NSW Team...

I know it will be a disaster if the Qld players think anything like this so I hope they don't, but looking from the outside I've gotta say, fair dinkum we should hammer this mob.

Yeah some of them have some good speed and ball-playing skills, but they need space for that to be seen, and there won't be much space to work with in Qld's defensive line. If our forwards do their job, the inexperience of this side will be exploited mercilessly by our backline. But only if Qld are on their game. With a 4 series streak there for the taking, there is no excuse not to be.

Hammoz said:
One of the most refreshing and potential NSW teams post 2003.

- Jennings and Lyon can easily hold Hodges and Inglis (unless Inglis hits a gear again).
- Wallace and Campese seemed the logical selections and have nothing more to do now, except stand up.
- Front row had to be Kite and Bailey, although I still think ours kills all RL.
- NSW backrow/bench is an entire league above ours (likely), going on present form.

McManus is a bizarre choice IMO and I think farah over Ennis was by far the best choice they could have made.

Fresh Blood + Confidence (knowing the selectors believe in them) + chance to impact = NSW best chance since 2006.

P.S. What do they do if Gidley pulls out? Hayne to FB? IMO that is better forQLD.
100%!

All superstitious underdog jesting aside, this is a really solid NSW team and should be more than competitive.
The only weird choice is McManus, who should be glad the team was chosen when it was after dropping the ball over the line. [icon_lol1.

I just hate that its just primed for that "fairytale win".

Everyone loves it when the underdog beat the greats. Except me. In this situation.

It's not a bad team at all. My concern is they will have more youth, firepower and passion then the previous few years. This team is harder to read because they haven't been together like this before. They could well play free-flowing, random footy - which could really screw us. My hope is that they can't gel together as a team and just crumble under the pressure.

It's a bloody shame that the first game isn't at Lang Park (like it SHOULD be) because it would be a dead set baptism of fire for the young blewsers. Now they'll be in insipid Melbourne and the experience will be watered down.

A DARN SHAME THAT!

As much as I rate Campese, I'm just not convinced he's the best bet for origin. He really likes to run the show for Canberra (as is to be expected), and from what I've seen is capable of a bit of a hissy fit if he doesn't get the ball when he wants it. In a team with the likes of Wallace and Farah in it, he's not going to be the focus of every play and that could really go against NSW. I'm sure Bellamy is well aware of that, and will be telling Campese what he needs to be told, but still.... I think his selection might just be in QLD's favour.

NSW don't worry me at all the team is made up of average players with an average coach and average fans. Jennings will get dominated by Inglis and McManus will get hurt by Folau... Hodges is in great form i think he will tear Lyon a new one also. Weyman and Poore on the bench makes me laugh they will let in a few tries when those 2 fat boys come on.

Geez, I am just watching the 2007 game 1, at the 65th minute Lillyman taps Hayne on the cheek and he goes down like he's been concussed, surely the most miserable diver to ever grace the rugby league field? Reminds me why I hate him to be honest, I hope we SMASH him.

bronco_babe77 said:

Everyone loves it when the underdog beat the greats. Except me. In this situation.

It's not a bad team at all. My concern is they will have more youth, firepower and passion then the previous few years. This team is harder to read because they haven't been together like this before. They could well play free-flowing, random footy - which could really screw us. My hope is that they can't gel together as a team and just crumble under the pressure.

My concerns exactly! If qld come out expecting to win, they are going to be in for a surprise.

Yeah, that'd be why they didn't pick Ennis. Can't have too many divers.

mrslong said:
Geez, I am just watching the 2007 game 1, at the 65th minute Lillyman taps Hayne on the cheek and he goes down like he's been concussed, surely the most miserable diver to ever grace the rugby league field? Reminds me why I hate him to be honest, I hope we SMASH him.
You need that to be reminded as to why you hate him so much?!?! The only reminder I need, if I even need one, is one look at his fat, ugly head. It all comes flooding back.

QUEENSLANDER said:
bronco_babe77 said:

My concerns exactly! If qld come out expecting to win, they are going to be in for a surprise.
I honestly can't see that happening. I'm guessing they're absolutely desperate to win 4 series in a row which should be enough to rid them of any complacency, and I'm sure Mal and the coaching staff won't let them go into the series expecting it to just happen without NSW putting up one hell of a fight.

Emma said:
mrslong said:
You need that to be reminded as to why you hate him so much?!?! The only reminder I need, if I even need one, is one look at his fat, ugly head. It all comes flooding back.
[icon_lol1. that too [icon_lol1. ...but it makes me hate Hate HATE him even more, with the fire of a thousand suns, right down into the pit of my stomach....

I also recall when Slater was carrying the ball about 10m out and we had the blews defence at 6's and 7's and Hayne went in for a low tackle, knocked his head on Slaters hip and stayed down for 5 minutes as though he was dead and allowed the blews to get back on side, have a rest and nullify our attack. [icon_non Gah! [eusa_doh

mrslong said:
I also recall when Slater was carrying the ball about 10m out and we had the blews defence at 6's and 7's and Hayne went in for a low tackle, knocked his head on Slaters hip and stayed down for 5 minutes as though he was dead and allowed the blews to get back on side, have a rest and nullify our attack. [icon_non Gah! [eusa_doh

Smart play IMO.

ningnangnong said:
mrslong said:

Smart play IMO.
Said like a true soccer fan. :P

Good side I think, apart from Stewart, who should've been replaced by Waterhouse. Hopefully the tacke on Rogers gets him suspended and they rush Trent into the side.

McManus is a brave choice, but the kid is brilliant under the high ball, and I wouldn't be surprised if his sole job is just to shut down Folau all night. Whether or not he can do it will be interesting.

Lyon is also a good choice in the centres, too. After playing for Country he put his hand up and said he was keen for rep footy again, so he'll give it a proper go.

Halves are what I expected. Should be alright; Wallace is cool enough under pressure to keep the team going, so Campo should be able to just chime in when he sees an opportunity. Look forward to seeing the big fella walk through Thurston twenty times in game 1.

TBH, this NSW team reminds me alot of what QLD did in game 1 2001, when QLD named something like 8-10 origin rookies. including guys like Tuqiri.

Foordy said:
TBH, this NSW team reminds me alot of what QLD did in game 1 2001, when QLD named something like 8-10 origin rookies. including guys like Tuqiri.

The difference being Tuqiri has talent [icon_razz1

Nah this won't be anything like that IMO. Mal will keep our boys focused. In 2001 NSW were extremely cocky, especially considering they had just thrashed us 56-16. Under the circumstances QLD had good players coming through the ranks and we had Bennett back at the helm too so that helped alot.
Remember, we did outplay NSW in game 3 last year BUT we only won by 6. They still well and truly have the potential to beat us, there is no doubt. I'm sure big Mal realises that and will be preparing us for it too.

QUEENSLANDER said:

Absolutely spot-on.

See, it's funny - the vast majority of people and the media only really get interested in league around state of origin time. They've focused this year on the fact that the Blues have picked a young and inexperienced squad. But those of us who watch RL week-in, week-out know that this is a far superior side to that of the 2007 or 2008 Blues. The names aren't as "big" on paper, but those big names have largely done sod-all for five years and were only there on reputation and loyalty.

Guys like Matt Cooper, Willie Mason and Mark O'Meley might've looked solid on paper, but they've done f*ck all on the field for years. Putting guys like Michael Jennings, Ben Creagh and Michael Weyman in the team in their place is a bloody good move.

Make no mistake about it, this is the biggest challenge the Maroons have faced for some time.

Unread

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.