OFFICIAL Kevvie Gets a Two Year Extension

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Great news - stability is key and players like Carrigan, Arthurs, Mariner resigning recently shows the playing group are smelling what Kev is stepping in.

Does this mean that 'will Kev survive?' thread can finally be laid to rest?
Ah, I would give r about 20 odd rounds before getting too carried away

ChewThePhatt

ChewThePhatt

NRL Player
Contributor
Dec 28, 2015
Great news - stability is key and players like Carrigan, Arthurs, Mariner resigning recently shows the playing group are smelling what Kev is stepping in.

Does this mean that 'will Kev survive?' thread can finally be laid to rest?
Agreed.
Kev is more than just a survivor, he's a dead set proven champion. He's a winner & he's proving it again.
From a broken club with a shitty fractured playing group getting the spoon to what we are seeing now is amazing.

To do it in just 2yrs is outstanding.

I know it's a long season & I, like others, am still struggling with the PTS from late last year.
I'm also aware that the turn around isn't 100% Kev. The upstairs clean out has also been instrumental.

Credit where it's due though, Kev is killing it. He's learning on the run & is constantly improving/making better decisions.
Most importantly, we're winning!

Proofs in the puddin.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I'll get shit for this, but i dont really care. Its good they are rewarding people and i get its a balancing act, but i still think handing out these contract upgrades after 5 good games is a bit rash. Not saying it might not pay off, but at the same time, if we suddenly collapse again, or using Jesse as an example, if Arthars cant maintain his decent performances when we arent playing well, people are going to be talking about how stupid we are for handing out these contracts.

Cant see the rush to extend Kevvie yet. He's not leaving to another NRL coach head coaching job so i cant see why we dont see how the year pans out. If we win the grand final, i'd be giving him a bigger contract, if we collapse, then his job is on the line.

Arthars is a bit different. We had to decide if we want to lock him down now or risk the open market. Personally, i'd have left it until after Origin.

ChewThePhatt

ChewThePhatt

NRL Player
Contributor
Dec 28, 2015
He's a ****.

I'm talking about Badel btw.
Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I'll get shit for this, but i dont really care. Its good they are rewarding people and i get its a balancing act, but i still think handing out these contract upgrades after 5 good games is a bit rash. Not saying it might not pay off, but at the same time, if we suddenly collapse again, or using Jesse as an example, if Arthars cant maintain his decent performances when we arent playing well, people are going to be talking about how stupid we are for handing out these contracts.

Cant see the rush to extend Kevvie yet. He's not leaving to another NRL coach head coaching job so i cant see why we dont see how the year pans out. If we win the grand final, i'd be giving him a bigger contract, if we collapse, then his job is on the line.

Arthars is a bit different. We had to decide if we want to lock him down now or risk the open market. Personally, i'd have left it until after Origin.
A 3yr deal is lower risk though... if by the end of next year he's struggling to live up to it... it's only 2yrs left on the deal and easier to move on.

The extension to Mariner is a bit more of a risk, but might be a calculated risk where the coaching staff are seeing something in him and want to lock him down.

Most other extensions are 2yr or so... locking down the proven guns like Patty for the long deals, but only look to maintain a rolling 3-4yr roster means we're not locked into poor deals for long periods like Bird 4yr, Milf 4-5yr, etc. which cant be moved on.

Kotoni is really the only bad one we've got at the moment, but he's starting to come good this year and he's one we needed to lock down on the back of the spoon season

A

Astro

QCup Player
Jun 27, 2014

I think it just gives everyone stability. Players and extended coaching staff.

The higher ups are obviously happy with the progress the team has made since Kevin took over. I believe we have improved in every metric year on year (going by averages).

The whole team certainly looks happier and it's translating to the field.

Also regardless of your contract your job is always on the line. That goes for players and head coaches a like.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
A 3yr deal is lower risk though... if by the end of next year he's struggling to live up to it... it's only 2yrs left on the deal and easier to move on.

The extension to Mariner is a bit more of a risk, but might be a calculated risk where the coaching staff are seeing something in him and want to lock him down.

