THE COACH Kevin Walters

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
There is no doubt that this fanbase has a sense of entitlement that you just should never have when following any team. It's a criticism I read quite often from fans of other clubs and it's hard to say it's not a valid criticism.

There isn't a single coach in the game who could have turned us into a top 4 side after being a genuine wooden spoon team all within the space of a season and a half (or whatever it was before this thread got tossed up), we just had too many problems. I know the Cowboys went from the shithouse to the penthouse pretty quickly but their salary cap wasn't completely upside down, they didn't have to release players early.

Anyone that was watching us play and wasn't getting too influenced by the result could see Kev was turning things around, the effort and application was there where in years gone by, it hadn't been there.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
It was real interesting hearing denan Kemp talk about being in the coaches box.

Says its a really well balanced and calm team and coaching staff. He also said Walters was calling plays and counting numbers in real time.

He was an amazing player thats knowledge of the game has been hugely undervalued by the media as they talk about all their new "next great" coaches (eg ciraldo fitzgibbon). 6 premierships, 7 gfs, 1 as captain, 20 origins. His coaching career has really shown how under rated he was as a player..

I think the coaching restructure after our collapse has been a huge reason for our improvement. I dont think we get the year we have had if he doesnt get the help. Its made him a much better coach by doing less. He gets to do what he is good at, and lets others do what they are good at. Thats a very Wayne Bennett thing to do. He also had that call from Wayne when he was getting over emotional.

He's changed my opinion of him. I dont think he would have been close to a premiership when he was trying to do everything himself. Now i think he can do it.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I get so sick of Bennett getting credit for doing jack all. Kevvie is the one doing a great job and it isn't because of Wayne. Wayne needs to get his own side in order and not hijack praise very, very much earned by Kevvie.

Whats Wayne getting credit for? Picking up on something that wasnt in Kevvies nature and having a chat to him about it? Kevvie himself said he talks to Wayne about things. Think you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
He gets to do what he is good at, and lets others do what they are good at. Thats a very Wayne Bennett thing to do. He also had that call from Wayne when he was getting over emotional.

This is being played out in the media and because Kevvie never toots his own horn, unlike Wayne, he always deflects credit to others, who as Wayne always does, laps it up.

Volvo Driver

Volvo Driver

QCup Player
Jul 9, 2020
It was real interesting hearing denan Kemp talk about being in the coaches box.

Says its a really well balanced and calm team and coaching staff. He also said Walters was calling plays and counting numbers in real time.

He was an amazing player thats knowledge of the game has been hugely undervalued by the media as they talk about all their new "next great" coaches (eg ciraldo fitzgibbon). 6 premierships, 7 gfs, 1 as captain, 20 origins. His coaching career has really shown how under rated he was as a player..
Kempy does a billion podcasts a week. Which one was it in?

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Think you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

That was my exact reaction when I found out Wayne was getting praise for Kevvie's success.

This is all Kev, all of it. He has passion, he can get a bit emotional, big deal. It's not a bad thing.

TimWhatley

TimWhatley

QCup Player
Dec 1, 2019
There isn't a single coach in the game who could have turned us into a top 4 side after being a genuine wooden spoon team all within the space of a season and a half (or whatever it was before this thread got tossed up), we just had too many problems. I know the Cowboys went from the shithouse to the penthouse pretty quickly but their salary cap wasn't completely upside down, they didn't have to release players early.
I am always sceptical of teams that go from the shithouse to the penthouse in one off season. Case and point, Sharks and Cows last season. They are both worse this year and fighting for the 8.

I've seen gradual improvement under Kevvie which is hopefully the sustainable type.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
That was my exact reaction when I found out Wayne was getting praise for Kevvie's success.

This is all Kev, all of it. He has passion, he can get a bit emotional, big deal. It's not a bad thing.

As i said before, Kevvies manager was the one who bought the whole thing up about the chat with Wayne. Not Wayne. Some people are that anti Wayne Bennett that people are having a go at him now for something he didnt even bring to the media's attention. Plenty of things to have a go at old Clint for, but this time this isnt one of them

As far as it being all Kevvie, thats extremely unfair on the staff around him. We collapsed for 2 years under his watch but now its going brilliantly its all Kevvie? What he was doing wasnt working. Now it is because he has taken a step back, got in people to help him in areas he isnt good at which frees up his time to do the things he brings better than others. Whether that was Kevvies idea, or somebody else's it was a stroke of genius because its transformed us as a team.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
As i said before, Kevvies manager was the one who bought the whole thing up about the chat with Wayne. Not Wayne. Some people are that anti Wayne Bennett that people are having a go at him now for something he didnt even bring to the media's attention. Plenty of things to have a go at old Clint for, but this time this isnt one of them

As far as it being all Kevvie, thats extremely unfair on the staff around him. We collapsed for 2 years under his watch but now its going brilliantly its all Kevvie? What he was doing wasnt working. Now it is because he has taken a step back, got in people to help him in areas he isnt good at which frees up his time to do the things he brings better than others. Whether that was Kevvies idea, or somebody else's it was a stroke of genius because its transformed us as a team.
wonder how much is DD and ikins input? and identifying that its ok to delegate

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

Yep Wayne would never work through someone else.

Active Now

• Manlyman
  • Sproj
  • ivanhungryjak
  • sooticus
  • I bleed Maroon
  • The Don
  • Old Mate
  • Bucking Beads
  • Wolfie
  • Strop
  • Jeza23
  • Foordy
  • Griffo
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • RolledOates
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Allo
  • Jazza
  • Browny
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.