Round 1 - Bulldogs vs Broncos - Post Match Discussion

Also, let's all ease up on Benny Hunt!

He wasn't great, but come one, it was the first game of the season, guys. The first game!

Not everyone's going to have a stormer. It can take time to get back into the swing of things.

WTF were you watching then?
Settle down mate, I wasn't actually having a go at Glenn, I just didn't really take much notice of him :takdir:

The Hoffman bagging is a bit tiresome TBH. I feel like a lot of folk are still a bit bitter about the whole off-season thing.

No, I don't think he's going to develop into a magical, wondrous five-eighth, but this was his first match in the role. If you've played the game, you'll know how different it is being thrown into a new position, especially when you're used to playing at fullback or on the wing.

Also, people must understand he is not going to be used as a traditional, ball-playing five-eighth, so stop judging him on that. It's been made clear by Hook that that isn't his job.

He'll improve with time and probably end up being a fairly solid, safe player there. I reckon it's only a temporary move anyway, so no point getting your knickers in a knot, let's just be patient.

If he's having no impact whatsoever in another three or four weeks, then by all means rip in.
It's obvious as day, IMO. He played EXACTLY like he always played at fullback, which is a very good running game but absolutely useless as a ball player. He got moved from fullback because his ball playing sucked... We can't have a rookie 7 with a useless 5/8, it's just not going to work.

I love Hoffy, but he's not a 5/8 and never will be.

^^^^

I agree [MENTION=1848]ningnangnong[/MENTION] about the Hoffman statement. Yes he wasn't a good traditional 5/8 but he can run the ball ok. Do I think he should be there next week? That depends on who else is available. If Hodges was fit, I'd have him at 5/8 if we didn't sign Sandow.

It's obvious as day, IMO. He played EXACTLY like he always played at fullback, which is a very good running game but absolutely useless as a ball player. He got moved from fullback because his ball playing sucked... We can't have a rookie 7 with a useless 5/8, it's just not going to work.

Nailed it spwn. We were so predictable in attack with Hoffman at 6. He offers nothing. It takes away from his strength playing him at 6 and makes it harder for Hunt who is not up to it at the best of times but particularly not as the sole half.

Unpopular opinion, but if we lost last night that could have gotten Hoffman out of the #6 jersey earlier than he will.

He's not meant to be a 'five-eighth' if we're going by what the traditional meaning of the word is.

Why are you all expecting Hoffman to be some ball-playing virtuoso? It's not going to happen. He's going to be used as a running five-eighth, but it'll take a few weeks for him to add some nuances to his game and work out how he should be positioning himself, what lines he should run, etc.

Plus - of course he played like he did at fullback, did you not read my post? He's in a new role, he has to learn that new role. Until he picks up on that, we can expect to see him play very similarly to what we're used to.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

We know Hoffman isn't going to be doing any ball playing. The problem is we need a ball playing 6.

He's not meant to be a 'five-eighth' if we're going by what the traditional meaning of the word is.

Why are you all expecting Hoffman to be some ball-playing virtuoso? It's not going to happen. He's going to be used as a running five-eighth, but it'll take a few weeks for him to add some nuances to his game and work out how he should be positioning himself, what lines he should run, etc.

Plus - of course he played like he did at fullback, did you not read my post? He's in a new role, he has to learn that new role. Until he picks up on that, we can expect to see him play very similarly to what we're used to.

Rome wasn't built in a day.
Mate, when I was watching that game yesterday I actually felt sorry for Hoffman! I was just thinking, what a waste of such a fantastic player. On the centre/wing he can be one of the best backs in the game, at 5/8, in all honesty I can't name anyone worse.

Melbourne could use the ball runner 5/8 for two reasons, Inglis is a better runner of the ball and Cronk is one of the best 7's there is. Hunt is new to the full time #7, it's just too much pressure on him to control all the ball playing and creativity.

Last edited:
IMO Hook has to bite the bullet and start Kennedy with McGuire and drop Parker to the backrow.

This will hurt him as he'll have to drop either Glenn or Gillett to the bench, with the latter being my pick.