Most other extensions are 2yr or so... locking down the proven guns like Patty for the long deals, but only look to maintain a rolling 3-4yr roster means we're not locked into poor deals for long periods like Bird 4yr, Milf 4-5yr, etc. which cant be moved on.

Kotoni is really the only bad one we've got at the moment, but he's starting to come good this year and he's one we needed to lock down on the back of the spoon season

Its not the length of the contract, i think 3 years is fine. I just cant see why we needed to rush it. Origin is finished mid July? I think that gives us a better overall picture of how he is going. This is just my own personal preference, but i like to see players do well over a longer period of time before handing out contracts.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Its not the length of the contract, i think 3 years is fine. I just cant see why we needed to rush it. Origin is finished mid July? I think that gives us a better overall picture of how he is going. This is just my own personal preference, but i like to see players do well over a longer period of time before handing out contracts.
I think he could've been signed elsewhere at that point.

It can all depend on the salary as well... if we've signed him on starters money for 3yr but he could be depth than that would be trouble, but if he's on a depth wage and 3yr then it will be decent and they wanted to sort out before someone else could swoop in.

And if Arthars ends up signed elsewhere then we have to look at re-signing a Pereira, EQW, etc. who arent at the same level.

kman

kman

QCup Player
Aug 8, 2021
When we originally re-signed Walters I was a bit worried but the effort he's put in and the improvement he's made to side, he 100% deserves to be re-signed and rewarded.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I think he could've been signed elsewhere at that point.

It can all depend on the salary as well... if we've signed him on starters money for 3yr but he could be depth than that would be trouble, but if he's on a depth wage and 3yr then it will be decent and they wanted to sort out before someone else could swoop in.

And if Arthars ends up signed elsewhere then we have to look at re-signing a Pereira, EQW, etc. who arent at the same level.

Can he sign elsewhere before mid july?

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Mick_Hancock

Mick_Hancock

NRL Player
Feb 26, 2023
Jack Bird, Anthony Milford, Darius Boyd, Jordan Kahu and Matt Lodge enter the chat
Faaarrrkkk… this really picks at old wounds.
I think we all have PTSD from these. I always remember Bird and Milf.. the others too 🤮

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
I don't know what more a coach can do, we were the worst team in the NRL when Kevvie took the reigns, the worst. Getting belted every 2nd week. It can take teams 5-6 years to come back from that, several still haven't.

Now look at us, top of the comp and it's not like we've been taking on plodders, okay sure.. we're getting a few easier games now but initially we had to take down Penrith in Penrith, Cows (a top 4 side from last season) and then the undefeated Dolphins.

Extension? you're damn right he deserves it.

The Fisherman

The Fisherman

QCup Player
Aug 16, 2020
Agreed.
Kev is more than just a survivor, he's a dead set proven champion. He's a winner & he's proving it again.
From a broken club with a shitty fractured playing group getting the spoon to what we are seeing now is amazing.

To do it in just 2yrs is outstanding.

I know it's a long season & I, like others, am still struggling with the PTS from late last year.
I'm also aware that the turn around isn't 100% Kev. The upstairs clean out has also been instrumental.

Credit where it's due though, Kev is killing it. He's learning on the run & is constantly improving/making better decisions.
Most importantly, we're winning!

Proofs in the puddin.
Bennet once said that if you can get the front office right and they don't interfere in the football department to much your halfway there

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Alright, take a walk Einstein.

You keep arguing to dumb thing’s trying to prove you’re the smart one in the room when it’s clear as a day, you’re not. I can’t stoop to your level and argue with your abysmal take on things.
Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards
I'll try to explain it to you like you're Anthony Milford.

You're given a bucket of 50 pieces of KFC. You eat 40.
Was that a 50 piece bucket or a 40 piece bucket?

This is how basic it is.

Active Now

• Huge
  • Foordy
  • RolledOates
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Allo
  • Harry Sack
  • Justwin
  • winslow_wong
  • theshed
  • Bucking Beads
  • ell.d33
  • Wolfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.