Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2024

I was thinkin that myself .
Also with the size that Selwyn has put on he would need to change his training and diet to reshape his physique . 2 - 3 years ago when he played FB for Wynnum he was a lot lighter .

I remember reading a story re Karmicheal Hunt transitioning to AFL he had to lose muscle and reshape his body to have the aerobic fitness for that game .
Yeah selwin probably never gets back that lean again, he’s still got muscle mass coming not at peak male age yet.

They just want fullback money. It is so old and transparent the "they want to play fullback" peddled by managers. Holmes, Crichton, Farnworth, Turuva and I am sure there are more. It is just to be classified in a better paying position rather than the one they are best at.

I agree with you that there is a delusion with some about the position too.

The Fox. How many games did that last for?

I am sure our brains trust realises that too. They will make it work.

I imagine the priority signings this year are:
1. Walsh
2. Cobbo
3. Willison
4. Staggs
5. Mozer

Everyone else is nice to keep but not going to break the bank to do so and that probably includes Hetherington, Jensen, Sailor, Smoothy and Baker.
I think we will be fighting hard to keep the top 5. Sailor, smootht, Baker, Jensen and heatherington are all on about the same as cobbo combined.

Hoping we don’t pay 800k for Cobbo really. He’s not worth it. The old broncos would pay that, I can’t see donaghy paying that. I think Staggs will head to the roosters if I’m being honest. He’s on to much money and doesn’t provide the stats to back the dollars he’s on.

Hoping we don’t pay 800k for Cobbo really. He’s not worth it. The old broncos would pay that, I can’t see donaghy paying that. I think Staggs will head to the roosters if I’m being honest. He’s on to much money and doesn’t provide the stats to back the dollars he’s on.
I think that’s pessimistic thinking, certainly after Kevvie latest comments about keeping both. We are back to being a destination club…if we give fair offers it would take something pretty special to make our players leave, especially from a team outside of Southern QLD.

I could easily see Staggs knocking back 800-850k from a Roosters or Tigers if he can stay at Broncos for 700k.

The Mrs will have a say in where they go .
I always consider the significant other and do they have kids ? Where would you want to raise your family ?
Indigenous people are pretty big on family so I'd imagine Cobbo would want to stay as close as possible to his.
I'm not sure who his Mrs is or what her background is but let's hope she's Born and Bred in SEQ.

I feel like the Cobbo at fullback talk should probably be over anyway... not really talking about here but how it's pushed in the media... he can fill a role there if we get an injury during the game, but I'm just not sure he has the ball playing to do it.

In his games back there it's not like he's throwing 30m cutout balls to put his wingers away... which is what Latrell does and what GI was doing back there... when you consider big bodied centres that moved to fullback. He's also not the safest under the high ball either.

In saying that Cobbo has sooo many traits to be an absolutely elite centre:
- his hands are ridiculously silky with those short balls ... and we haven't even seen him use an offload yet... which would absolutely be there
- effective and high workrate
- he's instinctive as hell when it comes to popping up around the ball or taking intercepts on the edges.
- I think he is a good defender out on the edges with his decision making so far
- his physically in general fast, lethal fend, intimidating when it comes to 1v1 battles on the edges defence and attack
- and whilst it hasn't been used yet I think we could definitely be a weapon at attacking bombs and jumping over defenders in the same way Lomax attacks bombs

He's got pretty much got everything you'd want out of an elite centre... and opposition teams know that.

Try to lure him with the promise of fullback and then just park him straight into centre, because he's fucking elite there.

I feel like the Cobbo at fullback talk should probably be over anyway... not really talking about here but how it's pushed in the media... he can fill a role there if we get an injury during the game, but I'm just not sure he has the ball playing to do it.

In his games back there it's not like he's throwing 30m cutout balls to put his wingers away... which is what Latrell does and what GI was doing back there... when you consider big bodied centres that moved to fullback. He's also not the safest under the high ball either.

- his hands are ridiculously silky with those short balls ... and we haven't even seen him use an offload yet... which would absolutely be there
- he's instinctive as hell when it comes to popping up around the ball or taking intercepts on the edges.
- I think he is a good defender out on the edges with his decision making so far
- his physically in general fast, lethal fend, intimidating when it comes to 1v1 battles on the edges defence and attack
- and whilst it hasn't been used yet I think we could definitely be a weapon at attacking bombs and jumping over defenders in the same way Lomax attacks bombs

He's got pretty much got everything you'd want out of an elite centre... and opposition teams know that.

Try to lure him with the promise of fullback and then just park him straight into centre, because he's fucking elite there.

And once again, Hodges can talk about exactly that happening.

His preference was Fullback or Centre.
Now he's got the centre spot at the club he dreamed of playing for and he's getting his hands on the football even in these early stages of being there. He'll be a representative in that position.
He's the closest he can get to his family and home town.
It's going to take something really big to even make him think about leaving.

I doubt we keep Staggs, we will keep Cobbo though imo, There should be room for a decent Willison contract too if we don't drag our heels.

I think that’s pessimistic thinking, certainly after Kevvie latest comments about keeping both. We are back to being a destination club…if we give fair offers it would take something pretty special to make our players leave, especially from a team outside of Southern QLD.

I could easily see Staggs knocking back 800-850k from a Roosters or Tigers if he can stay at Broncos for 700k.
That’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying donaghy may not offer 800k for a centre at all. And I don’t blame him. We’re done overpaying for players that aren’t spine players or Payne Haas and carrigan everyone else can come and go. Storm tactics

That’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying donaghy may not offer 800k for a centre at all. And I don’t blame him. We’re done overpaying for players that aren’t spine players or Payne Haas and carrigan everyone else can come and go. Storm tactics

Storm aren’t the benchmark anymore though, Penrith are and they just paid a fortune for their two centres who unofficially aren’t as good as ours and officially for salary cap purposes are significantly better.

800k a year under the current salary cap is equivalent to about 600k a year under the old cap (when Staggs re-signed). That's not overs for a gun center ... Especially one that can also play fullback and wing to a high level

800k a year under the current salary cap is equivalent to about 600k a year under the old cap (when Staggs re-signed). That's not overs for a gun center ... Especially one that can also play fullback and wing to a high level
This and we wont upgrade Willison this early in the piece. His next contract will be a one or two year extension where he will back himself to perform and earn the right to a big contract - Similar to Flegler. It would be rare for any club to pay huge for a forward that has played under 50 NRL games.

Isn’t the lesson you only pay spine money for spine players? For every generational talent like Dave Fifita you seem to have an assembly line of much better value players lining up behind them.. only galaxy brains could think D Fifita on 1M+ is good business.

So go hard for Walsh but be careful with Cobbo, Staggs etc, make their salaries fit in with what’s left after the spine are secured. Thats the reason, or one of them I’m not sold on the money Haas is getting. If it costs the Broncos Walsh then it’s super dumb.

Active Now

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.