Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

It's fun to think it's someone's job at Broncos actual HQ to scan the dribble on here for an actual piece of solid advice (which there likely is) after each game.

But, damn it, Pete, why won't you give the guys here that one little piece of credit?

At least let us think it was a BHQ exclusive. Did they credit reddit?

I know the Courier mail journos read fan forums. I know people at the club do as well. Its not exactly a secret that they would.

I agree with Andrew Johns:

"The first one for the Broncos - obviously Adam Reynolds is coming to the end - if they didn't have the best 18-year-old halfback in the system, I'd go and buy the best halfback. Look everywhere, look in rugby union, they might be in New Zealand, England, or somewhere else. Go and find the best young halfback and educate him up, let Adam Reynolds educate him."​
"Reece Walsh is their No.1. I'm a huge fan of Selwyn Cobbo, he's only going to get better and better if he puts his mind to it, so they've got great depth there. Selwyn can play as a winger... he can play in the centres. Some teams get in trouble by not putting the marquee players in those positions. It's not David Fifita's problem that he's on that huge money, but if he was to go back to Brisbane, I think that the highest-paid backrower should be on around $700-750,000."​
"Firstly the halfback or the fullback have to be the highest-paid. Next for me is the dummy-half, which is also one of the most important positions, and then one front rower and an explosive backrower. Outside wingers now are so important, you've got to have one really top-line winger."​

think gould mentioned last night that with a couple of years playing with reno he thinks mam is capable of running this side from 7

Based on absolutely nothing. He has shown he can run and tackle quite well. There is absolutely nothing else that could say Mam is a halfback that could run a team yet.
think that is where the couple of years comes in i dont think he was saying he is capable right now.

Based on absolutely nothing. He has shown he can run and tackle quite well. There is absolutely nothing else that could say Mam is a halfback that could run a team yet
I see Reece Walsh being closer to our Reynolds replacement than Mam.

Reece looks to have a natural long kicking game compared to Mam... who looks to have more of a cookie cutter general kick to the corner type game.

His off the cuff kick last night was great, but can he drill the 40m grubbers to inside the 10m line like Reynolds was doing last night. Will his kicks to the corner land 2-5m out from the goal line instead of 15m out.... because that's what's needed in the current game to control field position and mange the game out.

To me Reece's only real issue could be his size... he has the running game, support play, passing game, a natural long kick, communication, leadership and want for the ball.

His game awareness was slightly off in the trials with a ridiculous grubber to no one on second tackle, but hopefully that will improve as he adjusts to fitting into a system rather than being the number one man and having to create everything.

it’s all well and good to say that the club should go out and spend a mil+ on a half back, but who is the halfback we should target? There are very few in the comp who would provide us with much more than Madden and all of them will be locked up. Poaching from Union is fraught with danger. Joey is just poisoning the well so that when/ if we sign fifi he can rip into the club.

EDIT: there will be other ways to afford a halfback if we need one in 2-3 years. Would a club like the rorters pass up on a player like fifi because they’re saving 1.5 mil just in case they need a player in 2-3 years time?

Payne Haas was asked about a potential David Fifita return. He handled his comments with class. He said he would love to have Fifita back but won't be using his friendship to lobby him back to the Broncos. The article also said Kevin Walters has been in contact with Fifita. And the club would only entertain his return on a reduced rate. But that's not rocket science no club would entertain offering him 1.2 million again on his market value.

"I don't want to be that mate who tells him what to do, he's old enough to make his own decisions," Haas said.

"We'd love to have a player like him back.

"But at the end of the day it's his decision.

"He's one of a kind player and I can't speak highly enough of him, he's one of my best mates.

"You can't leave someone like David Fifita out of your team.

"I'd love to play with Dave again, like I said we won't be here telling him what to do."

Due to lack of rumours, I'm starting a whisper that Jesse Arthars will get extended. I'm not so confident about Pereira or Quai-Ward.

In all the chatter about the amount we'll have in our piggy bank after losing Farnworth, Flegler and Robati has anyone heard even a peep about Palasia?

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Totally Unr3al
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Old Mate
  • GCBRONCO
  • Wolfie
  • Lurker
  • blacknwhite
  • Ozired
  • Johnny92
  • thenry
  • Organix
  • TimWhatley
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncorob
  • Fitzy
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.