Jack Bird Discussion

It could be something as simple as he aggravated the injury during the PM XIII game, or it could be that the Sharks are obfuscating the issue.

I cannot believe for a second that an unclear scan wouldn't be repeated at a professional club, and I am hoping that most medical professionals take their jobs and duty of care seriously, although given the Sharks peptide history, you could seriously doubt that is the case within their medical ranks.

That said, the Sharks have made statements in regards to their dealings with the Broncos medical staff, which are either false, and they will be called on it, or true, which would make the Broncos medical staff almost as incompetent as them, assuming Wayne's version is true...

I was watching a few highlight videos of Bird and he doesn’t really have a whole lot of speed but he’s strength is crazy. If Milford can put Bird 1 on 1 with another player close to the line he will score for sure. He also has a great little flick pass and can put his winger over for a try.

I was watching a few highlight videos of Bird and he doesn’t really have a whole lot of speed but he’s strength is crazy. If Milford can put Bird 1 on 1 with another player close to the line he will score for sure. He also has a great little flick pass and can put his winger over for a try.

His ability to get between two defenders and pop an offload is what will make him great. We need better support players backing up for offloads and with Lodges short passing game he always needs a guy running with him.

BRISBANE’S $3.5 million recruit Jack Bird says he is under pressure to succeed next season and has pledged to unleash the best form of his career to help deliver another Broncos premiership.
In his first interview as a Bronco, Bird opened up about his reasons for quitting the Sharks and the bitter feud between Brisbane and Cronulla over the shoulder operation that will delay his 2018 season.
The attacking dynamo also ended months of speculation over his playing position, outlining plans to wear the No. 3 jumper made famous by Broncos legend Steve Renouf.
“The Broncos is a new chapter for me,” Bird said.
“You haven’t seen the best of me in the NRL.”
POINT TO PROVE
IN the past five years, a string of Broncos off-season recruits have failed to deliver.
Scott Prince, Martin Kennedy, James Gavet, Greg Eden and Mitch Garbutt never reached great heights at Red Hill.
Then there’s Ben Barba, perhaps the biggest recruitment flop in Broncos history after his forgettable one-season stint in 2014.
Bird will be one of Brisbane’s highest-paid players next season on an estimated $800,000. The Broncos are paying for premiership quality and Bird, who won a title with Cronulla in 2016, wants to break Brisbane’s 12-year drought.
“I know the Broncos expect a lot of their recruits,” he said.
“I’ve looked at our roster and I believe we can win a grand final here.
“I have signed here for four years and during that time I’d love to get another premiership ring.
“I’m looking forward to working with Wayne Bennett. I have known him since his days at the Dragons, but I was in the junior grades then. He has been very good as a mentor to me since I’ve signed.
“My goal is to help the Broncos win a grand final. I want to play the best football of my career at this club.”
1223d32b8706b6ccdbc8b7d36c8d31de

Jack Bird is the latest big-name recruit to join Brisbane.
QUITTING CRONULLA
ON the surface, Bird and Cronulla seemed a perfect match.
In three seasons in the Shire, Bird made his NRL debut, broke into the NSW Origin team and helped Cronulla smash a 49-year premiership hoodoo. But after 66 games for the club, Bird became restless.
“To be honest, I felt I was stagnating at the Sharks,” he said.
“I felt I could get better as a player. I wasn’t playing well towards the end at the Sharks, so I felt I needed a change.
“Maybe the Sharks’ structures weren’t suited to me. I had a good two years there but last year I went downhill. I was probably a bit stale. I wasn’t enjoying my football.
“I just look at the Broncos’ style and they play a different structure and style of football to the Sharks.
“I’m hoping they can inject me into the game a bit more. The Broncos are the right fit for me.”
038040a3c0fc0a6ee2e489bbad550d91

Jack Bird helped Cronulla win the 2016 NRL grand final. Picture: Gregg Porteous
THE SHOULDER BUST-UP
BIRD is expected to miss the first month of the 2018 premiership after having shoulder surgery last month.
Broncos coach Bennett slammed the Sharks for failing to advise Bird he required an operation. Cronulla medicos backed their rehabilitation plan for Bird.
“I’m disappointed at the Sharks,” said Bird, speaking for the first time about the issue.
“I had a good talk to the Broncos’ surgeon about my shoulder and he made it clear I needed the operation.
“The Sharks said you couldn’t see the damage on the first scan but I was disappointed they didn’t send me for another scan using the dye, which would have shown up the damage.
“They did what they had to do. I don’t want to be bagging the Sharks, I’m looking forward now, but the fact I eventually needed surgery, it has set me back a month. There’s nothing I can do now.
00d369d3b79039b44dd145a8eccfa8ab

Jack Bird is expected to miss the opening month of the 2018 season after having shoulder surgery. Picture: Liam Kidston.
“They believed they were doing the right thing, but I kept telling them I was having pain. It was sore when I first injured my shoulder and I missed five games.
“When I came back for the semis, it wasn’t hurting as much, but I was still getting pain doing weights and bench pressing. All the ligaments at the back of my shoulder were torn and the bone was coming in and out pushing against my back.
“I’m a little bit disappointed at how things have started at the Broncos. I was looking forward to having a real big crack in pre-season with a view to playing in Round 1 against my junior club the Dragons.
“Hopefully I can get back quicker than expected. I will probably miss four games but if I do my rehab right, I could be back in time for Round 1.”
34c8bae5b70f536c5bd078b9741f745c

