NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, grats on your victory against the sharks. Bitter pill to swollow, especially travelling so far to see it...

I know Jayden Brailey was the topic of discussion in the game day thread for a page or two, but what did you think of his first game back from a broken jaw last night?

What's the team? Link wants me to give over my house to see the article.

TEAM OF THE YEAR

POSITIONPLAYERCONTENDERS
FULLBACKBilly SlaterTom Trbojevic, Darius Boyd, Clint Gutherson
WINGERSuliasi VunivaluJordan Rapana, Alex Johnston, Akuila Uate
CENTREWill ChambersDylan Walker, Tautau Moga, James Roberts
FIVE-EIGHTHCameron MunsterLuke Keary, Michael Morgan, Gareth Widdop
HALFBACKNathan ClearyDaly Cherry-Evans, Cooper Cronk, Mitchell Moses
LOCKJason TaumaloloPaul Gallen, Dale Finucane, Jake Trbojevic
SECOND-ROWMatt GillettBoyd Cordner, Wade Graham, Angus Crichton
PROPJosh McGuirePaul Vaughan, Nathan Brown, Dylan Napa
HOOKERCameron SmithApi Koroisau, Cameron McInnes, Josh Hodgson
COACHBrad ArthurCraig Bellamy, Trent Barrett, Shane Flanagan
ROOKIENick CotricJayden Brailey, Brock Lamb, Brodie Croft
BEST BUYNathan BrownLuke Keary, Josh Addo-Carr, Blake Green
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I have been waiting for Dylan Edwards to have an off day since he became the first choice fullback for Penrith but he just keeps putting out high quality performances. This kid reminds me a bit of Locky the way he continues to make players miss. He doesn't have a big step, it's more a change of direction combined with speed and balance. He is very good under the high ball and dangerous on the kick return.
He is one player the Panthers will struggle to hold onto when he comes off contract at the end of next year with so much of their cap sucked up by Cleary and Moylan Merrin and Tamou.

Not that Brian Fletcher

Honestly, if some random posted that story up without a link I would have dismissed it. ivanhungryjak usually doesn't have time for that nonsense so it definitely confused me until I came across the story myself.

Granted they could do a lot worse but Hook isn't going to lead them to premiership success.

I have been waiting for Dylan Edwards to have an off day since he became the first choice fullback for Penrith but he just keeps putting out high quality performances. This kid reminds me a bit of Locky the way he continues to make players miss. He doesn't have a big step, it's more a change of direction combined with speed and balance. He is very good under the high ball and dangerous on the kick return.
He is one player the Panthers will struggle to hold onto when he comes off contract at the end of next year with so much of their cap sucked up by Cleary and Moylan Merrin and Tamou.

Edwards reminds me a lot of another Hook favourite, Josh Hoffman.

Dynamite inside his own half, but inside the red-zone he's invisible. It wouldn't surprise me if his stint at fullback is short-lived and he eventually makes way and moves to the wing/centres.

I still wonder if the Panthers are getting enough out of Watene-Zelezniak. He's had horrific luck with injury thus far, but if he can put together a strong off-season, I feel he could be far more useful for them as a centre or a fullback. Watching him come through the grades, he was far more talented than Moylan and Edwards and it seems like he's gone into his shell. It reminds me a little of Michael Gordon who actually played in the centres for Tweed Heads, made a name for himself on the wing for Penrith and they seemingly forgot about him.

Honestly, if some random posted that story up without a link I would have dismissed it. ivanhungryjak usually doesn't have time for that nonsense so it definitely confused me until I came across the story myself.

Granted they could do a lot worse but Hook isn't going to lead them to premiership success.

Edwards reminds me a lot of another Hook favourite, Josh Hoffman.

Dynamite inside his own half, but inside the red-zone he's invisible. It wouldn't surprise me if his stint at fullback is short-lived and he eventually makes way and moves to the wing/centres.

