Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Wayne Bennett

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Paul Green

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think our squads had a lot to do with our bad run then.. And losing Langer was a huge blow. It took us a while to recover from that.

NSW just had more talent across the park and more talent to choose from, IMO.

We really didn't have much to choose from..

Great point. We struggled for depth in those years, particularly in the halves, but the contrast in performances under Mal's coaching was incredible.

I like this train of thought. Locky would be an outstanding Origin coach but coaching players you played with is fraught with danger. I can't think of a single example where it has worked out. It's not his time yet.

Arthur Beetson 1981-1984 . That being said I agree , it's not Lockyers time . He's never even coached NRL let alone Origin .

They were talking to Petero on the ABC thus arvo and they askedhim about who should be the next coach ...

And he suggested the great one ... Darren Lockyer

Yeah bro, Petero said it was a fully suck idea cuz aye!

I like this train of thought. Locky would be an outstanding Origin coach but coaching players you played with is fraught with danger. I can't think of a single example where it has worked out. It's not his time yet.

For mine, the two fundamental, non-negotiable criteria for being an Origin coach are:

1. An Origin legend
2. No current coaching roles at NRL clubs.

With that in mind, I reckon Wally Lewis. Yeah, yeah he tried coaching us before back in the nineties but he was coaching players he played with. It never works. He's an Origin legend who would get the respect of the team. Keep surrounding him with guys like Hagan and Walters and let's let the juggernaut roll on.

McDonald coached players he played with and won at Origin.
Vautin coached a player he played with and won.
Beetson coached players he played with and won.

Hodges! That would really rev up the bloos.

Any examples from the modern era?

Legitimately made me laugh.

Vautin coached more then one player he played with not that it's a staggering change he coached two actually :laugh: Shearer and Gillmeister were apart of the 1995 side and he played alongside them at SOO level.

Last edited:
Vautin coached more then one player he played with not that it's a staggering change he coached two actually :laugh: Shearer and Gillmeister were apart of the 1995 side and he played alongside them at SOO level.

Good call; sorry my mistake.

Hagan has ruled himself out of the race. He wants to help with the Kangaroos.

Good call; sorry my mistake.

No need to apologise mate, missing one player is easy enough to overlook. On the subject of coaches for Queensland I wouldn't mind the Walker's tbh, but I get the feeling Kevin will get it and I don't mind that either.

Not too sure the Walkers should get their "start" at international level personally. Would love to see them get an NRL gig though

Edit: rep level.

Last edited:
Not too sure the Walkers should get their "start" at international level personally. Would love to see them get an NRL gig though

I have my doubts on whether their style could even work in Origin..

Can't really afford to be giving up good field position to the opposition all the time.

Paul Green has been offered the job.

PAUL Green has been offered the Maroons job as hot favourite Kevin Walters was on Wednesday a shock scratching to succeed Mal Meninga in the Queensland hot seat.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Green is in talks with the Queensland Rugby League and is their No. 1 target after his success in leading the Cowboys to their first premiership in 20 years last season.

But Green’s ascension to the Maroons could hinge on the Cowboys board, which is reluctant for the 43-year-old to juggle club and Origin roles as the club chases back-to-back titles in 2016.

Walters was widely touted as the frontrunner to replace Meninga, who last week quit Queensland to coach Australia after a record-breaking 10-year reign with the Maroons.

But Walters has been left shattered after learning he is not the man to succeed Meninga. It is understood QRL chairman Peter Betros phoned Green late last week to sound out the Cowboys premiership-winning mentor on his interest in the Queensland job.

Green is keen to coach the Maroons but is also mindful of the pressure of juggling dual roles. Ideally, the Cowboys would prefer Green focus his energies solely on winning back-to-back titles but will not formally block his desire to preside over the Maroons.

The Cowboys have previously experienced the toll of Origin duties on the club, with their former coach, the late Graham Murray, having led NSW in 2006-07.

Green has informed North Queensland of the QRL’s interest and is currently weighing up whether to formally accept the role.

The Green development is a crushing blow for Walters, who was regarded as the natural successor to Meninga given his experience as his assistant.

The QRL believes Walters is not ready for the role and views Green as the superior candidate after breaking the Cowboys’ 20-year title drought.

Queensland boss Rob Moore was tight-lipped on Wednesday but says there is no rule stopping a club coach leading the Maroons.

“There’s a process we are going through and it’s not appropriate to make any comment during the process,” he said.

“There’s no rule that a club coach can’t do the Origin job. The only one that exists is around the Origin and Test jobs after what happened all those years ago with the Australian team.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...b/news-story/846b84ab619ea781c46a1b6f35777a8a

Last edited:

Active Now

• Galah
  • RodF
  • Jazza
  • mitch222
  • Morkel
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fozz
  • Fitzy
  • Aldo
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosarethebest
  • bazza
  • Dash
  • davidp
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Matheos
  • Ozired
  • MrTickyMcG
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.