Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2024

No I'm not being sarcastic or trying to be funny. Billy Walters isn't a consistent quality dummyhalf and I believe he's a weak link in the chain. He had maybe 5 or 6 good games all year and when he come back on in the grandfinal, he was a big part of the reason we went down hill.

He came back on after Panthers had already started their comeback.

He wasn't a big part on why we lost.

Billy hasn't earned anything, 2024 is a brand new year and hadn't done anything yet to say he should be in the 17. Unless Billy out trains and out plays the others, he shouldn't be given a spot.

Billy hasn't earned anything, 2024 is a brand new year and hadn't done anything yet to say he should be in the 17. Unless Billy out trains and out plays the others, he shouldn't be given a spot.
Okay let's drop Haas, Carrigan and Walsh also because it's 2024. What a fucking dumb way of looking at things

Billy Walters played his way into the team because he was the only player that Kevin had to play. 2024 all our players get a fresh start and another full preseason. I wouldn't give Billy a spot in the 17 unless he has truely earned it. I would give the spots to the 2 best trainers and the 2 best players out of all 4 in the preseason trials.
Off the back of last year Billy has earnt his spot and deserves to start and or get the first crack.

However, if I were to be meticulous/nit-picky, as one should be when striving for continuous improvement at the pinnacle of rugba league football, I believe we still can do better than Billy.

And no, we don’t have to go out and get harry grant. I think potentially we already have them at the club with Smoothy and Mozer. Mozer was still raw in 2023 so I understand him not cracking the side this year. But in 2024 I think he could be a genuine option off the bench.

I don't think anyone who played in the Grand Final deserves to be dropped, bearing in mind these same players got us there. That includes Tyson Smoothy, who will inevitably lose his place to Blake Mozer.

The only exception possibly being Jesse Arthars, who will need to battle with Oates and Mariner on that side of the field. But that's only because Oates was coming back from injury and that wing still has his name on it. Herbie's spot is up from grabs, but if it doesn't got to Cobbo, I reckon it's Mariner's.

That's still harsh on Jesse. He was one of our best.

He came back on after Panthers had already started their comeback.

He wasn't a big part on why we lost.
He wasn't, but he didn't bring anything either. Someone had to. Some "spark" would've helped.

I'm not blaming Reynolds for losing the match, but I think it's fair to say we needed him to win it for us and he didn't.

I don't think anyone who played in the Grand Final deserves to be dropped, bearing in mind these same players got us there. That includes Tyson Smoothy, who will inevitably lose his place to Blake Mozer.

The only exception possibly being Jesse Arthars, who will need to battle with Oates and Mariner on that side of the field. But that's only because Oates was coming back from injury and that wing still has his name on it. Herbie's spot is up from grabs, but if it doesn't got to Cobbo, I reckon it's Mariner's.

That's still harsh on Jesse. He was one of our best.
No way arthurs isn't in the team. He was our 2nd or 3rd best on grand final day.

On a different note, if mariner makes the team ahead of Oates fuvk we must have the quickest team in the nrl. Arey, Waters and smoothy aren't quick, and they aren't slow either though, but every other player is at least a little quick for their position, and some are lightning (Walsh, mam, mariner, cobbo, haas for a prop, piakura and riki for 2nd rowers). Fastest team I've seen for years with us.

No way arthurs isn't in the team. He was our 2nd or 3rd best on grand final day.

On a different note, if mariner makes the team ahead of Oates fuvk we must have the quickest team in the nrl. Arey, Waters and smoothy aren't quick, and they aren't slow either though, but every other player is at least a little quick for their position, and some are lightning (Walsh, mam, mariner, cobbo, haas for a prop, piakura and riki for 2nd rowers). Fastest team I've seen for years with us.
He was, and Palasia and Flegler were great too.

On that note, I wouldn't be dropping Jesse either, but I think he is one of the few who should expect to fight for his place in the trials.

Brah the potential edge of Arthars, Mariner, Piakura and Mam could be so dangerous.

Also if Willison improves on last year who knows what he will produce… exciting stuff

He was, and Palasia and Flegler were great too.

On that note, I wouldn't be dropping Jesse either, but I think he is one of the few who should expect to fight for his place in the trials.
I would love nothing more for Oates to return and kill it. But unfortunately he’s only getting older and his lack of lateral mobility is just such a worry for me (mainly in defence).

Other than Oates the only other wingers we have is leota and pereira so think as it stands Jesse will keep that spot.

I would love nothing more for Oates to return and kill it. But unfortunately he’s only getting older and his lack of lateral mobility is just such a worry for me (mainly in defence).

Other than Oates the only other wingers we have is leota and pereira so think as it stands Jesse will keep that spot.
No idea, but if Jesse can keep the wing over Oates trying to make another comeback and playing for another year, I guess he's earned it.

Dont get all the angst about Capewell, hes on the decline. Last thing we'd want is for him to hang around too long like Boyd and Thaiday

Dont get all the angst about Capewell, hes on the decline. Last thing we'd want is for him to hang around too long like Boyd and Thaiday
The angst for me is that we literally only have two second rowers on the books and Capewell, who was on the books for 2024, would've been great depth at absolute worst.

We now have no depth if either Riki or Piakura get injured.

He might be on the decline, but we were potentially not signing him beyond 2024 and he would still be more than serviceable if needed next year.

We now need to find someone to be at least depth level second row for us... Warriors loaning us a second rower in exchange would've been nice

You can't coach speed! ;)

You're off your head.

I think with these type of players, it's the little things that don't appear in the stats or end up in the highlight reel that we'll end up missing. 1 moment that stands out to me was when he gave Walsh an earful for letting in a soft try on the line, because we wasn't focused on the man in front of him. We had the game won at that point, but it's standards like this (playing the 80min) which need to be driven into these young kids.*

He was also pretty useful in attack. Ran some great lines, passed well and could even kick when needed. Not to mention he was probably just as good as a centre or middle forward.

I hope Piakura kills it.

People are probably just nervous from the last time we let experienced players go for "the next big thing".

*watched that grand final try again (made me sick), and Walsh not moving across (looked like he was just tired at the end of the game) helped create that gap for Cleary.

The angst for me is that we literally only have two second rowers on the books and Capewell, who was on the books for 2024, would've been great depth at absolute worst.

He might be on the decline, but we were potentially not signing him beyond 2024 and he would still be more than serviceable if needed next year.

We now need to find someone to be at least depth level second row for us... Warriors loaning us a second rower in exchange would've been nice
both Fletcher and Hunt are backrowers from juniors. I think Kev will adjust pre season to accomodate losing Capewell. TBH I doubt Kev would have let him move if he didnt't have a plan

both Fletcher and Hunt are backrowers from juniors. I think Kev will adjust pre season to accomodate losing Capewell. TBH I doubt Kev would have let him move if he didnt't have a plan
I suspect fletcher is as much of a back rower as Palasia, Taupau or Oates were “back rowers”. From what I’ve seen he seems to have pretty much transitioned completely to the front row. I don’t know much about this Jaiyden guy but the best case scenario is he turns out to be some kind of hosking player that comes out of no where (which I doubt, for no good reason other than I haven’t seen jack shit of him so I could be wrong)

You make a good point here, It makes me think we have something in the works. Surely DD, Scalan, Walters and etc aren’t just expecting carrigan to play second row again if everything goes to shit. Surely they have a plan?

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • something
  • Bucking Beads
  • Ondi
  • davidp
  • BruiserMk1
  • Midean
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Santa
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Wolfie
  • Financeguy
  • broncs30
  • Culhwch
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.