Gorden Tallis launches extraordinary attack at Brisbane enforcer Adam Blair

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I'm not going to weigh in on the whole Bennett/Tallis feud, but Gordie is spot on there. The media does a pretty good job in spinning stories. and they have twisted his words a bit, but what Gordon said was that he is disappointed that Blair plays the way he does wearing a Broncos jersey. I agree with him. That's not what the Broncos are about, so why is Bennett tolerating it?

What Blair does constantly is not tough, its not being an enforcer, its just being a grub. its just cheap shots. I don't want the Broncos to be known across the rugby league community as being a grubby team, but I'm hearing it more often than ever before. Another thing he mentioned was, some of the club legends such as Petero or Webcke would never do that, let alone to their own teammate.

I can appreciate Blairs one percenter's and his last ditch efforts, but what I don't like to see is when he resorts to cheap shots. It's not needed, and its not in the spirit that the Broncos play in.

I don't understand this TBH. No one agrees with the chicken wing, obviously. I hate that he did it and wish it didn't happen. In saying that it is the only time I have seen him do it since he joined us.

What I don't get is why he is a 'dirty' player because he hits players after the pass the ball at the line. As long as it is only slightly after and not massively late I have no issue with it. If halves want to run to the line that is what is likely to happen. If players like Blair stop doing it then halves will do it all day and defence will unravel.

This has always been done yet it is only an issue now because Thurston whinges about it and Gordie says so.

**** Gordie. In my eyes he never played for us.

BTW - in regards to the whole 'Broncos have never played like the his, have never been 'dirty'. How long have you actually watched the Broncos mate?

Last edited:
austin71

austin71

NRL Player
Apr 21, 2013
Does Tallis forget Greg Bird plays for his beloved Titans? Isn't he the most suspended player in the game...Or close to it!

austin71

austin71

NRL Player
Apr 21, 2013
Greg Bird..4th most suspended player in Nrl history. Don't throw stones in glass houses Gordie ya wanker!

L

lionred

NYC Player
Feb 9, 2015
Lol. Yeah i think this is a good example of the media grabbing our attention.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
To be brutally honest, i don't think Blair is any more grubby than Moose when it comes to club football.

Both are aggressive players and will do whatever it takes to get the better of their opponent, and both are exactly the type of forward we need to combat a lot of the bigger packs.

I think Blairs attitude when playing for NZ is a little more 'liberal' however.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
It's quite disgusting the whole gang mentality that the media take on at times. One bloke attacks a player and they all pat him on the back, then form a line to take pot shots of their own to bag the same player. Player's have the motto that what happens on the field stays on the field, hypocrites like Tallis seem to forget that when it's convenient for him.

People seem to forget that Adam is a person too.

Blair plays the game tough, in that he sometimes takes things too far (chicken wing) but mostly he is doing the 1%ers that the team needs yet that seems to me he is fair game for Gordon's latest album attack on the Broncos.

Blair is a leader off and on the field and because of the occasional incident on the field the media deem he is fair game. A bloke like Mitchell Pearce has a list of indescretions off the field, the latest being forcing himself on a woman and pretending to **** a dog, yet the media decided we need to support him because he says he sowwy.

Spare me.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I don't understand this TBH. No one agrees with the chicken wing, obviously. I hate that he did it and wish it didn't happen. In saying that it is the only time I have seen him do it since he joined us.

What I don't get is why he is a 'dirty' player because he hits players after the pass the ball at the line. As long as it is only slightly after and not massively late I have no issue with it. If halves want to run to the line that is what is likely to happen. If players like Blair stop doing it then halves will do it all day and defence will unravel.

This has always been done yet it is only an issue now because Thurston whinges about it and Gordie says so.

BTW - in regards to the whole 'Broncos have never played like the his, have never been 'dirty'. How long have you actually watched the Broncos mate?

The bolded ^^^^^^^^^

Up until now Blair has been remarkably clean for us. The two suspensions he's received were both for (accidental) high contact, where the tackled player dropped like a fly. Had they not, they would not even be worthy of penalties - they were not even late.

He was a grubby **** at Melbourne for sure, I hated him, but it looks to me to be instructional - can't help but think Kearney and his Melbourne roots might have something to do with Friday's game.

animal eater

animal eater

QCup Player
Jul 27, 2013
Does Blair need to show a bit more discretion and get some of the rubbish out of his game? I would definitely say so.

Does Gordy need to shut the hell up, bring his massive ego in, and stop taking pot shots at the Broncos at any available time? I would definitely say so.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Love Gordie as a player. Just had that intensity and intimidation factor we sorely miss these days. A real Broncos ledgend.

