QLD Team

as much as i like cooper cronk and think hes a great player, he should be halfback or not in the team at all. you dont have a replacement half on the bench in a regular game, let alone an origin. thought bolton would be there too, bit surprised by Taylors selection.

Fozz said:
Costigan, meh. He's produced the goods at origin level so I suppose he's a safe bet. I'd rather have Bolton but I'm not crying in my beer.

I don't reckon he's a safe bet!

I know he's improved on it since he was at the Broncos, but gee whiz, I really don't trust him when it comes to holding the ball and not giving away penalties. :mrgreen:

ningnangnong said:
Fozz said:
Costigan, meh. He's produced the goods at origin level so I suppose he's a safe bet. I'd rather have Bolton but I'm not crying in my beer.

I know he's improved on it since he was at the Broncos, but gee whiz, I really don't trust him when it comes to holding the ball and not giving away penalties. :mrgreen:

I agree ning. I get nervous when Costigan holds the ball. But I guess he's there so he can start the biffs lol.

KrispyKris said:
ningnangnong said:
Fozz said:

I agree ning. I get nervous when Costigan holds the ball. But I guess he's there so he can start the biffs lol.

Biffs is about all he is good for at the moment Kris, he isnt capable of doing anything else [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1.

Maybe so, but I think he's the sort of player who lives, breathes and sleeps QLD, so I have no doubt he'll put in a million percent and find another gear.

Emma said:
Maybe so, but I think he's the sort of player who lives, breathes and sleeps QLD, so I have no doubt he'll put in a million percent and find another gear.

No doubt about it. Just hold the ball and make some orsm hits!

Big Pete said:

Yep. I've never really rated Costigan that highly at for the reasons that ning's outlined. Gives away too many penalties, makes too many mistakes and has a lazy workrate compared to some of the other backrowers going around. Add it to the fact he hasn't played much footy lately and it's a poor choice.

Luck's got a better workrate, better fitness and more reliable defence and makes similar metres to Costigan.

But all the best to Costigan, hope he rips in.

TBH I think that's a really strong bench. I don't mind Cronk, having Berrigan and Khunt on the bench is a formula that has worked for them in the past so why change it. Admittedly hes not as tenacious as either, but if QLD can get 10-15 minutes of solid tackling out of him it will be OK.

The backrow can pretty much go the 80 whilst Nev and DT are great impact players. Will give plenty of punch off of the bench to go with Shillingtons experience. Possibly a prop short however. Taylor is an out and out backrower and Myles has trimmed down too much to be as effective as he used to be up front.

Anonymous person said:
as much as i like cooper cronk and think hes a great player, he should be halfback or not in the team at all. you dont have a replacement half on the bench in a regular game, let alone an origin. thought bolton would be there too, bit surprised by Taylors selection.

Queensland just wanted to show Idris isn't the biggest human alive. Taylor by plenty.

great side, altho i think cronk and costigan are very stupid selections. shouldve been bolton and teo. bolton couldnt possibly play any better and he still cant make it!

ethos said:
Big Pete said:

Yep. I've never really rated Costigan that highly at for the reasons that ning's outlined. Gives away too many penalties, makes too many mistakes and has a lazy workrate compared to some of the other backrowers going around. Add it to the fact he hasn't played much footy lately and it's a poor choice.

Luck's got a better workrate, better fitness and more reliable defence and makes similar metres to Costigan.

But all the best to Costigan, hope he rips in.

Luck is a workhorse though putting him on the bench would be a waste of his 'strengths'.

Then again, I haven't rated Luck since 2007.

Agree. I don't see the point in picking 80 minute forwards on the bench. I think the back row has excellent balance with Harrison a certainty to play all 80, and Myles and Thaiday capable of 70+ if needed, but with Costigan and Taylor able to assist.

Taylor and Shillington able to rotate with Civoniceva and Scott up front.

Costigan got the nod ahead of Bolton for his "Crocker-like mongrel" I'm guessing. Bolton's a good player, but he's not going to strike fear into the opposition if they see him in the defensive line. The way Costigan is playing in both attack and defence he'd put opposition players in two minds about making contact.

The Cronk selection is totally understandable, but really if they're that concerned with Smith going the 80 then he shouldn't play.

Yep, Bolton's biggest competition for mine would've been against Myles or Harrison and given their work for Queensland in the past neither deserved to be dropped. Bolton still has plenty of time to gain a spot in the side and I believe has a lot of improvement in him.

Don't forget Coxy if need be Myles and Thaiday can come in-field. While it isn't preferable, it does give us that extra option.

Coxy said:
Costigan got the nod ahead of Bolton for his "Crocker-like mongrel" I'm guessing. Bolton's a good player, but he's not going to strike fear into the opposition if they see him in the defensive line. The way Costigan is playing in both attack and defence he'd put opposition players in two minds about making contact.

So would Te'o at the moment. I was almost certain Te'o would be selected.

Great side.

I'm OKwith the bench too. Costigan will provide the mongrel we need (ala. Crocker) and Cronk will play a utility role like Berrigan used to.

I really hope Taylor cuts the mustard though. I've been hoping he'd get a run.

jarro65 said:
Great side.

I'm OKwith the bench too. Costigan will provide the mongrel we need (ala. Crocker) and Cronk will play a utility role like Berrigan used to.

I really hope Taylor cuts the mustard though. I've been hoping he'd get a run.

As many know I have not a lot of faith in Taylor as a consistent player, only because he seems to just play well when he wants to.

Well, he's going to want to in Origin! So I think he'll put in a big one.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.