Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2024

He good as gone i think anyway lol will be interesting to see if he gets anything from us at the end of the year

I was rambling on about Paix being a cpl of injuries or a loss of form away from playing 1sts again . People criticized my opinion . Now injuries are piling up it doesn`t seem so ridiculous .

I was rambling on about Paix being a cpl of injuries or a loss of form away from playing 1sts again . People criticized my opinion . Now injuries are piling up it doesn`t seem so ridiculous .
Where do you see him playing, and who for?

Where do you see him playing, and who for?
Billy and Smoothy get hurt or loose form he`ll be playing hooker for the Broncos .
Might still be in front of Mozer in the pecking order at this stage .

Long shot , yes . But take note of the injury list this year .

Billy and Smoothy get hurt or loose form he`ll be playing hooker for the Broncos .

Paix came through the grades as a halfback, but is he any good there? Can he cover the halves if needed?

Deine Mariner's manager has come out whinging that both him and the Phins were punished for trying to entice Mariner to break his contract, probably after Badel decided to interview him for clicks during the Brisbane rivalry game. See his quotes below (there are some red flags for me, i'll highlight them in ... well, red)

The Integrity unit found the Phins guilty of illegal dealings with Mariner

The Dolphins were hit with a $50,000 fine – $25,000 of which was suspended

Mariner’s manager Dixon McIver was also slapped with a provisional 12-month suspension should he again breach the NRL’s Playing Contract and Remuneration (PCR) Rules over the next two years.

Dixon McIver said:

“There’s a lot of rorts that have gone on in this game unpunished, yet I was punished for something that never happened,”

“I am still shocked by the whole thing. My name got dragged through the mud and it impacted on Deine as well.

“It’s now a blemish against my name and I’m not happy about it because it’s still a mark.

“The whole issue was overinflated. I was the unfortunate bugger who got made an example of.

“I still don’t understand the logic and how this all played out.

“The truth is the Dolphins did nothing wrong and not once was there any inducement for Deine to leave the Broncos.

“It disappointed me in a big way because I have always had a lot of pride in the way I conduct myself as an agent.

“I got made an example of, but to this day I am adamant there was nothing underhanded or untoward in what took place.

“The NRL took the action they did and I have another year to keep my name clean, which I intend to do.

“You have to ask the Broncos what they believe we did, but I know my side of the story.

“The truth is there was no tampering breach.

“I have been honest all along with the NRL.

“There has been a lot of stuff going on between the Dolphins and Broncos in Brisbane and I believe this (the Mariner spat) was the culmination of things.

“There was the Karl Oloapu issue as well, so the Broncos clearly had some frustrations.”

McIver confirmed he had interest from several clubs, including the Dolphins, but claims at no stage did Wayne Bennett’s club table a formal offer.

“We absolutely contemplated if it would be a wise move for Deine to look elsewhere, if in fact there was somewhere else to be,” he said.

“I initially asked Brisbane because of the logjam of talent. The Broncos had Selwyn Cobbo, Jesse Arthars, Herbie Farnworth, Kotoni Staggs coming through and Reece Walsh came back from the Warriors, so Deine didn’t know where he would fit in.

“We respectfully asked the Broncos for permission to negotiate, they respectfully declined and we respected that.

“This is exactly what happened – I had a brief discussion with the Dolphins and I communicated that to the NRL integrity unit.

“There was no coercion. There was nothing documented. There were no offers.

“We had one conversation with the Dolphins. There was nothing even concrete (related to a contract inducement) that would hold up in a court of law.

“We didn’t even have a formal meeting with the Dolphins. I had one passing conversation with a Dolphins official at a football oval and that was it.

“The Dolphins were one of several clubs to express interest in Deine.

“What baffled me the most is what notes can I supply to the NRL for something that never happened?

“A lot of people thought I would just roll over and blame the Dolphins. But the Dolphins did nothing wrong.

“I stuck to my word of being honest and I got f***ing crucified for it.

“I have no idea what Brisbane supplied to the NRL, I’m not privy to their statements, but Deine has since honoured his Broncos deal and there is no issue with him and Brisbane.

“We have since signed an extension, so Deine has no issue with being a Bronco.
Possibly keeping your trap shut would be the best advice Dixon, It's not all about you.

Still not close to being back in the NRL side as all of our hookers are still fit

Mozer keeps getting picked in the 22, Paix doesn't. If there were an injury to Billy or Tyson, would be weird for Cory to jump Blake.

Paix came through the grades as a halfback, but is he any good there? Can he cover the halves if needed?
No. I watched him trial at HB for the broncos years ago. He was hyped as a "cronk clone" at the time but the only thing that was similar to cronk was his hair.

I don't rate him as a half or a hooker really. He's a cup player. If he was anything else he would have been picked up on an NRL contract somewhere else

No. I watched him trial at HB for the broncos years ago. He was hyped as a "cronk clone" at the time but the only thing that was similar to cronk was his hair.

I don't rate him as a half or a hooker really. He's a cup player. If he was anything else he would have been picked up on an NRL contract somewhere else
In that case, I see no point in keeping him around. I don't really rate him as a hooker, and his game hasn't improved much over the years. He can't play big minutes, his defence is average, and his passing is inconsistent. I was expecting him to turn into a Damien Cook style hooker, but perhaps he just isn't as good as we had hoped he would be.

Didn't the club try to move Paix on already? He won't be renewed.

Yeah he's been free to negotiate elsewhere for about 12 months now. Hard to negotiate when nobody wants to talk to you I guess.

The only position we haven't had injury in is the 1 that we could slot any of 4 options in and we may improve. Ps for all the waters haters, not saying we would, just that we have POTENTIALLY equal or better depth options (potential doesn't mean they are until they prove it)...

The only position we haven't had injury in is the 1 that we could slot any of 4 options in and we may improve. Ps for all the waters haters, not saying we would, just that we have POTENTIALLY equal or better depth options (potential doesn't mean they are until they prove it)...

you've just jinxed us .... Mozer, Walters, Smoothy and Paix will now all suffer some form of injury this weekend

you've just jinxed us .... Mozer, Walters, Smoothy and Paix will now all suffer some form of injury this weekend
Given our luck this year you've made me legitimately paranoid. To counter my curse I have prayed to the almighty (alfie) and asked for our luck to change

Is it possible to allow Baker to talk to other clubs about an immediate release, provided they pay his full freight?!
We could just carry 3 on the bench or start with 12. Makes no difference….

Yeah he's been free to negotiate elsewhere for about 12 months now. Hard to negotiate when nobody wants to talk to you I guess.

Its not true nobody wants him. He's had a quite a bit of interest. The problem is he has a pretty decent contract here that he isnt willing to give up ( cant blame him for that ). We dont seem keen to chip in to get him off the books, and he isnt getting the same money elsewhere.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • john1420
  • Gaz
  • Foordy
  • Santa
  • NSW stables
  • Tmac
  • leon.bott
  • Xzei
  • Bucking Beads
  • KnToad
  • Broncorob
  • Culhwch
  • Dash
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Ondi
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Manofoneway
  • Strop
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.