Peter Nolan

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
That wasn't the question. The question was, Is DCE playing better than Hunt currently. I'd say they are line ball on current form, if not Hunt having a slight advantage.

One swallow doesn't make a summer, DCE has performed at the highest quality out of every Halfback in the competition for the past couple of seasons, with Cronk being the only possible exception.

If Hunt can play well all year, I may re-evaluate, but at this stage, we'd be making one of the stupidest decisions in NRL history to not chance DCE if he's available.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
One swallow doesn't make a summer, DCE has performed at the highest quality out of every Halfback in the competition for the past couple of seasons, with Cronk being the only possible exception.

If Hunt can play well all year, I may re-evaluate, but at this stage, we'd be making one of the stupidest decisions in NRL history to not chance DCE if he's available.

Well he's not fucking available.

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013

I think you're missing the point entirely.

Regardless, DCE is under contract for a while yet and I'd still like to see Barba at 5/8 with Hunt at Halfback.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Well he's not fucking available.

?? Can you clue up please, the whole point of this argument is the fact that some genius said "We don't need DCE, we have Hunt", implying that Hunt is better than DCE, which is the stupidest thing I've ever read on this forum.. Nobody has claimed he's available..

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
?? Can you clue up please, the whole point of this argument is the fact that some genius said "We don't need DCE, we have Hunt", implying that Hunt is better than DCE, which is the stupidest thing I've ever read on this forum.. Nobody has claimed he's available..

To be exact, you were asked the question, "Can you honestly say DCE is playing that much better than hunt is? And hunt is doing that partnered with gumby, yet DCE has foran" To which you replied, "Yes.. I can safely say DCE is better than Hunt in every single aspect, without question. Anything else?" Which was not what you were asked. I think that's where the confusion is.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
If Ben Hunt keeps improving as he is I'm happy to say he could guide us to a premiership.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
To be exact, you were asked the question, "Can you honestly say DCE is playing that much better than hunt is? And hunt is doing that partnered with gumby, yet DCE has foran" To which you replied, "Yes.. I can safely say DCE is better than Hunt in every single aspect, without question. Anything else?" Which was not what you were asked. I think that's where the confusion is.

There's absolutely no confusion on my end, I understand the question, I also said that one swallow doesn't make a summer, Cherry-Evans may be slightly out of touch by his standards so far this season, but in reality, he's a better passer, kicker, runner, leader than Hunt is.

The only part I objected to was b4l saying that we shouldn't even bother with Cherry-Evans, because "we have Hunt".

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
There's absolutely no confusion on my end, I understand the question, I also said that one swallow doesn't make a summer, Cherry-Evans may be slightly out of touch by his standards so far this season, but in reality, he's a better passer, kicker, runner, leader than Hunt is.

The only part I objected to was b4l saying that we shouldn't even bother with Cherry-Evans, because "we have Hunt".

Fair call and agreed. DCE is a high level player.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

Which is why I asked can you honestly say he is playing that much better? I never claimed he was better than DCE, I claimed his standard is what we need. Point being that why outlay 1.5 million on a position that is sorted when we have other issues.

I would be careful calling people stupid when your own reply shows implies you didn't read my comment properly

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
Seriously, DCE is a phenomenal player and it'd be great if he was at our club ....

... BUT...

... the chances of him coming are slim to none, and at that i'm happy enough with Hunt to be our #1 halfback.

Let's give the kid a chance .... he's showed great promise this year.

Last edited:
Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Which is why I asked can you honestly say he is playing that much better? I never claimed he was better than DCE, I claimed his standard is what we need. Point being that why outlay 1.5 million on a position that is sorted when we have other issues.

I would be careful calling people stupid when your own reply shows implies you didn't read my comment properly

I dunno if having one half still finding his feet as having the positions "sorted".

I don't separate halfback and 5/8th either, for most teams they are identical, just mostly on different sides. For example, Hunt has mostly been playing on the right, while Hoffman has been killing our attack on the left.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
When we've got Milford in the halves it'll be really hard to afford DCE. Also Barba will need more cash soon as will Hunt and Macca if they continue their good form.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Despite being one of the (maybe even THE) form halves in the comp, Hunt will need to improve his kicking tenfold to be compared with DCE.

Having said that, if Hunt continues to progress as he has, and Milford joins us, I'm not sure we should compromise our ability to keep most of our players to get the arguably best halfback in the NRL (world really).

The cap only stretches so far, and as Beads said, if Macca and Hunt keep this form, Barba comes good and Milford delivers on his promise, our spine will suddenly not only be of premiership level, but it will take a fair chunk of the cap.

Would DCE upside balance the player loss we would incur...? Probably something to discuss towards the end of this season.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Maybe the rise in the salary cap can help begin the rise of the bench utility star? instead of 13 good players and 4 average ones why not have 17 good players? We could definitely afford to have DCE, Hunt, Barba and Milford in the 17.

Also Hunt has played way better than DCE so far this year. Not saying he's a better player because DCE and Manly aren't playing at their best.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Despite being one of the (maybe even THE) form halves in the comp, Hunt will need to improve his kicking tenfold to be compared with DCE.

Having said that, if Hunt continues to progress as he has, and Milford joins us, I'm not sure we should compromise our ability to keep most of our players to get the arguably best halfback in the NRL (world really).

The cap only stretches so far, and as Beads said, if Macca and Hunt keep this form, Barba comes good and Milford delivers on his promise, our spine will suddenly not only be of premiership level, but it will take a fair chunk of the cap.

Would DCE upside balance the player loss we would incur...? Probably something to discuss towards the end of this season.

Once again I never compared hunt to DCE, I simply said IMO with hunt we don't need him. This whole discussion has gone on a massive tangent because one poster refused put words in my mouth

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Once again I never compared hunt to DCE, I simply said IMO with hunt we don't need him. This whole discussion has gone on a massive tangent because one poster refused put words in my mouth
You're the one that continuously pushes it back there by going on the defensive.
If you actually pay attention, the rest of the post agrees with your premise. :aetsch:

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
You're the one that continuously pushes it back there by going on the defensive.
If you actually pay attention, the rest of the post agrees with your premise. :aetsch:

I'm not defensive. I'm just trying to have clarity around the discussion.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Alec
  • Waynesaurus
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Redux
  • Lostboy
  • Aldo
  • The True King
  • Browny
  • Broncorob
  • BooKhaki
  • Hoof Hearted
  • mrslong
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Justwin
  • ell.d33
  • Morkel
  • marw
  • Harry Sack
  • sooticus
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.