Is Lachlan Maranta Really That Bad?

What tips it for me, and why I think it's a confidence thing, is that I've never seen Maranta just dig in and try to rip through defenders to get over the line. He just doesn't have that killer instinct, that belief that regardless of what's in front of him he can grit his way through it. Which is actually really surprising - because that's exactly what he's doing in terms of his career - he's overcoming his (assumed) lack of talent and just working his arse off to be the best he can be and reach the goal, which is to play NRL.

He's not going to pick up that instinct, that aggression (aggression is probably a good description) overnight. At the moment if he's not guaranteed to get to the line he won't try, out of fear of failing, and he'll go the safe option. But all it might take is one really balls-out moment where he backs himself, believes he can do it, and actually does get there, and it'll give him the kickstarter to go to the next level.

Until then, no to Origin please. But I'll be the first one cheering him on if he does.

What do running coaches do then?

Some are blessed with speed, Corey Parker is blessed, but not with speed, and all the coaching in the world wont change that. All you can do is tinker at the edges

And you can't teach instinct either, which is what he lacks most imo.
Coordination and balance are different words for the same thing, and although Maranta has improved in those aspects, he's still well below par.

I partly agree, some Rat cunning may be inherent. Instinct's can come also from confidence and experience.

I partly agree, some Rat cunning may be inherent. Instinct's can come also from confidence and experience.
Lachlan is not exactly a rookie. He's played over 40 NRL games...

I don't agree on the instinct thing though... it's imo not different from speed or balance, it's an innate ability and you either have it or you don't.

Anyway, FTR I would love Maranta to prove me wrong, because he's a likeable kid and by all reports, works his arse off every day. That is something I have all the respect in the world for.

Lachlan is not exactly a rookie. He's played over 40 NRL games...

I don't agree on the instinct thing though... it's imo not different from speed or balance, it's an innate ability and you either have it or you don't.

Anyway, FTR I would love Maranta to prove me wrong, because he's a likeable kid and by all reports, works his arse off every day. That is something I have all the respect in the world for.

Totally agree with you. Some players just have an ability to find the try line even if they are not the biggest or fastest.
Maranta is a good solid depth back for mine

If you watch the break Maranta ran last week, at the 25th minute mark, you can see why he is pretty bad.

The guy looks like that nerd at the nightclub practicing his pre-rehearsed dance moves while everyone cringes.

He literally steps *into* Morgan, not once, not twice, but 3 fucking times in the space of just 5 seconds. Now, slow it down, and watch his feet. He is not reacting to what Morgan is doing, he is just putting on some fucking crazy dance move. And it was the same move each time.

It's fucking embarrassing to watch.

Especially if you grew up watching Kilroy, Hancock, Johns, Shearer, Carne, Tuqiri, Sailor etc.

Now, you can't really compare Maranta with a guy like Inglis, but -- just do it as a fun example. Inglis moves, waits for a micro-second reaction from the defender then moves again based on this - all instinct - fend? in/out? blow past him? step? Different everytime and perfect for what is required. Very hard to coach.

Now Maranta? He's no Brisbane Bronco Winger in the mold of the guys that could make defenders look like they are standing still, and make Wally Lewis's mouth hang open mouthing "**** me dead" like the King did on the sidelines to a Shearer break one night.

But. He is still a Bennett winger.

Minto, de Vere. ****, even Bennett himself.

And we won premierships with de Vere. So it doesn't matter that he can't cut through open play like Carne, or go through 6 defenders like Hancock.

His real problem, but? It's his fucking name. Fans just think he's getting a ride. And very fucking little will ever change that... until he plays in premiership side...and then, he won't really be that bad.

Last edited:
Sorry Maranta fans, you're off the pace with this one.

Maranta isn't even an enigma. He is just clearly shithouse. He is comparatively slow compared to the best wingers in the game, he doesn't have any natural skill or finesse to help him overcome that. But his worst trait of all, and we saw it when he made that break against the Cows, ran about 75 metres then practically surrendered in the tackle, is that he panics under pressure. He constantly looks like he is scared shitless whenever a defender is running at him.

He is AT BEST a journeyman winger and he would probably struggle to make the Qcup side. Nightingale, Uate, Jennings, Gagai, fucking Manu....The list of better outside backs in the NRL then Maranta is pretty much comprehensive. I am convinced that the only reason Wayne persists with him is because he values Marantas ability under the high ball, which is pretty much his only redeeming trait.

Last edited:

Maranta isn't even an enigma. He is just clearly shithouse. He is comparatively slow compared to the best wingers in the game, he doesn't have any natural skill or finesse to help him overcome that. But his worst trait of all, and we saw it when he made that break against the Cows, ran about 75 metres then practically surrendered in the tackle, is that he panics under pressure. He constantly looks like he is scared shitless whenever a defender is running at him.

He is AT BEST a journeyman winger and he would probably struggle to make the Qcup side. Nightingale, Uate, Jennings, Gagai, fucking Manu....The list of better outside backs in the NRL then Maranta is pretty much comprehensive. I am convinced that the only reason Wayne persists with him is because he values Marantas ability under the high ball, which is pretty much his only redeeming trait.

