Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2024

I think Cobbos running style and the giant smile on his face gives people the impression hes not moving. Very deceiving. There was only a couple of things he could have done different, but that tackle was brilliance.

We saw what happened to Teddy on the weekend with bad technique .
Dearden was text book .
Dearden actually backed off a bit to keep Selwyn on the outside and stop him coming back inside . Steve Mortimer the master of cover defence would be proud of that tackle .

On the Dearden tackle on Selwyn, GPS data showed Dearden reached a top speed of 34.03km/ph.

Cobbo’s top speed in the NRL to date is 34.8 which was in Magic Round in ‘22.

When you consider that Dearden had a head start and was running before Cobbo was, it’s not so unbelievable that Dearden caught him. He took the right angle and focused on taking him out in the corner rather than trying to get him earlier. If you look at it Dearden was ahead of Cobbo for a chunk of that chase.

So I think this Cobbo bashing over it is a tad ridiculous. Dearden is super fucking quick.
By way of comparison, here are the top speeds of 2023:

1. Ronaldo Mulitalo (Sharks) 37.188km/h
2. Jason Saab (Sea Eagles) 37.116km/h
3. Maika Sivo (Eels) 36.864km/h
4. Dominic Young (Knights) 36.828km/h
5. Josh Addo-Carr (Bulldogs) 36.756km/h
6. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (Dolphins) 36.684km/h
7. Alofiana Khan-Pereira (Titans) 36.144km/h
8. Mitchell Moses (Eels) 36.108km/h
9. Jake Averillo (Bulldogs) 36.072km/h
10. Kalyn Ponga (Knights) 35.892km/h
11. Joseph-Aukuso Suaalii (Roosters) 35.784km/h
12. Dylan Edwards (Panthers) 35.748km/h
13. Jahream Bula (Tigers) 35.748km/h
14. Blake Wilson (Bulldogs) 35.712km/h
15. Tyrell Sloan (Dragons) 35.676km/h
16. Herbie Farnworth (Broncos) 35.64km/h
17. Reuben Garrick (Sea Eagles) 35.64km/h
18. Fetalaiga Pauga (Roosters) 35.64km/h
19. Clinton Gutherson (Eels) 35.532km/h
20. Reece Walsh (Broncos) 35.46km/h

By way of comparison, here are the top speeds of 2023:

1. Ronaldo Mulitalo (Sharks) 37.188km/h
2. Jason Saab (Sea Eagles) 37.116km/h
3. Maika Sivo (Eels) 36.864km/h
4. Dominic Young (Knights) 36.828km/h
5. Josh Addo-Carr (Bulldogs) 36.756km/h
6. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (Dolphins) 36.684km/h
7. Alofiana Khan-Pereira (Titans) 36.144km/h
8. Mitchell Moses (Eels) 36.108km/h
9. Jake Averillo (Bulldogs) 36.072km/h
10. Kalyn Ponga (Knights) 35.892km/h
11. Joseph-Aukuso Suaalii (Roosters) 35.784km/h
12. Dylan Edwards (Panthers) 35.748km/h
13. Jahream Bula (Tigers) 35.748km/h
14. Blake Wilson (Bulldogs) 35.712km/h
15. Tyrell Sloan (Dragons) 35.676km/h
16. Herbie Farnworth (Broncos) 35.64km/h
17. Reuben Garrick (Sea Eagles) 35.64km/h
18. Fetalaiga Pauga (Roosters) 35.64km/h
19. Clinton Gutherson (Eels) 35.532km/h
20. Reece Walsh (Broncos) 35.46km/h
Be interesting to know wet v dry in that top 20

Would anyone consider Cook as a pick up. If he goes on the market?

Cook is better than Smoothy, Billy and Mozer currently, but unless we are offloading Smoothy or Billy its a no.

Deine Mariner's manager has come out whinging that both him and the Phins were punished for trying to entice Mariner to break his contract, probably after Badel decided to interview him for clicks during the Brisbane rivalry game. See his quotes below (there are some red flags for me, i'll highlight them in ... well, red)

The Integrity unit found the Phins guilty of illegal dealings with Mariner

The Dolphins were hit with a $50,000 fine – $25,000 of which was suspended

Mariner’s manager Dixon McIver was also slapped with a provisional 12-month suspension should he again breach the NRL’s Playing Contract and Remuneration (PCR) Rules over the next two years.

