Passion factor a myth

Perfectly said Rock. It's the QLD media that brings that ****ing bullshit up. The QLD'ers are idiots if they think they are more passionate. Give me the name of one NSW player that wasn't proud and passionate about pulling on his jumper and representing his state.

He bleed blue when he played. He quit because he was copping it so much and since he has returned to club he has been some of Manly's best. Same when Shane Webcke stood down from origin in 2004 he was one of Brisbane's best for the next 2 years.

He bleed blue when he played. He quit because he was copping it so much and since he has returned to club he has been some of Manly's best. Same when Shane Webcke stood down from origin in 2004 he was one of Brisbane's best for the next 2 years.

Webcke was one of Brisbane's best for years before he retired from Rep football.

Lyon has the heart the size of a split pea.

Posted this in the other thread but thought it appropriate here

1. Billy Moore screaming QLDER as the team comes down the tunnel
2. Mal's swear word riddled pregame speech about not letting eachother or the state down as captain
3. Calling Cattle Dog in the first scrum despite knowing it would cause a brawl
4. Carl Webb destroying Luke Bailey 3 times in 5 minutes with a Q shaved in his skull
5. The Axe playing after spending the previous night on a drip
6. Paul Bowman making a several tackles with an ACL injury because we were already short of troops amd because he was desperate to not let his mates down
7. King Wally get stuck into MG despite being double his age and half his size

VS

1. Justin Poore picking up and dropping a heavily concussed Steve Price for no apparent reason
2. Ben Creagh starting a fight with Justin Hodges then running away
3. Jamie Lyon demonstrating that famous NSW spirit by refusing to answer the call despite desperate pleas for him to play
4. Eric Grothe Jnr, for just being 'meh' at the prospect
5. Mark Geyer admitting regularly to be sh!tting himself when Wally Lewis squared up to him in Origin despite being 5 times his size

A big reason we are more passionate as fans and as a team is we openly celebrate the amazing feats of courage from our guys when they go well beyond what they need to do because in Origin you have to do it for the guy beside you. Perfect example of that is Paul Bowman who had no right to make the tackles he did before going off but as he said he couldn't bare to let his mates down. We as QLD'ers embrace and celebrate these moments they go down in our legend and our Origin folklore and it gets told from one generation to the next, I have no idea what it is like in NSW but I doubt the passion is that big. We live Origin this time of year and the guys in the team now grew up in that atmosphere just like us. I am almost unapproachable the entire next day after an Origin loss I am that pissed off, I know plenty of NSW born and bred people who in the same situation both during this run and during previous times just shrug the losses off and move on. The culture here is different and if you don't understand that Broncoman I am sad for you because the whole Origin experience is far superior when you are born north of the border win, lose or draw.

It means more to QLD'ers than NSW'kers because QLD'ers have to beat the other guys and the judiciary.

Lol seriously? So no NSW player has ever tried to pick a fight with a bigger Queenslander before? Give me a friggin break!

Rocky is right infact they are much better at it, resorting to cheap shots like Boyd deliberately breaking Brohmans jaw or the softass attack on a defenceless Conescu lying on the ground so much to be proud of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53QyIl1N1G8 just a fine and uplifting example of the brave blues in action.

Perception is everything.

Queensland celebrates it's players, team & state more than their Blues counterparts. Hence, according to Flex Kavana, we're the 'Faces' while the Blues don't take as much pride meaning a lot of great players are often forgotten. Like I said, watch or read any piece of Origin media, you'll find a stack more on the Maroons than the Blues.

Will say this, I'm bloody glad that they got behind Gallen. Bout time they started supporting their own.

QLD players play for the people of Queensland. NSW players play for their own personal glory. Thats the difference.

Since this concept of passion is so subjective & most NSWkers would never admit how QLD is SWAMPED in maroon during Origin, yet you barely see a Blue jersey outside of Homebush when Sydney host a game; I guess all we can do is compare the stories of both states come from behind wins & heroic tales. Everyone on this forum has mentioned some of the QLD ones, where's the NSW ones? I know we will be waiting awhile.

Perfectly said Rock. It's the QLD media that brings that ****ing bullshit up. The QLD'ers are idiots if they think they are more passionate. Give me the name of one NSW player that wasn't proud and passionate about pulling on his jumper and representing his state.
Jamie Lyon.

It seems like anytime a QLDer claims to have passion and recall a time when said passion was on display he is greeted with a big "lol no Dat no passion derp dem media".

Does passion alone win Origin games? No.
Does talent and ability alone win Origin games? No.

Every series the teams are, talent and ability wise, extremely even. You can argue QLD has had an edge for at least 4 of the last 6 years because of the "spine", but as much of a revolving door the NSW spine has been, as players they've been every bit as talented as the QLD team.

And that dates back to the start of the concept in 1980.

So why has Queensland been so dominant? Is it passion? I think it is. And I don't mean passion as in yelling out Queenslander, or loving your state more, or any of the cliches that get associated with Origin fans (although there is no doubt QLD fans are more passionate about Origin than NSW fans...but that's another thread).

I agree with Big Pete. Passion is a blanket term for all the intangible qualities that lift performance. Commitment. Desperation. Motivation. Attitude. It's the qualities that make a player do things above and beyond what they do week in, week out in club football, under pressure, when it counts, for the entire 80 minutes of the game. Even Phil Gould says it. Nobody plays for 80 minutes with the same intensity, commitment, desperation and attitude as Queensland Origin teams do.

Look at how many Queenslanders who are relatively unspectacular club players lift to a new level at Origin. Adam Mogg. Josh Hannay. Craig Teevan. Brent Tate. Steve Price. Paul Bowman. They're guys who you'd look at club form and think "geez, they're not Origin standard". But put on a Maroon jersey and they grow another leg and perform at a level you just can't fathom.

I admit I have maroon tainted glasses so I may be unfair, but I can't think of any NSW players who fit that category. In a lot of cases, players who are excellent club players tend not to shine at Origin level and in fact look off the pace. That's not a talent issue. It's not an ability issue. It's something intangible.

I put it down to passion.

I remember a dead rubber game 3 where after Dallas johnson ko'd first tackle and tate and GI both did there knees that Qld still made try saver after try saver and it took NSW until the 70th odd minute to put us away. We had already won the series but showed the pride and passion to not let NSW run away with the game

All this QLD passion and pride is bullshit. The Maroons simply have a better side at the moment.

That is total and utter bullshit. There's people walking around in Blues jerseys all year round, and that's coming off 6 straight series losses FFS. But yeah, no passion....

Thanks for the selective quoting...but you and your bestie BM still haven't started listing the passionate acts by players wearing skyblue.

I'll start for you; Luke O'Donnell (grub that he is) standing up and taking on the entire QLD forward pack. Stupid, but shows passion.

Now I'm stumped, over to you two.....

Unread

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.