PRE-GAME Grand Final - Broncos vs Cowboys v

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Re: Grand Final - Broncos vs Cowboys

FORMER Test star Greg Alexander knows a thing or two about game plans.

In a career spanning 16 seasons, the former playmaker captained Penrith to their maiden premiership in 1991.

Having played in two grand finals and tasted success, here’s where Alexander believes the game will be won and lost on Sunday.

BRONCOS GAME PLAN

You only have to go back to the first week of the finals to identify North Queensland’s defensive weakness.

Brisbane scored two tries on that Saturday night in early September and they both came straight through the middle.

Ever since their 16-12 loss to the Broncos, the Cowboys big men have been brilliant.

They did a number on Cronulla and backed it up against Melbourne but the fact remains that through sheer size the Cowboys lack mobility.

The time will come in Sunday’s grand final where the big men will be feeling the pinch and that’s when the Broncos will strike.

When they last met, it was Brisbane’s little men that hurt them and they do so through the middle.

Ben Hunt split the defence to score a solo try on the 27 minute mark, while Kodi Nikorima opened them up and linked with Anthony Milford for a try 15 minutes from fulltime.

That’s where the Cowboys are most vulnerable.

You’d have to imagine Paul Green would be concerned that his team has given up twice as many tries as his opposition through the middle.

Even though the Broncos concede metres defensively, they still defend their line.

Patience is the key.

While it’s easier said than done, Wayne Bennett-coached sides are very level headed and don’t panic.

Just like when they last met, I expect the Broncos will get two golden opportunities to strike.

The first will be around the 20 minute mark just before there’s a change.

That’s when the Cowboys will be most vulnerable because their big men will be blowing and at that stage where they are due to come off for a rest.

Then next chance will come during the final 15 minutes of the game.

This is Nikorima’s opportunity to blow the game open.

He did it the last time they met and in a team riddled with superstars, he can go relatively unnoticed.

No one has really focused on the benches of either side.

Nikorima exposed the Cowboys with his blistering speed in week one of the finals and there’s no reason he can’t make a big impact and come up with a winning play on grand final day.

COWBOYS GAME PLAN

It’s no secret North Queensland’s big men turned their form around after their loss to Brisbane in the first week of the finals.

Full of confidence, they’ll try and batter the Brisbane defensive line and wear them down by steam rolling them through the middle.

But that’s not where the damage will be done and it won’t win them the game.

The Cowboys’ best chance to post points is on the edges.

While the Broncos have great defence, Johnathan Thurston and Michael Morgan are experts at breaking through what would be perceived as impenetrable armour.

It’s all about taking your opportunities, something they failed to do when they last met.

Just last month the Cowboys had plenty of chances to post points but a few things were a miss.

Their timing was off and Morgan wasn’t at his brilliant best.

You have to remember that match was Morgan’s return from an ankle issue and he lacked confidence.

That won’t be an issue this weekend as he showed last week against Melbourne.

Morgan was a serious headache on the right edge and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Cowboys go to him on Sunday.

That’s the Cowboys best chance so I’d expect Brisbane’s inside edges and halves to cop a lot of traffic.

Jack Reed’s edge is most vulnerable.

It was highlighted by Blake Ferguson in their match against the Roosters last week.

Ferguson screamed past Reed twice early in the first half.

It’s important that Thurston and Morgan link with their edge runners Gavin Cooper and Ethan Lowe.

Thurston and Cooper have a great combination so I anticipate they will send a lot of traffic down Reed’s side.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...-nrl-grand-final/story-fn2mcuj6-1227556231048

Last edited:
Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014

JOHNATHAN Thurston. Darius Boyd. Corey Parker. Matt Scott.

There’s no shortage of star power running onto ANZ Stadium on Sunday to battle it out for the NRL premiership.

Some of the biggest names in rugby league will go head to head in the ultimate decider.

But, as the saying goes, it’s a team sport.

And that means there’s 34 men who will be asked to stand up and perform their role in the last match of the season.

We take a look at some of the forgotten pieces of the grand final puzzle, and just how they will slot into the picture on Sunday.

BRONCOS

Jack Reed

Reed’s defensive faults were laid bare last week when he let Blake Ferguson walk past him for two tries as the Broncos beat the Roosters at Suncorp Stadium.

He averages 1.8 missed tackles every game.

Brisbane can’t afford to leak any soft tries in the big dance.

Reed will need to be rock solid on his left edge to hold out Kyle Feldt and Justin O’Neill.

He also needs to help the less experienced winger Corey Oates hold his nerve on the big stage.

Jarrod Wallace

The rookie forward spent the first couple of games of 2015 sitting on the bench for 80 minutes.

He now averages more than 37 minutes on the park from his 24 matches.

Standing at 189 centimetres and weighing 108 kilograms, he provides some punch in attack and is a rock in defence.

Wallace will be a handy addition to the pack while the likes of Sam Thaiday and Adam Blair take a breather.

Mitchell Dodds

Dodds plays a similar role to fellow bench forward Wallace, and he will be crucial on Sunday as fill-in for the Broncos’ big men.

He averages about 28 minutes a game this year along with 43.6 metres and two line breaks.

His role off the pine is vital to an 80-minute performance from the Brisbane team.

Sunday will also be Dodds’ last game with the club after signing a deal with Warrington from 2016.

Joe Ofahengaue

The 20-year-old has been a revelation this year, even to coach Wayne Bennett.

