VOTE Potential 18th team?

Should the NRL expand to 18 teams? if so, who should it be?

• Total voters
Shane Richardson puts together a pretty good case on why the Firehawks should be the 18th team. Makes a good point about PNG and the Pasifika nations.

Look I’m opposed but they would go a lot further in attaining that if they didn’t sound like a fucken netball team. Absolutely horse shit name for a footy team.

The NRL were fucking stupid not to leap on the vacuum left behind by the Western Force the first time they folded. League had the chance to be the only Rugby ticket in town in Perth and we blew it out the airlock.

As far as I'm concerned it is the obvious choice.

The NRL were fucking stupid not to leap on the vacuum left behind by the Western Force the first time they folded. League had the chance to be the only Rugby ticket in town in Perth and we blew it out the airlock.

As far as I'm concerned it is the obvious choice.

Yup, it's not even a contest IMO. They have to be next.

People wishing for another Brisbane team are clearly just out to see to it that we aren't a premiership force because it makes no actual sense.

Titans may as well be a Brisbane team, it's about a 40 minute drive down the highway, Redcliffe is as close as you can get without being labelled a Brisbane team, then there's obviously us. It's not like it used to be, most NRL clubs dip their toes into the QLD talent these days.

The NRL definitely should invest in grass roots in these countries. I wouldn’t want to be based there as a professional though - no thank you!

I think the NRL should do more to reward clubs for developing their own talent so the Warriors can retain more local juniors and be a strong force. Then move to creating a team in Christchurch. The salary cap shouldn’t be so restrictive as to impact clubs in underdeveloped areas. Melbourne, Perth, NZ teams etc should be able to go well over the cap if they develop the players locally, it’s for the good of the games growth.

The NRL should hire Gus and Wayne and pay them full time to help set up pathways and systems for future franchises.

The NRL definitely should invest in grass roots in these countries. I wouldn’t want to be based there as a professional though - no thank you!

I think the NRL should do more to reward clubs for developing their own talent so the Warriors can retain more local juniors and be a strong force. Then move to creating a team in Christchurch. The salary cap shouldn’t be so restrictive as to impact clubs in underdeveloped areas. Melbourne, Perth, NZ teams etc should be able to go well over the cap if they develop the players locally, it’s for the good of the games growth.

The NRL should hire Gus and Wayne and pay them full time to help set up pathways and systems for future franchises.
i mean ideally cap free if you have a player from (insert age here) would be how id go shouldnt be punished for spending money into junior football,was intersting to hear gus talk about the roosters approach let the other clubs spend the money then go pick out the best 18/19yo's

As much as I think NZ would do well with another team the current boost with the wahs shows it might be better going with a Perth team, the entire NZ is with the warriors it will probably just eat into that when the game should be making them as strong as possible.

it might sound silly but I have watched the views from the NRL YouTube and even Broncos games have been beaten in views by warriors games(this is completely unheard of given how badly we dominate fan engagement), they are a potential behemoth for the game.

I think from the Warriors perspective though future seasons have to involve more parts of NZ in their home game schedule to make the most of this, it's not wrong to say we might be in a wave of potential union to league movement in that country, given warriors are already the number one club in either code for attendance in the club game by a country mile.

Given comments from Albo and Vlandys, you can lock in PNG for the 18th team (likely being based in Cairns)

reports are that the Albanese Government will commit to funding the new team for $60 million per year for 10 years. Vlandys believes even if Albo loses an election that the LNP would not pull the funding.

Vlandys said:

“We are absolutely expanding the competition to 18 teams,”

“Yes, we’re having expansion talks right now,”

“We’re analysing the data as we speak and we’re working on the strategy for an 18th team in the NRL.

“We’re looking at 2027, but possibly earlier in 2026, if we can put the pathways in and implement the necessary programs with the support of the government.

“Anthony Albanese is a great man and a great supporter of rugby league.

“I won’t speak about figures, but the Prime Minister is a big supporter of expansion, he is a driving force behind it.