I still wonder if the Panthers are getting enough out of Watene-Zelezniak. He's had horrific luck with injury thus far, but if he can put together a strong off-season, I feel he could be far more useful for them as a centre or a fullback. Watching him come through the grades, he was far more talented than Moylan and Edwards and it seems like he's gone into his shell. It reminds me a little of Michael Gordon who actually played in the centres for Tweed Heads, made a name for himself on the wing for Penrith and they seemingly forgot about him.

Truth be told, if Locky doesn't go down injured in the 2011 semi final against the Dragons, then I think Hooks already a premiership winner.

Truth be told, if Locky doesn't go down injured in the 2011 semi final against the Dragons, then I think Hooks already a premiership winner.

Different scenario and he's got a much bigger challenge on his hands with Penrith.

Wow @Big Pete, Josh Hoffman? really. time will tell. I have a higher opinion of him than that.

I know it's been a few years, but when Josh Hoffman first came into grade was a very good player. He was very safe under the high ball and strong on kick returns. What has Edwards done to show he's capable of more than just that? Even in 20s he was usually relying on his physicality and footy smarts to get him through. I predict he'll have 2-3 good seasons there and eventually be moved elsewhere in the backline. He'll have a long career, probably get a few representative caps but will probably fall behind Tom Trbojevic or whatever up and comer bursts onto the scene in the coming years.

I know it's been a few years, but when Josh Hoffman first came into grade was a very good player. He was very safe under the high ball and strong on kick returns. What has Edwards done to show he's capable of more than just that? Even in 20s he was usually relying on his physicality and footy smarts to get him through. I predict he'll have 2-3 good seasons there and eventually be moved elsewhere in the backline. He'll have a long career, probably get a few representative caps but will probably fall behind Tom Trbojevic or whatever up and comer bursts onto the scene in the coming years.

Cant fall behind Trbojevic if you aren't ahead of him to start with

I was speaking in terms of representative selection. Neither Edwards or Trbojevic have played representative football yet and while Tedesco appears to be the incumbent, it won't be long before Trbojevic displaces him.

I was speaking in terms of representative selection. Neither Edwards or Trbojevic have played representative football yet and while Tedesco appears to be the incumbent, it won't be long before Trbojevic displaces him.

Tedesco isn't even the incumbent for Australia. Turbo will take over from Boyd eventually

Hi all, I have a question.......

In several articles since their round 24 loss, it has been written that Canberra's hopes of playing finals football is over

But such a comment is always reserved for when a team absolutely can't make the finals no matter what happens

Canberra sits 10th on 24 points, with NQ and Manly in 7th and 8th each on 28th points

Canberra has superior for and against compared to both of them

With 2 rounds to play and thus 4 points available to Canberra, why is this being said?

I know round 26 sees Canberra play Melbourne and thus it is highly unlikely Canberra will get the 4 points, but that's not the point

The point is in my memory a team isn't spoken of as having no chance to make the 8 until they are genuinely mathematically no chance

Any thoughts folks?

There's been a few examples where the media has jumped the gun and written a side off when realistically they've had little chance of making the 8. The one closest to home was the Broncos in 2013, when they were written off after a draw with Newcastle in Round 21. I just remember thinking it was premature and it wasn't until the Broncos lost to Newcastle in the corresponding clash that the season was well and truly over.

I don't have an issue with it unless they double down and say it's impossible for them to win a premiership from there.

Most of the stuff I read/heard about Canberra being done was before their unlikely loss to the Dogs. Media jumping the gun.

Kent with a great article on the raiders demise. Bit surprised he was critical of a team his mate Stuart coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Skyblues87
  • Tim K
  • Fitzy
  • Kev_Guz
  • Broncosgirl
  • BroncosAlways
  • Galco
  • NSW stables
  • broncsgoat
  • Xzei
  • Midean
  • lynx000
  • RolledOates
  • Battler
  • Footy Fanatic
  • FACTHUNT
  • Manofoneway
  • Aldo
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.