Is Lachlan Maranta Really That Bad?

Same rule as catching a bomb on the full with your foot over the line or a kick-off with a foot past the dead ball line.

I would love to see a video of all Marantas NRL tries. I literally can't recall him having to run more than 15m or beat a player to score.

I would love to see a video of all Marantas NRL tries. I literally can't recall him having to run more than 15m or beat a player to score.
There was this one time ................................ And then he woke up

I don't have time to put a video together but let's review Maranta's NRL career for a moment.

So far, Lachlan has played 46 games and scored 16 tries.

Breaking it down to a year-by-year context that equates to...

2012 - 7 games - 2 tries
2013 - 18 games - 5 tries
2014 - 17 games - 5 tries
2015 - 4 games - 4 tries

So there's 16 moments to choose from the following matches...

Round 14 2012
Round 21 2012
Round 1 2013
Round 6 2013
Round 10 2013
Round 11 2013
Round 16 2013
Round 1 2014
Round 3 2014
Round 8 2014
Round 12 2014
Round 24 2014
Round 2 2015
Round 3 2015
Round 4 2015

I think we all remember the tries from this year? Johnny on the spot, and basically the recipient of three lovely passes from JK. Sweet? Sweet.

Now for the individual moments

R14 2012 - Broncos spread the ball right on the Roosters 20, cut-out pass from Wallace finds Beale who is in a 2 on 1 situation, draws the defence and puts Maranta over untouched.

Round 21 2012 - Claimed a bomb into the corner and forced his way over when the game was basically over.

Round 1 2013 - Completing a well orchestrated passage of play where Hodges drew in two before finding Maranta with a well executed flick pass.

Round 6 2013 - Prince gathers a typical Parker offload and sums the situation up perfectly with a well executed cut-out pass that finds Maranta who goes over untouched.

Round 10 2013 - Granville puts in a grubber, the Titans players fall over and it bounces up for Maranta who simply has to gather it and plant it to score.

Round 11 2013 - With little left to play, a brawl erupts dragging in a few players from both the Bulldogs and Broncos. From the ensuing confusion, Parker darts the blind from dummy half, finds Hodges who puts Maranta over in the corner to basically score a consolation try.

Round 16 2013 - Prince puts in a grubber behind Vatuvei and Maranta is just able to plant it without going into touch.

Round 1 2014 - With the game in the balance, Hunt shifts the ball out to Copley who swivels past one defender, finds Gillett with a pass before Matty hands the ball off for Maranta in the corner. There was a question of obstruction in the lead up but the call went Brisbane's way.

Round 3 2014 - Early into the second half, Brisbane go down the blind where they have a 3 on 1 and all Hunt does is pass the ball onto Maranta who dives over.

Round 8 2014 - Brisbane work their trademark second man play with Hodges putting Maranta over in the corner. Maranta does reasonably well to get the ball over despite the attention from the oncoming defence.

Round 12 2014 - Sea Eagles look to have contained Copley only a few metres out from the try line but somehow Copley got the ball free to Maranta who picked it up off the ground and placed it over to score an easy try. Good awareness from Maranta to recognise the ball was free and beat about 3 Manly defenders to it but not exactly difficult either.

Round 24 2014 - Second man play from Hodges who fires a cut-out pass to Maranta 10m out from the Knights line to score.

So in summary, he's never scored a try 20m out from the line.

... and rarely in traffic or under too much pressure.

Thanks for investigating Pete!

Obviously I don't like Maranta, so I won't spend too much time on how absurd it is that after almost 50 games he's never scored a flashy try.

I'm in no way surprised that he hasn't scored 20m out. When I said literally I did mean literally! What I am surprised by is that only one was a bomb. Catching bombs is Marantas only real valuable skill so I find it off that we don't seem to ever bomb for him. I mean, as long as it doesn't land too close to the sideline it should work fairly well?

Round 12 2014 - Sea Eagles look to have contained Copley only a few metres out from the try line but somehow Copley got the ball free to Maranta who picked it up off the ground and placed it over to score an easy try. Good awareness from Maranta to recognise the ball was free and beat about 3 Manly defenders to it but not exactly difficult either.

So in summary, he's never scored a try 20m out from the line.

I remember this one. I think Maranta pretty much jumped over Copley. It was down the other end of the field so caught most of it on replay.

It'd be interesting too see how often Maranta has been passed the ball 20m out from the line with or without the defence having been drawn over. Most of the ball he receives is deep in our own half, infield and with a defensive line in front of him or a highball.

He nearly slipped through the line against the Warriors. (In our own half and on the wrong side of the field) instead of appearing to hit a brick wall like he usually does.

Obviously I don't like Maranta, so I won't spend too much time on how absurd it is that after almost 50 games he's never scored a flashy try.

I'm in no way surprised that he hasn't scored 20m out. When I said literally I did mean literally! What I am surprised by is that only one was a bomb. Catching bombs is Marantas only real valuable skill so I find it off that we don't seem to ever bomb for him. I mean, as long as it doesn't land too close to the sideline it should work fairly well?
Midfield bombs to be safe :laugh:

It was a really scrappy effort but outside of his try against Parra in 2012, probably his best individual effort which says a fair bit.

On the brightside, there could be something to his 4 tries from 4 games stat. Sure, a lot of them have been pretty simple but that consistency could result in confidence which is incredibly important for wingers.

Does anyone remember that Maranta meme that [MENTION=8215]Morkel[/MENTION] made a few years back?

Please tell me there is a backup of that somewhere.

I'll be the odd man out. I like the fact that Maranta is relatively safe under the high ball on our line. A try saved is ....

Does anyone remember that Maranta meme that @Morkel made a few years back?

Please tell me there is a backup of that somewhere.

No I don't!!! Someone find it, pronto!

As for that dead ball line thing in the weekend, I probably am being harsh. But I give Maranta no benefit of the doubt when it comes to sidelines. He just has no awareness of where they are. In fact, it's not even the first time this year he's put his foot out the moment before grounding the ball as he did it in the nines!

Last edited by a moderator:
No I don't!!! Someone find it, pronto!

As for that dead ball line thing in the weekend, I probably am being harsh. But I give Maranta no benefit of the doubt when it comes to sidelines. He just has no awareness of where they are. In fact, it's not even the first time this year he's put his foot out the moment before grounding the ball as he did it in the nines!

Geez thats hard to watch. The Broncos got destroyed.
So Whitchurch scores 1 try and earns a spot in the opening games. This game didnt do Parcell or any of them any favours.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe this is already Maranta's fourth season in first grade.

Why on earth is that important? A try is a try right? I'll take them any way they come.

Why on earth is that important? A try is a try right? I'll take them any way they come.

Exactly....some of these comments are pretty ridiculous.

I couldn't give two ***** if he never scores a try more than 20 m out .....as long as he keeps scoring them from 20m in.

Right?

Active Now

• Fozz
  • TimWhatley
  • Harry Sack
  • Old Mate
  • Lurker
  • Porthoz
  • broncos4life
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Swordfish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.