“Now that we’re committed to playing games in Vegas, we’ve begun talks with the government on expansion.”

V’landys stressed other bid consortiums from Perth and the Brisbane Tigers have not been dismissed, with the NRL open to expanding to a 20-team competition by the 2032 Brisbane Olympics.

“The Prime Minister has a vision for soft diplomacy and what a new NRL team can achieve with the support of the government,” V’landys said from America.

“I totally support that stance.

“I can’t say right now the 18th team is 100 per cent going to be a PNG team, because we are going through all the figures.

“There’s negotiations to go through with the government and there’s a lot of hard work to be done.

“Eventually we want to get to 20 teams, so there’s a long-term strategy in place and Anthony (Albanese) and the government are playing a key role in it.”

Vlandys again on the plan for a PNG team

We have a multifaceted plan. This is not just a benefit for the NRL,”

“The investment from the government will encompass not only the NRL team, but funding competitions in Papua New Guinea, having ex-rugby league players working as development people.

“As Phil Gould (Bulldogs football boss) told me, one of the reasons they are so keen on it is because a lot of kids in PNG don’t go to school, but if they have rugby league to play at school, they will turn up.

“Anthony Albanese sees the benefits and it’s only going to be as successful as the manner in which it’s executed and implemented.”

Vlandys on Federal Government funding

“The government will be committed to this for a decade and beyond.

“The team would not be full of just PNG players. It will be an 18th franchise with a mix of players just like any of the existing 17 teams.

“Naturally, you could have an Australian coach.”

Vlandys wants Bennett involved

“We absolutely would want Wayne involved in the new franchise if he is available,” V’landys said.

“He has done an incredible job with the Dolphins this season, they were very unlucky not to make the top eight and it was quite remarkable what the Dolphins achieved in their first seasons.

“Wayne is one of rugby league’s greatest assets and why wouldn’t you use him?

“There’s no point leaving him in the garage.

“Wayne Bennett is a genius. He has 40 or 50 years of rugby league knowledge and he would be the perfect person to have involved in setting up an 18th team.”

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said:

“I am very supportive of an 18th NRL team in PNG,” Albanese told News Corp on Saturday following his return from the White House.

“This is a game changer for the relationship with Papua New Guinea.

“We’re definitely behind the NRL bid and, importantly, Prime Minister (James) Murape in PNG is very much behind an NRL team.

“This is a country that will celebrate its 50th year of independence in a couple of years (2025).

“Having PNG participate in the NRL, I can’t think of any better way to get that ongoing relationship and engagement between our two countries.”

“I was in PNG in January and you see kids and adults all wearing State of Origin jumpers and jumpers of NRL clubs. The support there is fanatical,” Albanese said.

“Samoa made the World Cup final last year. If you develop a pathway for young people to come through, Papua New Guinea is a potential powerhouse in global rugby league.

“We haven’t landed on exact figures. It’s a bit premature. That’s a matter for discussions, which are taking place at the moment.

“We put $7 million into the recent Pacific Championships and we are prepared to have talks with the NRL on funding.

“The aim would be for any government funding to be aimed at economic development in schools. It’s not just for the NRL team and to pay Alex Johnston (Souths winger) to play for PNG.

“To have a PNG NRL team, we would need to get the pathway and infrastructure right.

“It’s an important part of economic development and getting young people engaged in PNG.

“This is not just about sport in itself, it’s building people-to-people relations and economic development for PNG.

“That’s the way the government sees it.”

So basically, the government has offered to line my...I mean the NRL's pockets and we are keen to get that free money, screw you all.

Wests will be happy to see PNG enter the comp... primarily because they'll be odds on for the spoon every single year

Active Now

• Justwin
  • GCBRONCO
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Broncorob
  • Bucking Beads
  • Battler
  • Harry Sack
  • Fitzy
  • Xzei
  • Wild Horse
  • Skathen
  • pennywisealfie
  • ivanhungryjak
  • leon.bott
  • Browny
  • mrslong
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Fozz
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.