Dixon McIver said:

“There’s a lot of rorts that have gone on in this game unpunished, yet I was punished for something that never happened,”

“I am still shocked by the whole thing. My name got dragged through the mud and it impacted on Deine as well.

“It’s now a blemish against my name and I’m not happy about it because it’s still a mark.

“The whole issue was overinflated. I was the unfortunate bugger who got made an example of.

“I still don’t understand the logic and how this all played out.

“The truth is the Dolphins did nothing wrong and not once was there any inducement for Deine to leave the Broncos.

“It disappointed me in a big way because I have always had a lot of pride in the way I conduct myself as an agent.

“I got made an example of, but to this day I am adamant there was nothing underhanded or untoward in what took place.

“The NRL took the action they did and I have another year to keep my name clean, which I intend to do.

“You have to ask the Broncos what they believe we did, but I know my side of the story.

“The truth is there was no tampering breach.

“I have been honest all along with the NRL.

“There has been a lot of stuff going on between the Dolphins and Broncos in Brisbane and I believe this (the Mariner spat) was the culmination of things.

“There was the Karl Oloapu issue as well, so the Broncos clearly had some frustrations.”

McIver confirmed he had interest from several clubs, including the Dolphins, but claims at no stage did Wayne Bennett’s club table a formal offer.

“We absolutely contemplated if it would be a wise move for Deine to look elsewhere, if in fact there was somewhere else to be,” he said.

“I initially asked Brisbane because of the logjam of talent. The Broncos had Selwyn Cobbo, Jesse Arthars, Herbie Farnworth, Kotoni Staggs coming through and Reece Walsh came back from the Warriors, so Deine didn’t know where he would fit in.

“We respectfully asked the Broncos for permission to negotiate, they respectfully declined and we respected that.

“This is exactly what happened – I had a brief discussion with the Dolphins and I communicated that to the NRL integrity unit.

“There was no coercion. There was nothing documented. There were no offers.

“We had one conversation with the Dolphins. There was nothing even concrete (related to a contract inducement) that would hold up in a court of law.

“We didn’t even have a formal meeting with the Dolphins. I had one passing conversation with a Dolphins official at a football oval and that was it.

“The Dolphins were one of several clubs to express interest in Deine.

“What baffled me the most is what notes can I supply to the NRL for something that never happened?

“A lot of people thought I would just roll over and blame the Dolphins. But the Dolphins did nothing wrong.

“I stuck to my word of being honest and I got f***ing crucified for it.

“I have no idea what Brisbane supplied to the NRL, I’m not privy to their statements, but Deine has since honoured his Broncos deal and there is no issue with him and Brisbane.

“We have since signed an extension, so Deine has no issue with being a Bronco.

Cook is past it and has looked past it for a season or two now.
I got to be honest the only time he had it was about one season, when he dashed out of dummy half and players hadn’t adjusted for it. Ever since all teams know to not over commit and he just goes nowhere and runs out of ideas. One trick pony “beach sprinter”

Cook is past it and has looked past it for a season or two now
Personally think his forward pack is past it he thrives on qptb and he just hasnt been getting it,if souths were prepared to pick up the difference wouldnt be a bad gamble at 300k give or take but as like @Wolfie said cant do it with smoothy mozer and walters on the books one would have to go

No point with Smoothie and Mozer developing. I cant see him adding much more above what BW did last season. His current form might just be an environment thing, but not worth the dollars when we need depth in the forwards.

Would anyone consider Cook as a pick up. If he goes on the market?

I came on here today to ask the same question.

Cook would be exactly what we need at 9 to help us go from a team that makes grand finals to a team that wins grand finals. We already know he combines great with Reynolds.

It would fit in well with Mozer’s development too. Seems like he’s a couple years away from being ready.

Billy Walters could move back to bench utility and Smoothy would be our depth or might have to leave with Mozer as our 3rd option.

As I said, Mozer isn’t ready. If Mozer is our future at 9 then we shouldn’t worry about the future of Walters and Smoothy as our 9.

2 year deal for Damien Cook would get me genuinely excited that we could win the comp. Even if we don’t win the comp, the club would be better off for having Cook.

nah, he's 33 in june. his best asset is his speed, which he no longer has.
if we think Mozer is the real deal, let's go all in on him.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • MrMoore
  • Harry Sack
  • broncsgoat
  • Redux
  • Fitzy
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Dash
  • Xzei
  • Wendall Taylor
  • Sproj
  • MrTickyMcG
  • whykickamoocow
  • Ozired
  • Justwin
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.