NSW Team...

Je$ter said:
ps. Stewart is on the bench Creagh is starting.

Yeah - that's what was said in the official announcement at halftime.

They also said that should Gallen fail his fitness test, or Stewart get suspended then Luke Lewis will slot straight into the team.

Stewart is crap and his selection is even crappier on the bench. He is good for his workrate not his impact.

I'm very surprised to see Mullen miss out. I thought his combination with Gidley would get him in there. Gidley, Jennings, Lyon and Hayne make up a very good backline - and McManus is great in the air and will probably be marking Folau.

Creagh and O'Donnell are both in great form and should be damaging out wide. Bailey and Kite make good meters and Weyman has really turned a corner now that he has stopped punching people.

Overall, a much better NSW side than last year IMO. Should be a good series.

What is wrong with Gallen? Not that I really mind if he was out but I didnt see him get injured on Saturday night during his game and he did play 80mins.

Decent team, probably a bit harsh on Monaghan and Laffranchi but it probably cant get too much better than that for them to be honest.

Jeza23 said:
Decent team, probably a bit harsh on Monaghan and Laffranchi but it probably cant get too much better than that for them to be honest.

Yeah those are my thoughts.

Have this feeling that NSW will win game one.

Wow, i am very surprised by the reactions of everyone in this thread. This team worries me more than a team from nsw has for years. Jennings and hayne are in arguably better form than anyone in the qld backline. Campese is going to terrorise us all night now considering they now have 3 ball players in wallace, gidley and himself. The props are the only weak link i think. Unlike others in this thread their backrow scares the shit out of me. Creagh is in brilliant form, O'Donnell is a crazy bugger made for origin, i remember back in 2006 he absolutely smashed every player that came near him until he broke his hand. And gallen is a tough SOB. Stewart is lucky to get a spot, but wing is going to cause us nightmares when he comes on, like he used to do several years ago.

QLD is going to have to play brillantly to beat this team. Look at our backrow compared to theirs, thats were they have the advantage. Our likely backrow will be crocker, johnson and thaiday. A very defensive lineup considering all johnson does it tackle, and crockers main attribute is his toughness not his attacking prowess. Thaiday really will need to stand up and play about 100 times better than he does for Brisbane.

NSW backrow is always better on paper though, no different this year. What matters is whether or not they play to their potential when it counts. I think if Qld can hold their own in the forwards we have the strikepower to win.

At least there are a lot of penalties in o'donnel and gallen. maybe thats why they didnt go with ennis. To me, ennis is made for origin. In origin, the refs let a lot of things go, and ennis wouldve used this to his advantage. Im very relieved he is not there.

QUEENSLANDER said:
Wow, i am very surprised by the reactions of everyone in this thread. This team worries me more than a team from nsw has for years. Jennings and hayne are in arguably better form than anyone in the qld backline. Campese is going to terrorise us all night now considering they now have 3 ball players in wallace, gidley and himself. The props are the only weak link i think. Unlike others in this thread their backrow scares the shit out of me. Creagh is in brilliant form, O'Donnell is a crazy bugger made for origin, i remember back in 2006 he absolutely smashed every player that came near him until he broke his hand. And gallen is a tough SOB. Stewart is lucky to get a spot, but wing is going to cause us nightmares when he comes on, like he used to do several years ago.

QLD is going to have to play brillantly to beat this team. Look at our backrow compared to theirs, thats were they have the advantage. Our likely backrow will be crocker, johnson and thaiday. A very defensive lineup considering all johnson does it tackle, and crockers main attribute is his toughness not his attacking prowess. Thaiday really will need to stand up and play about 100 times better than he does for Brisbane.

My sentiments exactly - when I first heard the side, I was only thinking about who they left out - Lafranchi, Mullen, Cooper, Watmough and company - but when you think about the form some of the players are in, especially when you consider the problems that Hodges had keeping a leash on Jennings the other night. Hayne's in rare form, O'Donnel is terrifying and with Wallace to lead them around and Wing to take advantage of tiring forwards we will most certainly have a game on our hands.

We do still have an established team with established connections - but I'm still worried....

though I'm glad they didn't pick Ennis - he would be a handful at Origin level

Playboy Bunny said:
The team is:

Kurt Gidley, James McManus, Jamie Lyon, Michael Jennings, Jarryd Hayne, Terry Campese,
Peter Wallace, Brent Kite, Robbie Farah, Luke Bailey, Paul Gallen, Luke O’Donnell, Glenn Stewart. Interchange: Craig Wing, Justin Poore, Michael Weyman, Ben Creagh

Of course depending on Gallens scans and Stewarts case whether they will be playing or not.

I'm geniunely concerned about this series now.

The big problem the Blues have had over the past two series is picking guys on past form and reputations. That has all gone out the window now.

McManus doesn't particularly worry me, but Lyon is one of the form centres of the comp. Campese also doesn't concern me too much - as I think they'd perform better with a Mullen/Wallace combination.

Aside from that, Gidley always gives his all, and Jennings and Hayne have been on fire! Very solid forward pack too, and the bench looks pretty damaging.

This won't be a close run thing, that's for sure. New faces, fresh blood and in-form players. After two years of mediocrity, I think the Blues selectors should take a bow. That is a team which could break our winning streak, unfortunately.

How the hell did Weyman get selected? He is very overrated and the only thing he can tackle is a meat pie, fat heap of shit.

Waterhouse, Laffranchi, both unlucky as is Monaghan.

Why not Luke Lewis?

broncosil said:
How the hell did Weyman get selected? He is very overrated and the only thing he can tackle is a meat pie, fat heap of shit.

He's actually been going pretty good at the dragons this year. Close to the best on ground last wekeend

Yep a solid team all around, the best NSW team for a few years. Will definitely give us some headaches, I am suprised they went with McManus but he is no Steve Turner. Shame to see they actually selected Front Rowers, damn shame.

Backlines are a bit overstated in origin. Queensland won a few years ago with a back five of Schifcofske, Wesser, Hannay, Tate and Mogg - hardly world beaters. This series will be largely hinged on the forward battle and the respective kicking games, both areas where NSW look stronger this year. Last year they only really had the halfback to kick but this year they have Farah who can kick from dummy half, both halves and also Gidley if needed. If NSW can win the battle of field position, the side they've named is definitely capable of beating Queensland.

I heard the comment made from Bob Mcarthey (?). he said that the NSW forward pack will be more mobile than the QLD pack and they will be able to run our pack around because they are getting a bit long in the tooth.

Firstly, how does he know how mobile the QLD pack will be when it hasn't been named yet? eusa_think

Secondly, i love it when those guys south of the boarder underestimate Civoniceva and Price. thats always a good thing for us. :mrgreen:

The NSW pack has been more mobile every single year for the last decade... hasn't stopped us :)

One of the most refreshing and potential NSW teams post 2003.

- Jennings and Lyon can easily hold Hodges and Inglis (unless Inglis hits a gear again).
- Wallace and Campese seemed the logical selections and have nothing more to do now, except stand up.
- Front row had to be Kite and Bailey, although I still think ours kills all RL.
- NSW backrow/bench is an entire league above ours (likely), going on present form.

McManus is a bizarre choice IMO and I think farah over Ennis was by far the best choice they could have made.

Fresh Blood + Confidence (knowing the selectors believe in them) + chance to impact = NSW best chance since 2006.

P.S. What do they do if Gidley pulls out? Hayne to FB? IMO that is better forQLD.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Bucking Beads
  • marw
  • broncotville
  • Foordy
  • Griffo
  • Galah
  • johnyE
  • lynx000
  • Socnorb
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.