Gordie as a pundit however i think he just embarrasses himself at times. He lets his personal vendetta get in the way of any fair debate.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Adam Blair has always been a dirty player. I am not sure he is the dirtiest in the game but he'd be in the top 10. There really is nothing to see here. Tallis has his agenda against Bennett sure but he has always said it how he sees it.

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
We've had players like Blair from day one..

Quite a few of them club legends..

Hell, some of them were worse than Blair. Dishing out elbows to intentionally hurt players.

Broncos have always had dirty players in the side.

Yeah but no one in the Broncos history would do chicken wing tackles, alligator rolls and what not as routinely as Blair does. That is the issue I have with Blair at times. A lot of the stuff he does in tackles is unnecessary and not needed.

Last edited:
B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013

Please highlight in my post where I have used the word "dirty." Not once did I make mention of the Broncos never ever being "dirty".What I said was the Broncos were never "grubby". Resorting to cheap, grubby, wrestling tactics is a blight on the game, and its something the Broncos, in particular Wayne Bennett have never been about. Blair is constantly using wrestling moves in tackles, picked up from his time in Melbourne, and it's almost second nature to him.

I have zero issue with face to face confrontations. That's footy, but grubby tactics such as wrestling holds and moves targeted to injure specific joints, I am not okay with.

As for how long I've watched the Broncos play, well my reply to that is I've watched every single Broncos game, as well as every other NRL game in each round religiously for as long as I can remember, which would be well over the last 15 years. Please highlight to me in all the Broncos matches ever played, where we have used wrestling tactics before. The fact that you're quite evidently illiterate makes me question your credibility and in return let me pose the question to you, How long have you actually watched the Broncos... mate?

Last edited:
Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011

Can you elaborate a bit more on this. He played 160 games for us, captained us and won 3 grand finals with us and is a member of the hall of fame. I don't get how you think 'he never played for us'

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Yeah but no one in the Broncos history would do chicken wing tackles, alligator rolls and what not as routinely as Blair does. That is the issue I have with Blair at times. A lot of the stuff he does in tackles is unnecessary and not needed.
I couldn't help but smile when I read your last line. Please don't take great offence but if you look at the last four words I'm sure you will see what I mean !

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

Routinely?!? I can cannot think of one other time in a Broncos jersey that he has done a chicken wing tackle. The media are making out like it happens every week and it seems even our own fans are buying it.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Can you elaborate a bit more on this. He played 160 games for us, captained us and won 3 grand finals with us and is a member of the hall of fame. I don't get how you think 'he never played for us'

Are you serious? Sometimes I don't even know how to reply to you.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Please highlight in my post where I have used the word "dirty." Not once did I make mention of the Broncos never ever being "dirty".What I said was the Broncos were never "grubby". Resorting to cheap, grubby, wrestling tactics is a blight on the game, and its something the Broncos, in particular Wayne Bennett have never been about. Blair is constantly using wrestling moves in tackles, picked up from his time in Melbourne, and it's almost second nature to him.

I have zero issue with face to face confrontations. That's footy, but grubby tactics such as wrestling holds and moves targeted to injure specific joints, I am not okay with.

As for how long I've watched the Broncos play, well my reply to that is I've watched every single Broncos game, as well as every other NRL game in each round religiously for as long as I can remember, which would be well over the last 15 years. Please highlight to me in all the Broncos matches ever played, where we have used wrestling tactics before. The fact that your quite evidently illiterate makes me question your credibility and in return let me pose the question to you, How long have you actually watched the Broncos... mate?

So we are going to argue over symantics are we? Grubby and dirty mean the same thing in this context and you know that, but if you want to use that to claim some kind of victory then good luck to you.

We have always used wrestling tactics and have always had players that play on the boundaries like Blair.

How exactly am I illiterate and why do you feel the need to resort to personal attacks when that is not the way I replied to you?

Rally Towel

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2014
I haven't noticed any propensity from Blair to apply unnecessary tactics in the tackle in his time with us. No more than any other player.

He does toe the line a bit in hitting a player late as they pass at the line but that's the game isn't it? He's hardly the only one and that's the price you pay for taking the line on.

Provided it's a clean tackle, no dramas. A bit cheap at times, sure, but he's not at Beau Scott levels of grubbiness.

Active Now

• scobie
  • Justwin
  • FACTHUNT
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Bucking Beads
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • ChewThePhatt
  • MrMoore
  • broncsgoat
  • Santa
  • Wolfie
  • broncos4life
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.