yet to see "the fans" at BHQ quoted. I remember back in the day Debbie Spillane used to openly hang out on ASRL and routinely quote "the fans" from Usenet. There's no reason for Badel not to cite us other than he doesn't consider us a worthy source. So the feeling is mutual apparently.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Organix
  • bb_gun
  • BruiserMk1
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.