Round 24 - Broncos Vs Storm - Build Up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Hoffman is a must on the wing. Maranta has done extremely well with his chances but Hoffman would provide better dummy half running and does cover fullback if we really have to.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Hoffman is a must on the wing. Maranta has done extremely well with his chances but Hoffman would provide better dummy half running and does cover fullback if we really have to.

Yeah, I agree with this, it's unfortunate though cos Maranta has been fantastic, if he is dropped I hope it is made clear it's through no fault of his own and his time will come. My main hope is that hook realises Norman needs to stay at FB, his support play is so much better than Hoffman and at the moment that's what this team needs. Don't get me wrong I am Hoffman's biggest fan but all the great stuff he does he can do from the wing.

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
Beale can cover fb if we need it, Hoffman can play Qld cup for the rest of the year.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
griffin is a genius. hit the 'off button' on the team after 30 mins yesterday.. "ok boys, that was good, now reel it in, we can let the doggies have this".

now we'll towel up the storm, fly into the finals, and smash the dogs on GF day.

ahh, dreams.

I

IBA

NYC Player
Mar 23, 2012
It is a genius play all right... :)

I'd be happy for the same team to line up but losing Lui for one of the younger guys. Dodds' defence is keeping him on the bench but man I wish Hala wasn't injured again. That cannon ball of a prop coming on is sorely missed.

Did I notice Norman defending on the wing and Beale at fullback for a little while yesterday? Just in defence I mean. No problems with that happening.

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
It is a genius play all right... :)

I'd be happy for the same team to line up but losing Lui for one of the younger guys. Dodds' defence is keeping him on the bench but man I wish Hala wasn't injured again. That cannon ball of a prop coming on is sorely missed.

Did I notice Norman defending on the wing and Beale at fullback for a little while yesterday? Just in defence I mean. No problems with that happening.

I don't think so, I'm also fine with it for this season but if they keep him there next season they should get him defending at fb.

Steve

Steve

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
I've found Griffen's post match press conferences pretty interesting over the last few weeks. Last week he was surprisingly positive in praising some aspects of our game (even though the rest of us had the knives out) and saying it was something to build on. Yesterday's press conference was almost identical in parts - again he was pleased with the performance and saying there are some real positives we can take into Friday night's game.

It's pretty obvious that his priority at the moment is not winning games but regaining the form we produced in the first 8 rounds. I'm assuming he's thinking if we can regain some of that form, the wins will take care of themselves. If my interpretation is correct we'd want to keep improving on Friday night because if we go backward I think the axe will fall on a few players.

Hopefully it's not too late by then.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
If my interpretation is correct we'd want to keep improving on Friday night

if you were able to view the run home to the finals from a hindsight's perspective now, the way things are going right now would lend perfectly to a team that hits top form come finals time.

we're still three weeks out and if we do continue to improve (i see no reason why not?) then by september week 1 we can be playing great footy.

its very hard to maintain a winning streak. dogs have done brilliantly to win 11 in a row but whens the loss coming?

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
if you were able to view the run home to the finals from a hindsight's perspective now, the way things are going right now would lend perfectly to a team that hits top form come finals time.

we're still three weeks out and if we do continue to improve (i see no reason why not?) then by september week 1 we can be playing great footy.

its very hard to maintain a winning streak. dogs have done brilliantly to win 11 in a row but whens the loss coming?

To the Broncos in the GF!

I think yesterday, we saw some insight into what Griffin will do when Hoffman returns. He'll be selected on the wing, but play fullback at the end of a set with Norman coming into the line with Reed shifting to the wing. First few plays will see Hoffman hit the ball up and then head to wing. Could work very well and is probably our best attacking option with Hunt, Wallace, McCullough and Norman giving us attacking options.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
We need to win this. I think we can do it. Hopefully Parker is back and I expect Hoffman to come back into the side as well. We should have gained considerable confidence after yesterday. Gillett goes back to the bench as well. **** he has been hopeless this year.

I

IBA

NYC Player
Mar 23, 2012
It's so upsetting seeing Gillett play so poorly. He really is one of those magical players to watch when he has confidence (or skill? or whatever is wrong at the moment?).

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
cant buy tickets in the lower section of stadium.. fuuuuuuuu

big crowd this week it seems

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
It's so upsetting seeing Gillett play so poorly. He really is one of those magical players to watch when he has confidence (or skill? or whatever is wrong at the moment?).

Rookie of the year to bust, I never thought it would happen to him.

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
Love to see them work on the fifth tackle option. I almost feel like they need to take all creativity away from the playmakers and have a set kick determined by field position. No one is running it on the fifth to any effect anyway, so it's not like it's going to cut down opportunities...

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008

Rookie of the Year is a bit of a curse at times, isn't it? Gillett - went downhill. DCE - went downhill (but he could easily recover), Idris - went downhill. Chris Sandow and Tim Smith won it too, and this is all in the last 7 years.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008

Surely it's a confidence thing with him. You don't just lose those sort of skills he has. It's disappointing to see.

And I hope it's not that it's being coached out of him and so he's second guessing his instincts when he gets involved.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Surely it's a confidence thing with him. You don't just lose those sort of skills he has. It's disappointing to see.

And I hope it's not that it's being coached out of him and so he's second guessing his instincts when he gets involved.

I don't see how anything is being coached out of Gillett. Sure Hook had him playing in the middle of the field earlier this year but since Origin he has been playing on the fringes and getting big minutes. He is head ****ed at the moment IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Cavalo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.