Representative Week

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Just wanted to bag out next week. The footy has been pretty good so far. Some crap games here and there (I'm looking at you, Parra) but for the most part I've found it quite entertaining and something to look forward to. And then they go ahead and take a whole week off to play a couple of representative games that I couldn't care less about.

First of all, I maintain that International League is never going to work. There's no real prestige in winning. Getting a representative International jersey, sure, big deal to most players that aren't named Stewart. But I mean, ask a play to rank what they'd rather win (Premiership, Origin or an International) and I'd be stunned if anyone didn't rank Internationals last. I don't care if Australia wins. They should win anyway, their potential pool of players is massive and the level of talent is only occasionally matched by a fit Kiwi squad. That's it. It's like Origin, but instead of NSW v QLD, it's Aus v NZ. So much lamer. Just ask James Tamou or Jason Taumololo.

Sadly, that's still the best game on offer next week, because the other is City Country. A chance for all people born South of the border (and Tamou) to audition for a team that in a few months time is likely going to get it's ass handed to them again. That's like auditioning to be a support act to the cast of Australian Idol.

So basically, instead of seeing 8 games mostly featuring teams who have built up team chemistry go about their stuff, we basically have the Melbourne Storm with better forwards and outside backs against the Warriors with Marshall instead of Maloney. And a game featuring a bunch of NSW nuffies. Complete way to halt the momentum of an otherwise good season IMO.

Strange people who think Internationals will succeed, or that City Country is important, flame away!

Haterz gonna hate.

Seeing a team made up of the best players in the NRL face off against each other is pretty damn orsm, even if we already know who's going to win.

But I didn't say anything about watching QLD beat NSW.

NSW dig aside, what you are saying is much more true about Origin than it is the ANZAC test.

I love how theres a week off. should be a week off every origin as well. Only going to help us.

Waiters gonna wait.

City/Country is useless as an Origin selection event. The dead certs for Origin aren't even selected and the best NSW has to offer is on Test match duty. So it's more like being the understudy for the understudy. At least it's only the NSW players (and James tamou) potentially injuring themselves.

If a player from Newcastle gets selected for city/country it will increase the representative strength of Bennett's team ;)

I enjoy the City/Country game sucks it's getting scrapped. It gets Rugby League exposure in country NSW where there is a massive Rugby League following, just like country QLD. Looks like I'll be watching Collingwood play next weekend.

I enjoy the City/Country game sucks it's getting scrapped. It gets Rugby League exposure in country NSW where there is a massive Rugby League following, just like country QLD. Looks like I'll be watching Collingwood play next weekend.

Rugby league doesn't need exposure in the country. Country league is strong (despite doomsayers). And they get trial games every summer.

I love City/Country. It is, for me, all about giving the up-and-coming rep players a taste of representative football, and recognising the contribution that the bush makes to footy, both on and off the field. It doesn't have the sheer passion of the Origin series or the test matches, but it's a big game that anybody in NSW can get behind regardless of club affiliation.
In fact, it's easier for me to get excited about this game than, say, Penrith v the Eels, because I don't give a rats about either of those clubs. I am, however, proud of the small town community I grew up in, which is representative of regional NSW in general.
Obviously, most of you Queenslanders don't give a rats about a NSW versus NSW game, but really, isn't Farah v Ennis to decide the NSW number 9 a more interesting matchup than Cam Smith v Issac Luke to see who... wins the ANZAC trophy?

City and Country is just a "rep" game for NSW players who are not good enough to crack the NSW SOO squad. It is just to make them feel like they achieved something more than club footy and in most cases they never could.

Does anyone know when the Toyota Cup State of Origin teams will be named? I've had a look around and can't see any squad selection as of yet.

I already hate representative week. It's also a split round in the Q Cup so hardly any games next weekend either.

But, putting my selfish need to be entertained aside, agree with pennywisealfie. This is the fairest way to handle representative games, and it should be extended to Origin too.

In reality it would negate the need for byes too. Shorten the comp to 24 rounds. Would just have to extend the comp by 1 week.

I don't mind the players getting a rest and the Broncos not having to play without all their stars!

Also I LOVE city/country! I don't actually watch the boring as batsh!t game, but I love waking up the next morning and looking at the injury list.
To quote ning....:handshake:

I already hate representative week. It's also a split round in the Q Cup so hardly any games next weekend either.

But, putting my selfish need to be entertained aside, agree with pennywisealfie. This is the fairest way to handle representative games, and it should be extended to Origin too.

In reality it would negate the need for byes too. Shorten the comp to 24 rounds. Would just have to extend the comp by 1 week.

Plan something you enjoy doing on the weekend. I already have plans.

I would. But no doubt Mrs Coxy has lots of stuff planned for me to do ... painting the house for one.

I would. But no doubt Mrs Coxy has lots of stuff planned for me to do ... painting the house for one.

pfft. hire a painter. show her how much a painter costs per hour, and how much you cost per hour....that's what I do.

painting would be so much better if you had some footy to watch though.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.