Passion factor a myth

I didn't make it a thread to doubt QLD player's passion. I made it to discuss why the passion factor in Origin is a myth, every Origin player that has played is passionate and has worn his respective state's heart on his sleeve

im-not-saying-its-aliens-but-its-aliens.jpg

Attachments

• im-not-saying-its-aliens-but-its-aliens.jpg
    im-not-saying-its-aliens-but-its-aliens.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 170
Wally's try when we had no fit troops left with an absolutely buggered Gillmeister smashing the ball loose before a buggered Wally beating several hapless and fresher NSW players to score to seal the win. If you can honestly say that NSW players (besides the Mark McGaw try) have dug deep late and pulled one out of the fire that they had no right to win. If you think it is just talent you literally have no idea about the concept of Origin.

I didn't make it a thread to doubt QLD player's passion. I made it to discuss why the passion factor in Origin is a myth, every Origin player that has played is passionate and has worn his respective state's heart on his sleeve. The way the game pans out is how every Origin has been decided. What a poor excuse that is Jamie.

so youre saying tamou is passionate about his "state"?

i believe hes VERY passionate about something, but its not the NSW or Australian teams. its about getting his bank account as large as possible.

Andrew Johns pulled one out of the bag to beat you countless times. NSW scoring late tries to win all 3 games of the 86 series, Michael O'Connor's magic kick from the sideline. All origin players are talented and are equally passionate.

so youre saying tamou is passionate about his "state"?

i believe hes VERY passionate about something, but its not the NSW or Australian teams. its about getting his bank account as large as possible.

Admittedly I'm much the same but then again I don't pull the passionate card about my job :P

Andrew Johns pulled one out of the bag to beat you countless times. NSW scoring late tries to win all 3 games of the 86 series, Michael O'Connor's magic kick from the sideline. All origin players are talented and are equally passionate.

Especially Jamie Lyon.

Broncoman, I think you are right in that there have been many NSWmen who have played with pride for their state.

Jack, Sterling, Clyde, Mortimer,Pierce (the one that actually did his job on the field), Stuart, Elias, Daley, Wishart, Sironen, Roach, Carroll (Mark the wrestler type...just how Rocky loves his men), Harrigan, Bird, O'Donnell are some names of great players who I genuinely believe loved playing for NSW.

However, the your argument that QLD passion isn't a factor in SoO was based on three principles, which was actually one priciple and some confusion.

1. "The players performances have decided games":- Really? I can't and won't debate this, except to add some more insight; The team which scores more points decides games.........

3. "How the game pans out":- See above.

On to your main principle;
2. "Having better players have decided games".

Explain 80-84, game 2 89 QLD winning by 4 with only 12 men (and Linder playing with a fractured ankle), Shearer's try game 3 91,1995,2002?? All those series/games had QLD teams on paper far below the standard of their NSW counterparts. Fair enough, you could say the players were better than they were given credit for however that doesn't wash due to the sheer amount of "no names" who have been selected and played exceptionally for QLD over the years.

Queensland has a plethora of talent at the moment, which has never been seen in such quantity before. And no doubt this is a strong reason for our ongoing dominance at the moment. However, this wasn't always the case, for nearly 20 years we were the weaker side year in, year out, yet for the most part we managed to find a way to victory..until the 2003-2005.

I don't deny NSW have had some fantastically skilled players, who have had real passion for their NSW jersey.

However there does seem to be strong evidence that even average players plucked out of relative obscurity, perform the games of their lives when playing for QLD, yet no such NSW players have had big impact performances.

Would you at least entertain that idea Broncoman?

O'Connor's kick was magical that is true. Also, by "countless", do you mean 4??

Also Joey didn't pull those wins "out of the bag" his side carved us a new one during his very limited reign in Origin footy.

O'Connor's kick was magical that is true. Also, by "countless", do you mean 4??
I'd hesitate to give him credit of 4 because in that 2005 game Minichello was absolutely unstoppable he gave us as much a headache if not more than Joey.

Even bird admits that just because QLD has better players, in the end it comes down to passion and who wants it more.

Asked if this Queensland side can be beaten, Bird bristled: "They've got 80 per cent of the Australian team at the moment, they have a great team. Don't take anything away from those blokes, they are awesome players but great teams don't win Origins ... I think who wants it more usually wins."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ate-of-origin-ii/story-e6frexv9-1226384024847

We've listed wins, but for mine, there have been a number of games which we ended up losing where we played far better than we had any right to...

eg.

Game 2 '93
Game 1 '04
Game 3 '07

And while Game 1 '06 & Game 3 '09 weren't great performances by any stretch Queensland showed some great qualities. To come back from 12 points down to almost steal it away from NSW was a fantastic effort from the nervous Maroons. Also that bomb in 09 showed that we care more about state pride and our mates than we do about making the loss look a little better.

We've even won through adversity through out our current run.

Game 3 '06 - Lose 3 of our best players in the lead up to the decider and contend with a number of calls that went against us to win.
Game 2 '07 - Survive an avalanche of possession to steal it.
Game 3 '08 - No Lockyer to begin with, we lose our #7 early and still manage to survive
Game 2 '09 - Contend with a number of bad calls, injuries & serious illnesses to hold on to create history

Last edited:
Broncoman, I think you are right in that there have been many NSWmen who have played with pride for their state.

Jack, Sterling, Clyde, Mortimer,Pierce (the one that actually did his job on the field), Stuart, Elias, Daley, Wishart, Sironen, Roach, Carroll (Mark the wrestler type...just how Rocky loves his men), Harrigan, Bird, O'Donnell are some names of great players who I genuinely believe loved playing for NSW.

However, the your argument that QLD passion isn't a factor in SoO was based on three principles, which was actually one priciple and some confusion.

1. "The players performances have decided games":- Really? I can't and won't debate this, except to add some more insight; The team which scores more points decides games.........

3. "How the game pans out":- See above.

On to your main principle;
2. "Having better players have decided games".

Explain 80-84, game 2 89 QLD winning by 4 with only 12 men (and Linder playing with a fractured ankle), Shearer's try game 3 91,1995,2002?? All those series/games had QLD teams on paper far below the standard of their NSW counterparts. Fair enough, you could say the players were better than they were given credit for however that doesn't wash due to the sheer amount of "no names" who have been selected and played exceptionally for QLD over the years.

Queensland has a plethora of talent at the moment, which has never been seen in such quantity before. And no doubt this is a strong reason for our ongoing dominance at the moment. However, this wasn't always the case, for nearly 20 years we were the weaker side year in, year out, yet for the most part we managed to find a way to victory..until the 2003-2005.

I don't deny NSW have had some fantastically skilled players, who have had real passion for their NSW jersey.

However there does seem to be strong evidence that even average players plucked out of relative obscurity, perform the games of their lives when playing for QLD, yet no such NSW players have had big impact performances.

Would you at least entertain that idea Broncoman?

Post of the year

Game 3 '07

This match was possibly the only loss I was still satisfied with. I mean winning would have been great, but losing 4 players in the first half and then only losing the game in the last couple of minutes, it was a great performance.

Even bird admits that just because QLD has better players, in the end it comes down to passion and who wants it more.

What else do you expect him to say though. QLD obviously has a better team on paper, and if he says the better team will win, he's basically resigning himself to the fact NSW will lose.

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • bert_lifts
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.