• Other (specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Who should be the new coach of the Queensland State of Origin team, to help continue our dynasty ....

My vote goes to Kevvie Walters...

He has been in the QLD System for several years under Mal and is not a club head coach. He would also have the respect of the players.

Last edited:
Today's CM seemed to suggest that is who it would be .

Kevin Walters or Paul Green. It will probably have to be part time since I doubt either will give up their club duties.

It will be Walters, but I'm surprised everyone is overlooking Bennett.

I'd personally prefer Hagan, so that Bennett & Walters can focus on the Broncos, but I'm guessing it'll be Kev.

Kev

If not, give the Walkers a go. I hear they go OK.

Third, Alfie under the proviso he has to be pissed the entire time and once we win he has to do his table dance during the presser.

Forth and final - rnabokov. I've always liked the cut of his jibe.

Can someone help me out on the stats . I'm pretty sure Qld have a pretty fuckin' good record when people who have captained them then end up coaching them .

Big Pete only if Broncoman is there to shine the players boots.

They were talking to Petero on the ABC thus arvo and they askedhim about who should be the next coach ...

And he suggested the great one ... Darren Lockyer

I don't think a nabakov would make for a good coach, although I guess it'd be a chance to see whether NSW would still lose against a team literally made up of 12 year old girls.

"If you can not recall the sins of your past, you are destined to repeat them."

I'll admit when I first heard this story today my immediate thought was that Kevin Walters should be the next QLD coach. Now I'm not so sure.

Does anyone remember the dark days of 2003-05? Bennett and Hagan tried valiantly to get us over the line but it was obvious juggling Origin with club commitments simply doesn't work in the modern era. Each Origin game is an event in and of itself, forget about the series, and we need someone who is going to eat, sleep and breathe it for 12 months of the year.

Need further proof? Look at the blues... They went with Murray and Bellamy - very good coaches but they were affiliated with clubs. It simply doesn't work in the modern era. The last 10 series wins have been under coaches who are full-time. You may be thinking "But Kevvie is just an assistant coach - it's not that big of a deal if the Broncos spare him for a few months?"

That thought poses a few questions - he'll be up against Daley (who has no club commitments) and who under his coaching the Blues are MUCH more competitive. The other point is maybe one of the reasons Brisbane were a breath away from winning the premiership this year was we had Kevvie focusing solely on his club team. I for one don't want QLD's continued dominance to come at the expense of the Broncos...

I love Kevvie but for mine it simply doesn't work. The next coach must not be affiliated with any club. Why mess with a winning formula? Why do what the Blues tried to do for a decade? At least QLD learnt their lesson after 3 series losses. Are we so drunk on series wins we're now trying to copy our inferior opposition?

Last edited:
I think our squads had a lot to do with our bad run then.. And losing Langer was a huge blow. It took us a while to recover from that.

NSW just had more talent across the park and more talent to choose from, IMO.

We really didn't have much to choose from..

Last edited:
They were talking to Petero on the ABC thus arvo and they askedhim about who should be the next coach ...

And he suggested the great one ... Darren Lockyer

I like this train of thought. Locky would be an outstanding Origin coach but coaching players you played with is fraught with danger. I can't think of a single example where it has worked out. It's not his time yet.

For mine, the two fundamental, non-negotiable criteria for being an Origin coach are:

1. An Origin legend
2. No current coaching roles at NRL clubs.

With that in mind, I reckon Wally Lewis. Yeah, yeah he tried coaching us before back in the nineties but he was coaching players he played with. It never works. He's an Origin legend who would get the respect of the team. Keep surrounding him with guys like Hagan and Walters and let's let the juggernaut roll on.

Active Now

• Midean
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.