POST GAME [Round 25, 2021] Broncos vs Knights

Actually, I wasn't LOL, did I go too far?
OK, maybe I did. But let's look at the focal point, the claim that an AFL coach will cause Coates not to drop a ball in all of 2022. I claimed that as a stupid comment and I stand by that. The evidence for that belief is that AFL players fly high for the mark and drop the ball on a regular basis. Coates will be no different. It is one of the dumbest things I've ever read.
I'm going to guess that your comment was more pointed toward the stuff I said after that?
My issue is the claims you made about AFL is just not true. Whether or not Coates handling can be improved with coaching is definitely up for debate but claiming that AFL is about not catching the ball when the Mark is one of the biggest parts of the game is just wrong. Sometimes they will drop it when marking either through contested marks or an error but via percentage the amount of catchable dropped balls is very low, unless you aren't very good.

It just speaks like someone that doesn't watch AFL/know the sport but has an opinion on it anyway.

I agree with you but it turns out that the try should have been disallowed anyway due to the "downtown" rule ... just watched Annesley's review and he's totally correct ... everyone missed it.
Pretty stupid from Annesley to bring it to everyone's attention heading into the finals.

The rule itself has been used about twice in the last 20yr and the most recent one that favoured a darling team was met with confusion and a bit of controversy.

He could've just let sleeping dogs lie and ignored it, but now that he's raised it, it will be fresh in commentators and bunker refs minds heading into the finals.

It's such an obscure rule that has very little bearing, but now that it's fresh in the mind you can just tell that it will pop up during finals either as a penalty given at a critical point, a try taken away or a downtown incident missed/ ignored by the officials

But no ... Analsley decides to bring it up to hit the Broncos one last time, even though not one person cared or flagged the downtown aspect of the try throughout the whole round.

Chaos!!!
On Fire GIF

Pretty stupid from Annesley to bring it to everyone's attention heading into the finals.

The rule itself has been used about twice in the last 20yr and the most recent one that favoured a darling team was met with confusion and a bit of controversy.

He could've just let sleeping dogs lie and ignored it, but now that he's raised it, it will be fresh in commentators and bunker refs minds heading into the finals.

It's such an obscure rule that has very little bearing, but now that it's fresh in the mind you can just tell that it will pop up during finals either as a penalty given at a critical point, a try taken away or a downtown incident missed/ ignored by the officials

But no ... Analsley decides to bring it up to hit the Broncos one last time, even though not one person cared or flagged the downtown aspect of the try throughout the whole round.
I thought it was hilarious watching Annesley try and deflect the blame from the bunker onto the on field officials. He made himself look like a goose.

I actually think he suffers from the same problem as Isaako, a little bit too much muscle for an outside back.

Might sound counterproductive, but it's true. Have a look at the physique's of the best fullbacks in the world, Trbojevic & Tedesco... The leading try scorers in the NRL this season, Johnston, Addo-Carr, Saab, Garrick.. They're shredded, but they're certainly not hulking with biceps & quads like Isaako & Niu. Having an extra 5KG of muscle has it's advantages, but I think being slightly heavier, slower & quicker to fatigue outweighs the advantages. They would both benefit as players from skipping a few weight sessions a week and upping their cardio, I guarantee it.
I agree man, but we could see a different Tesi next year. His pre season regime was for a centre defending in the front line. So I think we could see a slimmer/fitter Tesi.

My issue is the claims you made about AFL is just not true. Whether or not Coates handling can be improved with coaching is definitely up for debate but claiming that AFL is about not catching the ball when the Mark is one of the biggest parts of the game is just wrong. Sometimes they will drop it when marking either through contested marks or an error but via percentage the amount of catchable dropped balls is very low, unless you aren't very good.

It just speaks like someone that doesn't watch AFL/know the sport but has an opinion on it anyway.

Waaay less contested marks in AFL now days .
Kicking to team mates on their own in space and hand balls are the modern game . Rarely see hangers like when I was a kid in the 80s .Marking in contested situations is no where near as common now . It`s a game of keepings off . Less contests = good .
And contested catches of the ball are what Xavier is failing at . He gets his hands to the ball the majority of times but doesn`t have the touch to bring it to the ground under control . Maybe he could get one on one coaching from Kyle Feldt ? A guy who can catch a contested ball and place it on the ground .

Fair enough mate, my point is simply the claim that AFL training will make it so that Coates won't drop a ball all season is totally stupid. And that's because AFL players drop contested marks all the time. This is fact. I confess to going a bit too far after that, but that stems from my lack of respect for the fact that the AFL pays a mark even when a guy drops the ball. It's one of the things I love about rugby league, the emphasis on ball skills - catching actually means catching. So yeah I went a bit too far, but my base point is true, AFL coaching will not ensure Coates catches every pill.

Hopefully that clarifies what I was trying to say / should have said.

I'm actually Adelaide born and bred, never lived anywhere else and grew up on the Aussie Rules, family treated it like a religion, I've played it, and still watch it now (because family watch it, not because I enjoy it anymore LOL)

Fast lads we have. Suprised Herbie isnt in there as well

Active Now

• mrslong
  • Financeguy
  • Manlyman
  • Culhwch
  • BooKhaki
  • bb_gun
  • johnny plath
  • Mick_Hancock
  • GCBRONCO
  • Dash
  • Bucking Beads
  • Strop
  • Morkel
  • Skyblues87
  • Justwin
  • Rambstien
  • Wolfie
  • Fitzy
  • TimWhatley
  • azza.79
... and 19 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.