Jack Bird is set to continue playing in the centres for Brisbane. Picture: Gregg Porteous
CENTRE STAGE
BIRD has been linked with the five-eighth and lock positions at the Broncos but says he is excited at the prospect of forging a centre strike force with James Roberts.
“I will more than likely start in the centres,” he said.
“I’m still not 100 per cent sure because Wayne Bennett was away with the World Cup, but if he wants me to play centre, that’s fine with me.
“All the talk about me not liking centre at the Sharks was a misunderstanding. I’m happy to play anywhere at the Broncos. I like having the ball in my hands. I’m not a ball hog, but if I’m not in the game, I do tend to go missing.
“James Roberts got a lot of ball here last season and I think the Broncos can do the same for me. I have struck up a good friendship with Jimmy, so hopefully we can be a good centre pairing on the field.”
96480685bc2183c079bb30cecfc6a6f0

Jack Bird hopes to continue his NSW State of Origin career. Picture: Brett Costello
ARTHRITIS BATTLE
AT age 16, Bird was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. It is an auto-immune disorder that can cause bone erosion and joint deformity.
Bird turns 23 in March and is confident his career will not be cut short.
“My arthritis is good now, I’m in remission with it,” he said.
“I still have injections to keep it under control. I don’t like talking about it too much because I get asked about it all the time, but I’m really happy with how my body is holding up.
“I want to play Origin again next year. I don’t think I’ll be popular with Queensland and Broncos fans if I’m wearing a Blues jersey, but that’s OK, I can handle it.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/8c7586e52ee00be9e17e18d666bf7284

is that the 19th different figure we have seen reported for Bird's contract

is that the 19th different figure we have seen reported for Bird's contract

At least this one makes sense. I mean $800k over 4 years equals $3.5m, right?

Do these guys even get paid for writing this sort of garbage? You’d love to be their boss though...

Editor: We’ll pay you a starting salary of $2k a fortnight. Now there are 2 fortnights each month, 3 months per quarter and 4 quarters per year, so overall that means your total salary will be $35k a year! Sweet?

Sports journalist: (Thoughtfully chews on a crayon for a moment...) Sweet!

Last edited:
At least this one makes sense. I mean $800k over 4 years equals $3.5m, right?

Do these guys even get paid for writing this sort of garbage? You’d love to be their boss though...

Editor: We’ll pay you a starting salary of $2k a fortnight. Now there are 2 fortnights each month, 3 months per quarter and 4 quarters per year, so overall that means your total salary will be $35k a year! Sweet?

Sports journalist: (Thoughtfully chews on a crayon for a moment...) Sweet!

the last article was $3m which is 750k a year over 4 years (which was the initial figure the media tweeted before jacking up the value)

While i still think he will end up at lock, his lack of a pre season and no time to make combinations with players makes him playing centre a sensible choice. By his own admission though, he needs to be around the ball a lot or he tends to go missing. We need to get him on the ball more than we do Jimmy.

His ability to get between two defenders and pop an offload is what will make him great. We need better support players backing up for offloads and with Lodges short passing game he always needs a guy running with him.

Enter A.Milford.

Anthony Milford is your guy. Remember 2015 Blair offloading to 2015 Milford. Make it happen Walters, please make this happen.

Enter A.Milford.

Anthony Milford is your guy. Remember 2015 Blair offloading to 2015 Milford. Make it happen Walters, please make this happen.

Milfs been too gassed to support for the last few seasons, need a good 14 or some zippy wingers looking for work.

“I’m disappointed at the Sharks - I had a good talk to the Broncos’ surgeon about my shoulder and he made it clear I needed the operation.” Bird told The Courier Mail.

“The Sharks said you couldn’t see the damage on the first scan but I was disappointed they didn’t send me for another scan using the dye, which would have shown up the damage.

“They did what they had to do and I don’t want to be bagging the Sharks, I’m looking forward now - but the fact I eventually needed surgery, it has set me back a month.”

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/leag...-of-shoulder-injury/me77c400tigk1022u8chfe67e

And of cause Rothfield is on NRL 360 defending the Sharks action. Hack that he is.
He's not even defending anymore he's changed tack to just flat out hating Bird.

Although he did try to say the doctor was Australia's leading shoulder surgeon who fixed Billy's shoulder... guess he enjoyed that so much he decided to fix it twice

He's not even defending anymore he's changed tack to just flat out hating Bird.

Although he did try to say the doctor was Australia's leading shoulder surgeon who fixed Billy's shoulder... guess he enjoyed that so much he decided to fix it twice

Yep. Australia’s leading surgeon that gets an unreadable x-ray and doesn’t order another or one using dye.

Incredible.

So Bird hasn’t joined us due to not being happy playing centre judging by his quotes. And depending who you believe the money was around the ball park of what Cronulla could offer so he hasn’t joined us for the money. Does that mean we can officially put his move down to he got sick of Paul Gallen hogging all ball?

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Santa
  • Wolfie
  • Sproj
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.