Duh?

Everyone knows this

There is no doubt this kid is working hard to justify his place in the team, but it's the small details that keep betraying him.

Today, he essentially cost us 12 points, 6 we didn't get in our favour by grounding the ball when standing outside play, 6 when he didn't jump for the ball and allowed Vatuvei to bat it back for Kata's try.

I won't crucify him on the defensive lapse, as he has been quite good in that aspect, and that happens to everyone, but I can't say the same about his attacking blunder.
People argue that there is no way he could have known Vatuvei was going to fail like that, and that wasn't an easy try to score, which is all true... but it still does not excuse him grounding the ball while standing outside the field of play!
Whether he took an extra step to get back in play, let the other Bronco storming in claim the try, or even let a Warrior take the ball out of play, it would've been a better outcome. Now, all he did was give the Warriors a 20 mtr restart. :noidea:

That is my biggest beef with Lachlan... his complete lack of awareness, composure and instinct when in position to score, is just the worst I've ever seen at this level.

It certainly belongs on the lowlights reel if only because it looks so silly but it's actually a smart play considering.

It's a technical rule and I'm not sure if Gilbert explained it but since Maranta was in touch and Vatuvei was the last player to touch it, it was considered knocked dead by the Warriors.

Which is why the Broncos received the goal line drop out (that Hodges knocked on).

Of course Maranta didn't intend for it to happen and considering the precedent set by the Reed situation earlier, I thought the Broncos were fortunate to escape without copping a penalty but it isn't as bad as what people are saying.

It certainly belongs on the lowlights reel if only because it looks so silly but it's actually a smart play considering.

It's a technical rule and I'm not sure if Gilbert explained it but since Maranta was in touch and Vatuvei was the last player to touch it, it was considered knocked dead by the Warriors.

Which is why the Broncos received the goal line drop out (that Hodges knocked on).

Of course Maranta didn't intend for it to happen and considering the precedent set by the Reed situation earlier, I thought the Broncos were fortunate to escape without copping a penalty but it isn't as bad as what people are saying.
What is this about...?
Did you forget a sentence in between or am I missing something in relation to Reed?

P.S. I cannot understand how it could be considered a smart play, even under that rule, unless a Warriors player was about to swoop on the ball and run away with it. And I highly doubt Maranta was thinking of that when he grounded the ball.

A Warriors player was ruled to have pushed Reed in the back despite replays showing there was little in it.

Similar deal here with Maranta 'pushing' Vatuvei off the ball except the video referees clearly had more vision.

Anyways, as it turned out it was an each way bet from Maranta and the worst result was that the Broncos received a repeat set.

Last edited:
A Warriors player was ruled to have pushed Reed in the back despite replays showing there was little in it.

Similar deal here with Maranta 'pushing' Vatuvei off the ball except the video referees clearly had more vision.

Anyways, as it turned out it was an each way bet from Maranta and the worst result was that the Broncos received a repeat set.
Ah right, forgot about that push.

Speaking of pushing, I thought he was very lucky when he got away with worse by tackling Vatuvei (from memory) in a clear professional fault. In the end a great result, as he probably saved a certain try against us and didn't disadvantage us by having one less man on the field.

Let's agree to disagree on the ball grounding incident, as it was nothing more than a brain snap imo, as he so often gets when in position to score.

He's not the coach killer player he used to be but he still looks like a ring in whenever he's given a sniff of being in the spotlight.

Let's agree to disagree on the ball grounding incident, as it was nothing more than a brain snap imo, as he so often gets when in position to score.

I'm fine with you holding it against him, just pointing out the rule and that it in fact lead to a decent result for us either way.

Smart wasn't the best choice of words but I was really just amazed by the rules in that situation, had anyone else actually heard of that interpretation in the NRL?

I'd say the referee's decision not to send Maranta to the sin-bin was the worst decision of the entire game.

I'm fine with you holding it against him, just pointing out the rule and that it in fact lead to a decent result for us either way.

Smart wasn't the best choice of words but I was really just amazed by the rules in that situation, had anyone else actually heard of that interpretation in the NRL?

I'd say the referee's decision not to send Maranta to the sin-bin was the worst decision of the entire game.

I've heard of it.

Round 4, 2009 against the Dragons. Soward kicked the ball to the sideline and Winterstein thought it was a 40/20 attempt so he played at it. He had his foot in touch when he grabbed it, but it was Broncos feed because of the same reason Broncos got the goal line dropout.

I'm surprised the Warriors were baffled by the decision. Although, that may have been because of the shove not being ruled a penalty.

This is why you're the king of kings SF.

So that would have been six years ago if you strictly followed the Broncos - good luck remembering that. Personally, watching it from the stands was enough and my memory of the game has been limited to two moments. Folau's opening try proving to be a hinderance more than a help which affected us a few times and De Vere's stint.

So SF, where's the Benny Hill themed Maranta video?

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.