We need bigger bodies to start the contest as it looks as though our attack will only come off the back of that.

The best thing about last night is that winning breeds confidence. The fact we were able to hold out a team with committed defence will give the team confidence they can do it again. Over time combinations will form and plays will become more slick. My only worry is that defences will quickly work out that Hunt is our only last play kicker. When in our own half I'd like to see someone else other than McCullough go to dummy half so we have another option other than Hunt for the kick.

Also, I'm worried McCullough may get at least 1 week for his tackle. Thoughts? Anyone know if he has carry over points? We don't have a good record at the judiciary.

I remember Barba taking a long kick and actually finding space. I really think we need to utilise his kicking skills more.

If Griffin insists on Hoffman at 5/8, then get Barba to handle the kicking duties with Hunt. Barba has a good all round kicking game (I still can't get over the fact that we have signed him!) so we should use his talents to the fullest.

That kick to setup Copley, IMO, only Barba could have done that. And when Barba held the ball up and put Gillett (or was it Glenn?) over the line only to be held up, again, only Barba has the skill to do that. I think when we get Milford next year, I'd stick him at fullback. Barba is just an all round more mature and better player and Milford's main strength is his running game so he can excel at fullback.

I don't know why I'm speaking about next year, but it would have been so awesome to have had Milford this year :(

Last edited:
So we give thaiday the captaincy and then play him out of position in the front row and when he is ineffective we strip him of the c. What makes Hook think that doing it to parker will be any different?

So we give thaiday the captaincy and then play him out of position in the front row and when he is ineffective we strip him of the c. What makes Hook think that doing it to parker will be any different?
Parker had the best stats out of any forward from both teams, so I wouldn't say he was bad at prop but I usually rank Parker in my top 3 but at prop his skills are severely underutilised :( I think he can play better at prop than Thaiday did but that's not saying much.

I remember Barba taking a long kick and actually finding space. I really think we need to utilise his kicking skills more.

If Griffin insists on Hoffman at 5/8, then get Barba to handle the kicking duties with Hunt. Barba has a good all round kicking game (I still can't get over the fact that we have signed him!) so we should use his talents to the fullest.

That kick to setup Copley, IMO, only Barba could have done that. And when Barba held the ball up and put Gillett (or was it Glenn?) over the line only to be held up, again, only Barba has the skill to do that. I think when we get Milford next year, I'd stick him at fullback. Barba is just an all round more mature and better player and Milford's main strength is his running game so he can excel at fullback.

I don't know why I'm speaking about next year, but it would have been so awesome to have had Milford this year :(

This is how Hook thinks. Barba is a fullback. We bought him because we needed a good fullback. Why do people not want to play him in this position?

So what if he can kick? So what if he did well here, and did well there. I don't get it. Finally we have a really, really goof fullback, and first week in, people want to move him to the halves. It doesn't make sense.

as many positives as negatives to come out of that game, but hey, we got the win and im stoked about that. the team looked as if they were playing for one another. as they went off at half time i saw copley running around to everyone, gee'ing them up. when barba made the error at the end of the first half everyone got around him to raise his spirts. team harmony seems excellent to me.

most of my feelings re player comments have been covered.

i will say this - it is only week 1, and we will hopefully improve on that.

on ben hunt. i think he feels the pressure, and it affects his game. if he's going to be successful, he's really going to need time (which we obviously have given our halves situation). i can see him really firming up his game by rnd 6 once we're in the week to week grind and he settles in.

i would also like to congratulate maranta on an excellent game.

barba looks fantastic. he's only going to get better after his first hit out. im excited by what is to come from him.

vidot and copley were excellent. vidots metres were outstanding. copley was just all class. he needs the halves to get more ball to him. i said it before start of the season, copley will be very close to an origin jersey come May.

kennedy made a good impact and provided plenty of metres when he came on. according to nrlstats, he only played 19 minutes? wtf hook?

on that. WHY DID WALLACE NOT PLAY. we were out on our feet after 60/65 mins. IT MAKES NO SENSE. WHYYYYY!

Active Now

• Santa
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.