After initially being told he wouldn’t cut first grade in 2015, Ofahengaue has played 13 games off the bench and averages nearly 25 minutes a pop.

It’s unclear how much game time he will be afforded on Sunday but he’s sure to go out there and make some sort of impact late in the piece.

Kodi Nikorima

The diminutive playmaker showed the rugby league world what he is capable of in the first week of finals.

He was injected late in the game against North Queensland and with his first touch of the ball, darted out of dummy half and placed a beautiful ball on Anthony Milford’s chest to set up a try.

Look for Nikorima to play the same role on Sunday, coming in late to make a few sharp runs out of hooker and catch the Cowboys napping.

The danger is he can float just about anywhere across the field and bob up to create havoc.

COWBOYS

Kyle Feldt

Feldt struggled to crack Paul Green’s team earlier this year, but must now help the club win its breakthrough premiership.

He’s a monster 23-year-old who would look equally comfortable in the forward pack as he does on the wing.

His battle with Broncos opposite Corey Oates will be intriguing and just as crucial.

Oates has scored 13 tries in 24 games and can be hard to stop when he gets on the end of a Hunt or Milford ball.

Ethan Lowe

It’s hard to stick out when you’re playing in between Matt Scott, James Tamou, Gavin Cooper, and Jason Taumalolo.

But Lowe’s statistics are quite impressive if you take the time to look at them.

He’s typically an 80-minute back rower who averages just shy of 100 metres a game this year, as well as making more than 35 tackles.

While his teammates are hogging the limelight, Lowe will be putting in the work to grind down Brisbane’s edge forwards.

Rory Kostjasyn

His name won’t be on any of Wayne Bennett’s tip sheets but Kostjasyn plays one of the most important roles for North Queensland.

Paul Green insists on resting number one hooker Jake Granville midway through games and Kostjasyn must fill the void left at rake.

Granville provides such a spark out of dummy half and is vital in getting Johnathan Thurston and his forwards plenty of good ball.

For the 30 or so minutes he is on the park, Kostjasyn can’t afford to let the Broncos get on top.

John Asiata

Asiata averages the least minutes of game time of the four Cowboys bench players.

He plays second fiddle to the likes of Scott Bolton and Ben Hannant in terms of impact forwards, but his value lies in his ball skills.

Asiata will most likely come on to give Taamalolo a rest midway through the game, and Paul Green will be looking for an injection of energy from the young forward.

Scott Bolton

Here’s another North Queensland forward who can be forgotten among his high-profile teammates.

But Scott Bolton is a workhorse, and you can rely on him to put in 100 per cent whenever Paul Green promotes him off the bench.

Averaging less than 37 minutes per game, he somehow averages more than 103 metres from just 10 hit-ups.
He’s reliable in defence and can plug a hole wherever needed.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...-broncos-decider/story-fn2mcuj6-1227556183779

Last edited:
Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011

I saw this thing yesterday about our guys getting told not to target Thurston and Green asking the refs to protect him. Thats rubbish, Thurston is a professional rugby league player and physical contact is unavoidable.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008

All halves get targetted.

Sick and tired of Thurston & co complaining about it.

OK, sick and tired of Thurston complaining each time things don't go his way.

Mosyzlak

Mosyzlak

QCup Player
Dec 14, 2013

Does JT speak out about it though? I've only ever heard the coach and team mates talk about it.

TLDR: GO BRONCOS!!!

Rally Towel

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2014

Get a grip Cowboys.

I'll never advocate late/cheap shots but key players in any side are always going to be targeted.

What they're advocating is preferential treatment, which is a load of bullocks. If anything, we've been guilty of affording him too much respect.

I hope we make it the longest 80 minutes of his life, within the rules of the game.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008

Can someone confirm this?

Nine will be showing in lameD, and Gem in HD?

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008

Yeah I think that is the case Alec

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008

Hmm, I'll watch it on GEM anyway. Just in case :takdir:

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008

Can someone confirm this?

Nine will be showing in lameD, and Gem in HD?

Games are on Gem in HD.

I am watching Gem now.

Last edited:
LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013

I've been pacing the house since waking up. This is ridiculous. Hurry the **** up 6:30pm!! Sooo fucking excited. Cowgirls and their bandwagoneers can go EAD. 7/7 coming up...

Rally Towel

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2014

Whichever way the cards fall, I think we're in for a classic in the making. Should typify everything that's great about the game.

Both teams are super hungry, and will give their all. That said, I think the mutual respect will make this a clean encounter played within the spirit of the game.

Can't wait!

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

The game now on GEM is HD, comes up as 1080i on the TV. So watch it on GEM/90 to get HD quality.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008

It looks kinda the same on my TV, I don't get it.

Fernando

Fernando

NRL Captain
Jun 6, 2015

Good interview Paul White there, he seemed pretty upbeat which is a good sign. All the best to him!

Fernando

Fernando

NRL Captain
Jun 6, 2015

If we get out to any sort of lead I'll be fairly confident. The start is gonna be huge

Unread

Active Now

• marw
  • bb_gun
  • Cavalo
  • Jedhead
  • Strop
  • Bongo
  • mitch222
  • phoenix
  • Bucking Beads
  • MrTickyMcG
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Aldo
  • Foordy
  • azza.79
  • BooKhaki
  • HarryAllan7
  • Manofoneway
  • broncsgoat
  • Xzei
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.