RUMOUR McCullough to the Sea Eagles

Macca is a good player who is still young but I feel he has stagnated here. If he goes to the Eagles, he might go on to become a superstar that I don't feel he will here because he's too comfortable. I'm not against this at all because while he is great defensively, he is extremely flawed in his most important role of service speed and accuracy.

This is a terrific point, Sproj and well worth discussing as I feel this gets glossed over. I mentioned it in another thread that it would be very difficult to improve if you are already the best option. What incentive is there really?

I also agree that he looks stagnated. I'm not convinced it's because he's not a good player. Some people just get comfortable if they've been doing the same job for years. Happens in all walks of life. Look at Brent Tate. Arguably became a better player after he left.

His tremendous defensive efforts are great, no doubts there. Probably doesn't get mentioned enough when we are on the end of blow-out scores. It's easy to forget the guys that made the tackles. I would sacrifice it though if it meant he was faster and more accurate. Look at Isaac Luke. Suspect defense but easily a better hooker than McCullough.

If Macca is so **** why would the sea eagles be offering him big money and dumping ballin?

Good point. Can I ask you something? Apart from his defense, which even the worst of the anti-Macca brigade acknowledge is good, what exactly does he bring to the team?

You're obviously a big fan of his and I remember you tipped him to have a big year in the predictions thread. I've noticed you're pretty quick to call out negative posts but you rarely seem to offer up any positive points. Is it purely because we don't have a ready-made replacement lined up?

If that's not the reason, why is he worth keeping?

We should trade.

McCullough for Ballin.

Yes please .....and do it quick !!!!

Don't give the Manly turds time to change their mind. It's sounds like their still in shock after losing DCE.......

This is a terrific point, Sproj and well worth discussing as I feel this gets glossed over. I mentioned it in another thread that it would be very difficult to improve if you are already the best option. What incentive is there really?

I also agree that he looks stagnated. I'm not convinced it's because he's not a good player. Some people just get comfortable if they've been doing the same job for years. Happens in all walks of life. Look at Brent Tate. Arguably became a better player after he left.

His tremendous defensive efforts are great, no doubts there. Probably doesn't get mentioned enough when we are on the end of blow-out scores. It's easy to forget the guys that made the tackles. I would sacrifice it though if it meant he was faster and more accurate. Look at Isaac Luke. Suspect defense but easily a better hooker than McCullough.

Good point. Can I ask you something? Apart from his defense, which even the worst of the anti-Macca brigade acknowledge is good, what exactly does he bring to the team?

You're obviously a big fan of his and I remember you tipped him to have a big year in the predictions thread. I've noticed you're pretty quick to call out negative posts but you rarely seem to offer up any positive points. Is it purely because we don't have a ready-made replacement lined up?

If that's not the reason, why is he worth keeping?

We have no one better and in the foreseeable future don't appear do be able to get someone better... It's pretty simple really.

Macca is currently our best option, defensively he is fantastic but has areas to work on, I don't know if he will kick on but we can't just get rid of him with no one better to play

They really are imploding if they're chasing McCullough.

Tbh I doubt the Ceo is going to come out and say yeah we are looking to replace you, before they have someone else's signature. Denials from manly mean sweet fa anymore.

Tbh I doubt the Ceo is going to come out and say yeah we are looking to replace you, before they have someone else's signature. Denials from manly mean sweet fa anymore.

This is exactly right. While in this case I reckon his is just paper talk and maccas manager drumming up interest, I can never understand why people think a denial from the CEO means anything, as if he would say anything different.

"Yeah Matt we are looking to replace you, but keep giving 100% and hang around in case we can't sign anyone to replace you. Peace!"

McCullough really isn't that bad. He just isn't the Cameron Smith clone that everyone has expected him to be.

McCullough really isn't that bad. He just isn't the Cameron Smith clone that everyone has expected him to be.

It takes a Titans supportor to actually talk some sense about McCullough

He's pretty bad offensively speaking tbh man, his defence is great, no questions about that, he's probably in the top 3 in terms of defensive capabilities and work load, but his service is so slow, he's extremely predictable and he has a non existent kicking game.

I don't think he is the worst in the world and he is pretty good defensively. But he has had so much time to be develop and be better than what he. Really i think the ship has sailed and what we see is all we are going to get from him. Every year it seems we hear he is going to hit his potential etc and it just never happens. I think severing ties will be good for all parties involved.

He's pretty bad offensively speaking tbh man, his defence is great, no questions about that, he's probably in the top 3 in terms of defensive capabilities and work load, but his service is so slow, he's extremely predictable and he has a non existent kicking game.

I think he just is what he is. There isn't a lot of great hookers around. Most are either really good defensively or really good offensively. It will be hard to have big $$ in the 1, 6, 7 and 9 moving forward IMO.

From what I hear the Broncos are already in discussions to resign him to another contract. The fact he was given the captaincy in the nines and world club series indicates the football department has a high regard for him

He actually has a pretty good kicking game, I'd say only Smith and Farah trump him that aspect. He should definitely use it more though.

He has, without doubt, the worst service/pass out of dummy half of any hooker in first grade. He *still* cant pick up and pass in one motion! He is not and never will be anything more than average.

He actually has a pretty good kicking game, I'd say only Smith and Farah trump him that aspect. He should definitely use it more though.
I can't accept that when he takes like one kick every 5 games. I do think he has a good kicking game but it can't be ranked amongst those 2 when he barely does it. He needs to do it consistently, it baffles me why Hunt seems to do 95% of the kicking.

If he kicked multiple times per game and was really good at it, he'd earn more points from me, but his contribution to our attack is basically zilch.

Maybe his problem is too much tackling giving him no energy in attack.

I've just lost patience with him, no hyperbole here, I could go through the last 5 preseason discussions on BHQ about him improving and he's really just the same as when he started. If this was his first or second year I'd be impressed and say he's probably got a lot of improvement in him but he's been in first grade for 7 years now as first choice hooker.

Yes, he should definitely kick more, but he is a good kicker, just below the two I mentioned. In fact most hookers are pretty crap in that department...

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • Swordfish
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Bish
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • bb_gun
  • Astro
  • Browny
  • The True King
  • Johnny92
  • Morepudding
  • Sproj
  • winslow_wong
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.