Pretenders or contenders?

Sirlee oldman

NRL Player
Dec 6, 2015
With 4 rounds played we can now assess where the team is at and whether we are a realistic chance of winning the premiership. On the face of it having 2 wins and 2 narrow losses against last years top 4 is probably a pass mark. How are we actually going though?
On the positive side our defence has been outstanding. It seems to have returned to the level it was at in 2015. Defence is the best indicator of attitude and a lot was said during the offseason about the attitude of some of our players (Hunt and Roberts in particular) but everyone looks to be putting in 100%.
Our kicking game has improved greatly. It's still not the best in the league but is certainly not the liability it was.
Our forwards have made up for their lack of size by playing with aggression and don't look like they are going to be trampled by the bigger packs.
Our young, inexperienced bench players have been outstanding and look like genuine NRL players now.
We have come through 4 tough games without any serious injuries. Our depth this year is better than its been for quite some time and we haven't had to use it yet. There will be no reason for the club to spiral into an Origin inspired slump this year the way we did last year.
On the negative side Milford is out of form and our attack is yet to fire. Obviously both these things need to improve but I'm not too concerned yet. The fact that we have been competitive despite this actually gives me a lot of confidence for the rest of the season.
To be a realistic chance of winning the premiership we need to finish in the top 4. I don't think that there are 4 teams in the league that are better than us. I believe we are genuine contenders.

If we can work out our attack and both Milford and Hunt find form, we are contenders.

If we can't, we aren't.

That's the only thing holding us back at the moment.

Win over Sharks (At Shark Park)
Loss over Cowboys in GP
Loss over Storm in last 5 minutes (at AAMI Park)
Win over Raiders

We're going pretty well. The NRL gave us a douchebag start to the season which we escaped 2 and 2. The only way is up from here. If we demolish the Bulldogs next weekend, we're off to a good start.

I actually like the look of the squad this year. Rock hard defense combined with many strike weapons who will start producing when injury tolls and fatigue start affecting clubs later in the season. The bench has been performing as well which is an added bonus. Definite contenders.

We will always be more of a contender than pretender. How can we not with the quality of our roster? Besides, we have the defense, the attitude and the discipline.

Our kicking game, which is the area I criticised most for the past couple of years is definitely improving, with Macca's help, but mostly with the surprisingly good kicking game from Milford, well on display against the Raiders.

It was pleasing to see how well the play to give Kahu his field goal attempt was put together. Of course, it was helped by surprise as the Raiders would've mainly targeted Milford as the likely go to guy, but we need more of that unpredictability and variation in our set plays.

We need attacking structures which will benefit the players we have, because one out Bennett ball is a hindrance relying too much on a moment of brilliance, while lacking a greater degree of control to our game.
Decision making is still poor on the 5th tackle, and if we get that sorted, we will definitely be thereabouts...

Barring a big injury, I'm confident of Top 4. At the moment, we're able to beat the best teams if just one of our halves has a semi-decent game. And even if they both suck, we've pushed the Cows and Storm to within a field goal or freak try of victory. If both happen to fire simultaneously, watch the **** out.

I'm now starting to see more urgency, purpose and aggression from key players like Hunt, Roberts and Gillett, and the whole team defensively, which for mine, if it continues to grow, makes us genuine contenders. All we need now is for Milf to damage the defensive line once again with his aggressive running game which I hope to see against the Dogs

I don't think we're legitimate contenders just yet, we're in a good spot though. The only scenario in which we become contenders this season is if Milford & Hunt just go on a 2015 run of form, we have a similarly good pack (bench included) and outside backs in comparison to 2015, but the key is the halves, if they're below average, we're below average.

But who really are legitimate contenders? The Roosters are yet to play anyone worthwhile, the Storm nearly got beaten by the Tigers, the Panthers? Stop it. Nobody has really put their hand up as certainties and we are in it as much as anyone else at this point.

Just because the Roosters haven't played any of the top 4 sides doesn't mean they should be underestimated, they're comfortably the deepest and best roster 1-17 at full strength, and they're clicking extremely well, with upside to become even better.

I think the biggest contenders right now are the Roosters, Storm & Cowboys. The Panthers & Raiders are in the discussion, but they're in the same boat as us, they have potential to contend, but they're going to need to fix up a few things before they're legit.

Yeah, Roosters, Cowboys and Storm look like the 3 most likely clubs to me too. They all have refs on their side too.
If we get our attack right, we'll be up there with them too. Only minus the refs.

The Broncos are certainly contenders, but can they be considered favourites? There's still too much indecisiveness about their play and they pale in comparison in certain areas.

Canberra, Cronulla, Melbourne, North Queensland, Penrith & Sydney look set for big seasons, while Manly, Parramatta and St George could give the competition a shake-up, especially around the Origin period (I don't think they'll have much representation).

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.