NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a side note, does anyone think rugby in Australia is dead? Sport is a business, and their business model going the way of blockbuster videos. Bums on seats, merchandise, memberships, domestic tv viewers? A mate commented that Australia rugby is a 2nd tier country. How are they going to pay players and staff?

On a side note, does anyone think rugby in Australia is dead? Sport is a business, and their business model going the way of blockbuster videos. Bums on seats, merchandise, memberships, domestic tv viewers? A mate commented that Australia rugby is a 2nd tier country. How are they going to pay players and staff?

This three year old video shows that Rugby Australia is stupid and people have been seeing the slide for a long, long time. Then they show up to a World Cup and deliver a steaming pile to the world.

Rugby died when the private schools started playing Rugby League.

Stupidest thing they ever did was take their game to pay tv only.
This is it, I played rugby my whole life, they switched to fox and my parents couldn’t afford it so we stopped watching…..the end

Stupidest thing they ever did was take their game to pay tv only.

This is it, I played rugby my whole life, they switched to fox and my parents couldn’t afford it so we stopped watching…..the end

I played rugby when I was a kid, and I don't think they ever had great FTA coverage, other than test matches on Channel 7.

There was a small period there when they were showing weekend Super 12 (or whatever the **** it is now) matches in prime time, but that was after my time as a rugby fan. When I was younger, you might get to see a replay at 11:30pm at night or something... I'm talking late 90s/early 00s though.

ABC always had a Shute Shield match at 4pm on a Saturday which was usually good viewing as a young rugby fan.

It's never quite been on the same level as the NRL and AFL though.

Rugby died when the private schools started playing Rugby League.
I'm not sure if that's necessarily true. Rugby League is a third term sport, meaning it comes after Union and doesn't have the resources poured into it like Rugby where teams are being whipped into shape during the summer holidays.

Schoolboy Rugby is as healthy as ever, at least in the south east.

The issue is the pathways. Rugby League has a stronger national competition with more opportunities for kids coming through. In Rugby you only have the five teams and the majority can't match it with the New Zealand systems. So a lot of the best talent like Sam Walker, Jack Howarth etc. just end up playing League.

It'd be interesting to see how the Wallabies would match up if they could pick from League and they had the adequate time to make the transition. You'd have to think they'd certainly do better than their last campaign.

I'm not sure if that's necessarily true. Rugby League is a third term sport, meaning it comes after Union and doesn't have the resources poured into it like Rugby where teams are being whipped into shape during the summer holidays.

Schoolboy Rugby is as healthy as ever, at least in the south east.

The issue is the pathways. Rugby League has a stronger national competition with more opportunities for kids coming through. In Rugby you only have the five teams and the majority can't match it with the New Zealand systems. So a lot of the best talent like Sam Walker, Jack Howarth etc. just end up playing League.

It'd be interesting to see how the Wallabies would match up if they could pick from League and they had the adequate time to make the transition. You'd have to think they'd certainly do better than their last campaign.
Fair enough….my knowledge is limited to my nephews lol. They only played in the GPS Rugby team as a stop gap until the league season gets underway.

Bulldogs club captain, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, has been told to stay away from pre-season training

Dumpster Fire GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • The Don
  • bb_gun
  • Alec
  • pennywisealfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.