Passion factor a myth

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
When people are asked what it takes to win Origin they usually respond with Passion. Both QLD and NSW players are just as loyal and commited as each other with the players from both sides desperate to win Origin supremercy. No doubt both sides have undeniable passion. But in my opinion to say that passion wins matches is a myth and is out of context. This is why I think that

1: The players performances have decided games. In origin even if you are playing at 5% below your best your opponent can easily get the better of you.

2: Having better players have decided games. QLD have had a champion spine over the last 6 years which has given them the edge over their opponents. The QLD spine for game 3 last year was Billy Slater, Jonathen Thurston, Darren Lockyer and Cameron Smith. The NSW spine was Anthony Minichello, Jamie Soward, Mitchell Pearce and Michael Ennis. Go Figure. Also see the 1st point. NSW used this spine in game 2 and it paid off they were below their best in game 3 and it showed.

3: How the game pans out. In the decider in 2004 Rhys Wesser misses an opportunity to score to get QLD back in the game. NSW take advantage and Minichello dots down putting the score out to 22-8. Game 1 last year NSW hit the lead 12-10. Ennis gives away a penalty enabling QLD to attack and Slater goes in for the winner.

Passion is just a blanket term used to cover other words such as motivated. No state exclusively owns passion but since the term was applied to Queensland first & we've often been perceived as the underdog through out the history of this competition it's generally associated with our proud state.

Remember...
- Queenslanders invented the concept
- Dominated the initial years of the competition
- Pulled off more unlikely victories ('80-'84, '89, '95, '01, '06, '09) or performances (Game 3 '07) than their counterparts.
- Have more sold out crowds
- Have vision of team mates exuding the passion of their state 'QUEENSLANDER!'
- And when you knock one of ours down, you better be sure to know we're going to bomb the f**k out of you and hit you with all we've got.

Queensland celebrates our Origin team more, we immortalise our players quicker, more Queensland Origin moments are remembered than Blues ones (unless Post Match Tries are a thing of passion...) & you can never count us out because we're Queensland.

I have this joke that the reason why Billy Moore was so passionate about QLD was because it was the only chance he had at winning something. Not many players who played for North Sydney could say that they lifted a premiership trophy aloft.

That's some real Andy Kaufman stuff.

Tell this to Fattys 1995 team. 3 nil result against a far more experienced and talented side, a result which came from passion.

It's fair enough you think this way Broncoman because after all you are a NSWman and you have no way of understanding the QLD passion.

I have this joke that the reason why Billy Moore was so passionate about QLD was because it was the only chance he had at winning something. Not many players who played for North Sydney could say that they lifted a premiership trophy aloft.

That certainly explains why Gallen is so passionate about the Sharks.

This is Broncoman's long awaited highly anticpated passion thread? I am disappoint.

Tell this to Fattys 1995 team. 3 nil result against a far more experienced and talented side, a result which came from passion.

It's fair enough you think this way Broncoman because after all you are a NSWman and you have no way of understanding the QLD passion.

The Qld team is talent not passion. Any team can beat anyone on their day, look at Brisbane's win against the Tigers in 2002 as a prime example. The empires Rome destroyed can be portrayed as heartless but they were passionate about their province they were just destroyed by a stronger army. The French didn't lose passion for their country during the revolution.

Last edited:
The Qld team is talent not passion. Any team can beat anyone on their day, look at Brisbane's win against the Tigers in 2002 as a prime example. The empires Rome destroyed can be portrayed as heartless but they were passionate about their province they were just destroyed by a stronger army. The French didn't lose passion for their country during the revolution.

Tonga playing on last year after dislocating his shoulder is passion. A desire not to let his state or his teammates down. I remember paul bowman playing on 1 leg, defending the line like his life depended on it. Gillie coming out of hospital to play. I could go on and on.

Then you have the likes of Eric Grothe, jamie lyon etc who just decide they dont wanna play for the blues.

You don't buy into the whole passion thing? That's because NSW as a whole doesn't, and thats why QLD are looking at 7 straight series wins.

NSW played didn't make a single change throughout the entire series yet players were turning up on crutches and still were keen to rip into the QLDers. Eric Grothe and Jamie Lyon wouldn't be picked anyway if they were avaible. The NSW team has always passion and mateship I can ensure you that.

Last edited:
I guarantee Lyon is the second name down after Gallen if available he is class player. Further shows how things are south of the border.

NSW played didn't make a single change throughout the entire series yet players were turning up on crutches and still were keen to rip into the QLDers. Eric Grothe and Jamie Lyon wouldn't be picked anyway if they were avaible. The NSW team has always passion and mateship I can ensure you that.

But they were picked, and declined. No passion

They were picked, did the job and were succesful club players.

We are talking about Eric grothe jnr aren't we? The guy who had more passion for his guitar then for his state

Hey broncoman. Do some research.

I suggest you start here: 1989. (one nine eight nine).

Tonga playing on last year after dislocating his shoulder is passion. A desire not to let his state or his teammates down. I remember paul bowman playing on 1 leg, defending the line like his life depended on it. Gillie coming out of hospital to play. I could go on and on.

Then you have the likes of Eric Grothe, jamie lyon etc who just decide they dont wanna play for the blues.

You don't buy into the whole passion thing? That's because NSW as a whole doesn't, and thats why QLD are looking at 7 straight series wins.

Paul Bowman on the deck and then getting up to make a tackle hopping on one leg is one of my favourite Origin moments - pure guts.

Active Now

• dasherhalo
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.